Crowdfunding for Torque3D MIT Linux port

Crowdfunding for Torque3D MIT Linux port

Postby Julius » 21 Dec 2012, 16:35

http://www.indiegogo.com/torque3d-for-linux?c=home

GarageGames is looking for US $ 30.000 to speed up the creation of a Linux port. Seems a tad steep in terms of cash amount (given it used to run on Linux, and there is a already on-going slow community effort to port it AFAIK), but I guess it is a cause worth supporting.
Julius
Community Moderator

Re: Crowdfunding for Torque3D MIT Linux port

Postby Evropi » 22 Dec 2012, 12:38

Yeah, I thought it was kind of steep too, but a serious game engine like Torque has lots of platform-specific code.

Anyway, GarageGames' open-sourcing of their engine is how open-sourcing is done RIGHT The pace of development has been consistently superfast and GarageGames was very successful in attracting contributors and keeping them, too. They also provide regular updates which keep people anticipating the new release It was a hell of a lot more than a code drop.

It's worth it, and Torque is a great engine. A lot of indie developers are looking at (and switching en-masse from GameMaker et al) the Unity3D engine. A big part of that is excellent cross-platform support. GameMaker in particular has had troubles with OS X, where the working environment is somewhat different. Torque allows people to produce binaries for Linux from within Windows or Mac... now THAT is amazing and it is aiming VERY high (but I think they can totally pull it off). Donated!
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi