My blog, blog posts in general

My blog, blog posts in general

Postby Jastiv » 28 Mar 2013, 00:41

I started another blog in addition to my wograld gory details development blog. It is about the free software community in general I call it. "Free Software Community Rants", replacing the old random rants title even though I kept the old posts up there. I recently gave it a new description. If people start reading it, I might go ahead and make more posts there.

If anyone here has any free software related or software development related blogs, maybe leave some links in this thread. I decided to use a blogspot blog since blogs attached to forums tend to go away and tend not to be too well organized.

Oh, I almost forgot the most important part, the url
http://jastiv.blogspot.com/
Jastiv

Re: My blog, blog posts in general

Postby Evropi » 28 Mar 2013, 00:45

>free software blog
>using Blogspot
>not using a free software blogging platform such as Wordpress

Damn, why are the [color] tags disabled?
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby Jastiv » 28 Mar 2013, 02:05

I started the blog back when roots started writing personal posts about himself as lead developer of his free software project allacrost several years ago. Since he used it, I started using it for blogging as well. Lazy reason, I guess.

I never thought about one hosted service solution as being better than another. I'm pretty lazy to set up blogging software on a web server, I did play with some of that a bit at one point.

Well, he quit with the free software project, and I didn't. I'm not going to stop till I die, I guess, and then I'll come back as a ghost and posses people in order to keep working on it.
Jastiv

Postby qubodup » 28 Mar 2013, 08:08

Usability test report: one test subject refuses to read a blog with such a color theme.

Non-freeness of blog: ha! Free Gamer is no better! (Only difference is that we use a free content license...)

Color tags are disabled because of different color themes being officially supported on this blog. See forum settings.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Bertram » 28 Mar 2013, 09:44

Hi Jastiv,

I really enjoyed reading your rants about free software, which are mentioning a crude reality of that kind of world.
It's quite important to be remembered how lowly human one can be sometimes. ;)

And yes, I know I'm only an unexisting C++ monkey developer (See the ego part in the ++?) who did a fork that is mostly going to be a disaster.

That said, I'd say I'm lucky to have a family, you know, the thing that gives you love and balance in your live, and mostly prevents you from becoming
a anti-social nerd. ;)

Best regards,
Bertram
VT Moderator

Postby Evropi » 28 Mar 2013, 14:46

Jastiv {l Wrote}:I never thought about one hosted service solution as being better than another. I'm pretty lazy to set up blogging software on a web server, I did play with some of that a bit at one point.

Heh, funnily enough, I specifically said WordPress because it's often cited as an open source success story due to its (free) hosted version on WordPress.com. Guys are open source nuts by the way and it has helped them greatly in developing the platform.

qubodup {l Wrote}:Color tags are disabled because of different color schemes being officially supported on this blog.

This sentence makes no sense. :?

Read a few of your blog posts by the way, not bad. You may as well call it the 'development process' or 'I only use the FSF-approved vocabulary' blog though. As for your hackers blog post by the way, if I may make an addendum, I think there are still no truly great open source game engines. We (damn, I hate this us vs them thing but I can't express my self otherwise) have yet to reach out to the modding community on the likes of ModDB who usually won't end up getting hired by the parent companies whose games they're modding. Why don't they release their original content or code under a free license? It is legally allowed if you're just writing to an API for code, and for content obviously, it's all in your hands. They are the next game developers and since they're not making money from their mods, why not assist the community a bit? :)
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby Julius » 28 Mar 2013, 19:23

Evropi {l Wrote}:have yet to reach out to the modding community on the likes of ModDB who usually won't end up getting hired by the parent companies whose games they're modding. Why don't they release their original content or code under a free license? It is legally allowed if you're just writing to an API for code, and for content obviously, it's all in your hands. They are the next game developers and since they're not making money from their mods, why not assist the community a bit? :)

Uhh, I could write a long rant about that... believe it or not but that has been attempted be us(me?) for years!

There is very limited interest in that I have come to realize now and I attribute that to the following reasons:
1. Artist want to retain full control over their works most of the time, and rather have it rot on their hard-drive than having others benefit or haven forbid modify it...(that is the rant part).
2. Most really good modders are in it as a showcase piece to get a job (not have their mod commercialized mind you), for that you need to prove that it was done on an industry standard engine and with such tools. In other words, forget about using Blender and all mods need to be on the Unreal engine, Unity or the like. (this makes sense from their standpoint).
3. Related to the above: If they would release their game-ready artwork under an open license it would show up in different games and places potentially, and thus would not be a unique part of their portfolio with the potential that game industry recruiters think they have just taken "that free model" and slapped it on their portfolio. (this is related to the above, but in reality is a pretty unrealistic fear).
4. Don't care about and can't be bothered spending even 5 minutes on licensing considerations, so everything is "all rights reserved".

By now I am happy for every "hobbyist" medium skilled modder that sees reason and pretty much abandoned the idea of getting a job. But in general it is more likely that an open-source enthusiast learns how to do nice artwork to support their favorite FOSS game, than that you manage to convince a "modder".
Julius
Community Moderator