Are there any Nobunaga-like games?

Are there any Nobunaga-like games?

Postby windkicker » 22 Apr 2016, 02:50

Hello. I’m thinking about writing a little strategy game similar to Koei’s proprietary Nobunaga’s Ambition and Dynasty Warriors.

But, I’d prefer to contribute to an existing codebase, if I could. Is there a FLOSS game like that?
windkicker

Re: Are there any Nobunaga-like games?

Postby Julius » 22 Apr 2016, 14:23

I am not familiar with these games, but for the older 2D versions it seems like "Tanks of Freedom" or "Battle for Wesnoth" could be similar or at least be a good start as a code base? Especially the first is interesting because it runs on the very adaptable and easy to use Godot engine.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby windkicker » 02 May 2016, 16:50

Thanks for these suggestions. I played Battle for Wesnoth, and it’s a really good game.

I actually seek the “manage a country and capture territories” part of the Nobunaga games rather than the battles. But, thanks for introducing me to these cool games anyway!
windkicker

Postby Julius » 03 May 2016, 12:44

Maybe Triple-A then: http://triplea-game.github.io/ ? But I don't think there is right now a FOSS game that combines both.
Julius
Community Moderator

Postby Andrettin » 03 May 2016, 21:23

windkicker {l Wrote}:Thanks for these suggestions. I played Battle for Wesnoth, and it’s a really good game.

I actually seek the “manage a country and capture territories” part of the Nobunaga games rather than the battles. But, thanks for introducing me to these cool games anyway!

I haven't played the Nobunaga's Ambition or Dynasty Warriors, but in regards to managing a country and capturing territories, Wyrmsun has a grand strategy mode in which you do exactly that:

Andrettin
Wyrmsun Moderator