Is DNT dead?

Is DNT dead?

Postby yeneb » 01 Jul 2020, 09:39

Has been a year since last post forum (except for mine yesterday, still unanswered) and even more since last news post.
yeneb

Re: Is DNT dead?

Postby Julius » 01 Jul 2020, 20:45

I guess Farrer is the only person to answer that, but no answer in 24h on a low traffic forum? It must be dead for sure /s
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby farrer » 02 Jul 2020, 14:26

DNT isn't dead. It just smells funny.

In fact, it's on a hiatus. I have a WIP conversion that uses Ogre (2.2+) as its rendering engine, and AngelScript to control all RPG things (the idea is to allow DNT to be fully modable). There are some things to port to this from the old engine (outdoor maps, for example, isn't yet implemented), but I'm not sure when I'll have time to do this. This is currently hosted here.

I also decopled the inhouse GUI library used by DNT, and I'm developing it as a standalone library with renderers for SDL, OpenGL and Ogre3d (both 1.x and 2.x), which can be found here.

I tend to move it from github to gitlab (or somewhere), but didn't had the time to do so.
farrer

Postby rogerdv » 02 Jul 2020, 14:31

farrer {l Wrote}:
DNT isn't dead. It just smells funny.

I also decopled the inhouse GUI library used by DNT, and I'm developing it as a standalone library with renderers for SDL, OpenGL and Ogre3d (both 1.x and 2.x), which can be found here.

I tend to move it from github to gitlab (or somewhere), but didn't had the time to do so.

Why not to use a third party UI lib? I dont know if still CeGUI exists.
rogerdv

Postby farrer » 02 Jul 2020, 14:39

rogerdv {l Wrote}:Why not to use a third party UI lib? I dont know if still CeGUI exists.

Simple because it was already implemented and used by DNT, and because that in the time I ported the code to use Ogre 2.1 (in 2016, if I'm not mistaken), there's no GUI functional for the "new" Ogre, so I just implemented an Ogre 2.1 renderer to Farso (and years latter adapted it to Ogre 2.2).
farrer