Personally Recommended Open Source Android Games

Personally Recommended Open Source Android Games

Postby qubodup » 21 Aug 2012, 16:50

On my Android smartphone (HTC Wildfire, aka Buzz) I have been playing a lot of Scrambled Net lately, Frozen Bubble before that. Both are relatively slow-paced puzzle games.

ImageImage

I knew Frozen Bubble from the desktop and searched for it while I found Scrambled Net via F-Droid, which is a small market that contains only open source (including non-free content) software and has a games category.

Does anybody have personal recommendations for free, open source Android games?
qubodup
Global Moderator

Re: Personally Recommended Open Source Android Games

Postby charlie » 21 Aug 2012, 22:20

From the F-Droid list:

- Replica Island (very good game)
- GL Tron
- Vector Pinball looked interesting
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby charlie » 21 Aug 2012, 22:40

Andor's Trail looks very promising!

Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby mdwh » 21 Aug 2012, 22:55

I don't have any recommendations, but thanks for the link to F-Droid - it's cool to see some open source on Android. (I'm also getting increasingly fed up that a lot of free Android software turns out to be hidden ad-ware. Okay, nothing wrong with being ad-supported, but few apps are honest about it, and sometimes you don't notice until they start popping up a day after install; and there's no way to filter them out when searching, as the only options are "paid" or "free" - it's also annoying from a developer point of view - even if I wrote a free and ad-free alternative, there'd be no easy way for people to know this difference.)

Also it looks it would be a nice place to try distributing open source Android apps, towards an audience interested in finding open source.
mdwh

Postby MCMic » 22 Aug 2012, 00:18

Well I did not like andor's trail and replica island, those games are too complicated to be played on my smartphone, I wan't simple games for when I have to wait for some time.
So I like frozen bubble but I've done the 100 levels several times, I'm bored now. These times I'm into FreeCell and VectorPinball (which needs hardware button support please).
I'll try scrambled net when I have the occasion.
MCMic

Postby qubodup » 22 Aug 2012, 23:10

charlie {l Wrote}:From the F-Droid list:

- Replica Island (very good game)

I can't install Replica Island from Google Play because it is "incompatible" but I can from F-Droid. It runs extremely slowly (as far as I know, the reason is that HTC Wildfire/Buzz has no hardware accelerated graphics) but at least I get to try it a bit.

Andor's Trail is very pretty but non-free and I wasn't able to enjoy it, possibly because of not having keys on my device and it being slow but also because of the dominant grinding mechanic.
qubodup
Global Moderator