Favorite/ least favorite genre of games?

Favorite/ least favorite genre of games?

Postby Jastiv » 06 Sep 2012, 06:30

What is your favorite/ least favorite game genre?

My favorite would have to be rpgs, I especially like mmorpgs that have game mechanics I enjoy. I also like rpgs and rpg style games in general. I think the reason is I enjoy the adventure aspect of the story but without the boxed in stuck on the puzzle feel of puzzle based games, or the 1000 deaths of platforms.
Many rpgs also have a sandbox feel where you get to do whatever you want and not have to do things entirely in order.

Fantasy themed strategy games come a close second for me. I've played quite a few.

My least favorite genre would have to be sports games. I could never understand the appeal of football or golf on the computer. Race and skateboarding games also fall in this category. Even a completely made up sport frustrates me such as the one in final fantasy 8. I also played Runescape with its really boring agility skill. It makes me want to go outside and do real agility, not play a stupid game.
Jastiv

Re: Favorite/ least favorite genre of games?

Postby Julius » 06 Sep 2012, 10:49

This is getting a bit spammy, but well...

My least favorite are also sport games, but sandbox rpg/GTA like games come a close second. If I want to run around and do shitty tasks and deliver stuff... run point A to point B I might as well look for a job with UPS.

My favorite are multiplayer FPS (competitive or coop), with really well made multiplayer focused RTS as a close second. I also enjoy story driven FPS, even though they are usually too restrictive... but well I play them more like a would watch a movie. Oh and turn based strategy games are often really cool too.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 06 Sep 2012, 13:06

I love open source games.

My least favourite are proprietary games.

:D
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Tranberry » 06 Sep 2012, 15:57

I love well designed game.

My least favourite are badly designed games.

:D
I agree with Q until I post differently.
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby Egberto » 06 Sep 2012, 16:39

Yes I love a well designed game too.

RPGS, strategy, adventure, FPS, and etc.
Egberto

Postby Bifitc » 09 Sep 2012, 16:15

Mine is RPG. Especially party based western RPG like EOB, Wizardry, Planescape or Dragon Age.

Shame I haven't seen any good FLOSS party based RPGs.
Bifitc

Postby DangerOnTheRanger » 13 Sep 2012, 18:25

Favorite genre? Definitely the fighting genre. Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - those sort of games.

Least-favorite genre would probably be survival horror. Running away from monsters I can't kill is just not up my alley.
DangerOnTheRanger

Postby MCMic » 14 Sep 2012, 16:03

DangerOnTheRanger {l Wrote}:Favorite genre? Definitely the fighting genre. Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - those sort of games.

Have you find any good FOSS games in this genre?
MCMic

Postby charlie » 14 Sep 2012, 16:16

Paintown? Ripped artwork though: http://paintown.sourceforge.net/
There is also OpenMortal: http://apocalypse.rulez.org/~upi/Mortal/
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby leilei » 15 Sep 2012, 00:32

OpenMortal has some ripped artwork too. *cough*DESCENT EXPLOSION*cough*, and even the monkey face clipart used for the logo is suspect

PainTown is the unfortunate example of how lax Sourceforge is when it comes to issues like that.
leilei

Postby DangerOnTheRanger » 17 Sep 2012, 02:14

MCMic {l Wrote}:
DangerOnTheRanger {l Wrote}:Favorite genre? Definitely the fighting genre. Street Fighter, Marvel vs. Capcom, Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - those sort of games.

Not yet. I've been looking for quite some time - fighting games are just one of those genres that take a ton of time and effort to do right, which is probably why there aren't any good FOSS fighting games yet.

charlie {l Wrote}:Paintown? Ripped artwork though: http://paintown.sourceforge.net/

Paintown is way too unbalanced to be considered "serious"/tournament-worthy unfortunately, and since I generally only play fighting games at a tournament level, that's kind of a show-stopper for me. I hadn't seen OpenMortal before, but 1) the project seems dead 2) I'm not a fan of Mortal Kombat's mechanics, so I doubt I'd like it much, either.

EDIT: There was a discussion on Reddit a short while ago about just this sort of thing.
DangerOnTheRanger

Postby Evropi » 19 Sep 2012, 18:16

My favourites are class-based shooter games that are played on big maps and have vehicles. Battlefield-style in other words, which is something FOSS is sorely missing. Xonotic doesn't really count as it's far too fast-paced.

My least favourite games are realistic race games. Do note I LOVE unrealistic racing games (though only on splitscreen), but GT and Speed Dreams are simulation games... treat them as such! They're boring to anyone who is not a gearhead. Same goes for wargames, BTW, but racing games more so as realistic racers are well into the mainstream market whereas wargames are anything but (thank God).
You just wasted 3 seconds of your life reading this.
Evropi

Postby Hikou » 22 Dec 2012, 19:48

DangerOnTheRanger {l Wrote}:
MCMic {l Wrote}:

Not yet. I've been looking for quite some time - fighting games are just one of those genres that take a ton of time and effort to do right, which is probably why there aren't any good FOSS fighting games yet.

charlie {l Wrote}:Paintown? Ripped artwork though: http://paintown.sourceforge.net/

Paintown is way too unbalanced to be considered "serious"/tournament-worthy unfortunately, and since I generally only play fighting games at a tournament level, that's kind of a show-stopper for me. I hadn't seen OpenMortal before, but 1) the project seems dead 2) I'm not a fan of Mortal Kombat's mechanics, so I doubt I'd like it much, either.

EDIT: There was a discussion on Reddit a short while ago about just this sort of thing.

Hi ! I'm new to freegamedev.
Concerning free software fighting games, I've been developping one since mid-2010, called Hikou no mizu. Currently it's not really playable (no gameplay), but the 0.2 release should include new anime-style graphics and good fighting abilities, ...
Regards, Hikou.
Hikou

Postby alexander » 26 Dec 2012, 14:59

I'm also one of those attempted fighting game devs, https://github.com/stiell/limbs-off. it's a Super Smash Bros-like game... in space! patches welcome!

development has been slow lately, but I'll be working on some patches next month, and we'll have a part-time developer for the next five months is addition to us two authors who are working... very sporadically on the game.
alexander

Postby Dread Knight » 26 Jan 2013, 02:50

I'm more into turn based games overall or strategy games. Actually developing a free open source browser based tbs myself with a lot of other people http://AncientBeast.com

Played a lot of moba but I'm sick and tired of that stuff. Also I don't get sports on the pc/consoles and I'm rather scared of MMORPGs as they want to drag you into their fantasy worlds.
AncientBeast.com - Battle other players by materializing and controlling awesome creatures, each having unique abilities!
FM Patreon page - Support the free open source game development foundation and creation of high quality free assets!
Dread Knight
AB Moderator

Postby LadyQueen » 28 Jan 2013, 22:10

Even if I'm a great lover of RPGs and MMORPGs (any background), my favourite genre of game are puzzles/brain teasers.
Also, I'm fascinated by stealth game, but not as for puzzles.
More they are 'pixellous' and 'garage-coded', morer I like them. :heart:

Uh, well, I don't like gaming at the most of classic sport games like soccer, football and so on.
(and I love ANY game in which I can beat my husband XD)
Sanity is found at the centre of convulsion, where madness is scorched form the bisected soul.
LadyQueen

Postby shirish » 30 Jan 2013, 16:56

like rpg's and would have love to have some kind of sims/virtual families/virtual villagers/life 2.0 kinda games. Kinda village/town/self simulation games.

The least are fps or any of the action because I never got it.
shirish

Postby qubodup » 30 Jan 2013, 22:07

shirish {l Wrote}:The least are fps or any of the action because I never got it.

Have you ever tried multiplayer deathmatch or team games in fps? I enjoy trying to get into the head of the contestants and surprising them by taking paths and tactics which I think surprise them enough for me to overcome them.
  • I dislike most sports games except fun racing games like STK
  • I like StarCraft-like RTS (so I like Bos Wars a lot), Jagged Alliance 2 style turn based strategy (the personalities and item description play a big role in my enjoyment).
  • I like FPS like Xonotic and
  • some RPGs, where Baldur's Gate 2 and Fallout 1/2 being my favorites, so I'm very interested in the development of DNT in the past.
  • I also love sneaking games like Thief 1/2 and Deus Ex 3, of which I know no open source equivalents.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 31 Jan 2013, 11:20

"The Dark Mod" will be soon a worthy open-source equivalent of Thief etc. They seem to e making good progress for their Doom3 GPL source based stand alone version.
Julius
Community Moderator