Questverse On IndieGoGo – Freed If Funded !

Re: Questverse On IndieGoGo – Freed If Funded !

Postby charlie » 09 Aug 2012, 22:49

Here's the indiegogo link:
http://www.indiegogo.com/questverse

I don't see it reaching $10k. I can't see anything compelling about it.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 10 Aug 2012, 16:31

I think many people are rather mistaken at what is actually successful on Kickstarter etc.
Hobbyist projects are for sure not, even the semi-professional Overdose project failed miserably to get the funds they asked for.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Tranberry » 10 Aug 2012, 19:04

Julius, so tell us. I do agree with you that people are throwing up things at kickstarter and similar sites without thinking, but you post kind of lacks weight without any context to that statement.
I agree with Q until I post differently.
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby Julius » 10 Aug 2012, 20:01

Heh, I knew someone would ask :p
But if I knew what was successful at Kickstarter, I would be rolling in my crowd-funded millions on my private (and secret) yacht in the Caribbeans, wouldn't I? ;)

However to me it seems that it has been mostly PC focused projects that would have had an easy time to get publisher funding back in the day when the publishers didn't have their a**es too high up in the console business. Even the people behind are mostly old and well known PC developers. Well that and some innovative hardware ideas...
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby charlie » 10 Aug 2012, 22:13

I think the OverDose presentation was very, very weak. They really failed to get across what differentiates OverDose's vision from the general FPS crowd - stating that they aimed to be innovative, unique, then failing to actually list (let alone demonstrate) a single innovative, unique feature. They did not describe what the funds would enable, how they would be spent, what would be expected. There's no timetable, not much at all.

OverDose on indiegogo:
http://www.indiegogo.com/overdose

It's just an, "Oh look at our pretty tech demo engine that we made from the Q2 source!" And so what...

Moreover, just the fact that it includes "Id Tech 2" in the title will turn people off. That's 15 year old game technology. It is not an Id Tech 2 game. The code has its origins in Id Tech 2, but is now completely rewritten. Why anchor themselves with it?

Contrast that presentation with the Haunts presentation:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/206 ... se-macabre

This game looks worse, looks simple, but importantly looks original and looks like there's a plan and the funds will get them over the line. You get a real sense of who the guys are, what they are trying to achieve, and that they will be able to do so. They have a worse offering than OverDose, but a far better presentation, and they've raked the funds in.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby Julius » 11 Aug 2012, 00:23

yeah, actually I agree with that... Overdose was just the first thing that came to my mind when I thought about a failed crowd-funding attempt that was *not* due to horrible programmer's art.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Tranberry » 11 Aug 2012, 01:42

Charlie, you are as usual spot on in your analyse, at least in your comments ;D

And it does looks like sub-par compared to regular FLOSS games I follow, while the idea sounds interesting.

Edit: What's up with these stupid unlock things I see on kickstarter? I mean to me that looks more like withholding stuff if I don't pay up, are we as a crowd really this stupid?
I agree with Q until I post differently.
Tranberry
Community Moderator

Postby Cire » 12 Aug 2012, 20:50

Hi lunarts!

I think your game looks nice. I appreciate that you will release it for GNU/Linux first and that you will release it as freeware and open source if you get the 10000$. Sorry that I can't afford to give any money myself but I wish you good luck in reaching your goal :).

WBR
Cire

Postby shirish » 04 Sep 2012, 19:30

I saw the project description and quite a few things stood out. I am not a native English speaker myself but the amount of spelling mistakes you have made both in the description of the game you are attempting to make as well as of the games you shared about does go against you. Even the language that has been used needs to improve much more as well as ideation . For e.g. the word the word you used a lot should be 'campaigning' and NOT 'campaing' . I do understand that you come from Brazil but then I'm from India myself so in one sense we are both from similar backgrounds (in sense of developing countries).

That being said when you are trying to get funding for anything (and more so a game) then you need to put your act on a higher level. As far as the thing about newbies go, check these people out. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ouy ... me-console

Now that's a different thing altogether (it's about a hardware game console) and at least from whatever they shared they don't seem to know anybody but they knew what and how to pitch (the emotional and practical stuff) . Now while many people are skeptical (including yours truly) it does make a point that if you can pitch well you have possibility to get funding. (I'm not trying to get you down in anyway, just sharing).

That's all for now, till l8er.
shirish