Concept art and logos: new updates.

Concept art and logos: new updates.

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Mar 2015, 04:53

Hey guys!

I'm currently finishing the remake of "Arena Stadium", that's almost completed and will be
released in the next two or three weeks. In my story, the race happens inside the "LAS DUNAS
ARENA"
, in a fictional country like USA. The race is the main event of the night (there's a big
poster showing the schedules). I will not reveal more details for while.

This is a track inside an arena and you find almost everything common for this kind of event,
including the sponsors. Well, I took a look at the directory to find (and use) the official logos
of those fictional companies of STK's world, but I didn't find any logo (actually I found only
one as explained bellow). Ok, I wouldn't lose the opportunity to improve the realism of my track
due to lack of official logos of the fictional sponsors who bring the event to the public and
TV. So, had to draw my ones and they will be used, rain or shine. ;)

There's a live broadcasting by a fictional local TV station KMYZ (they like this kind of weird
names there), chanel 5, and the race is showed (actually,it's not, but there's just a static
screen showing the grid as if was the TV station) in real time in two big screens.

The track is complete except for some objects to texturize. This mean that I will not modify or
make any correction in the graphic (textures, logos, shape and size of the objects) since I have
other things to do, what includes too another track already modelled and ready for be texturized.
Then, these are my logos as they appear on my track:
Attachments
01.jpg
Some logos.
02.jpg
Different options for the TUXEL logo.
03.jpg
Ok, I noticed later the "Cupcake Airways" logo already made by someone, but I'm showing mine anyway.
04.jpg
Two different versions for the "Sunshine Cola" label made on Inkscape (art and cans are vetor).
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 29 Mar 2015, 12:13, edited 3 times in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Re: Concept art, logos and a new object.

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Mar 2015, 04:57

My original plan included an animation of a RC controlled drone with the cam that make the takes from aerial view of the track, but my brother told me to use a blimp instead of drone and I immediately agreed, because that's the most common in the real arenas.

So, he made the blimp in 3D and I started drawing on Inkscape the logos and the texture to be used on the blimp. The main logo belongs to the fictional national kart league of that country, the organzation that invited the STK drivers to drive in Las Dunas. The following images show you the blimp as it is on my track.
Attachments
05.jpg
3D model made using Autodesk Maya. Texture made on Inkscape.
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 09 Mar 2015, 05:14, edited 2 times in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Mar 2015, 05:00

I made a version of the blimp for the game itself, replacing the logo of the local league with the STK logo. This blimp could be used as animation (this reminds me the balloon on "Snow Mountain" and the spacecraft flying over "Skyline") of a device carrying fake RC camera for some tracks outdoor like Tux Toolway, S. Sands, S. Suburbs, and other. However, if the team have some interest, the blimp could feature in the future a real camera to show the aerial view of the tracks for the gamers, but this is not the purpose of my suggestion.

I hope you like my idea. Opinions are welcomed.
Attachments
06.jpg
Print screen.
07.jpg
Above: Maya redering. Bellow: Inkscape art.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby samuncle » 09 Mar 2015, 06:17

WOOOOOOOW that's amazing :) I'm happy and sad (Happy because your concepts are awesome, sad because some of the brand were already done :|).

I'm currently finishing the remake of "Arena Stadium", that's almost completed and will be
released in the next two or three weeks

\o/ it's super cool :). You can keep it secrets sure but I suggest you to send me the track in private if you want so I can give you some advices. I have some experiences in track making so if I can help you and avoid some usual problems.
Well, I took a look at the directory to find (and use) the official logos of those fictional companies of STK's world, but I didn't find any logo. So, had to draw my ones and they will be used, rain or shine. ;)

And that's the issue :(. Some of the logos are already done and they will be used in official core track (for universe consistency among the track). You can use your logos for an addons no problem ^^. However I have good news :) don't panic. Let me explain.
I already imagine the awesomeness of the arena with the public and all that.

Here is a detailed review of each logo and concept.

Chanel 5 and KMYZ
There's a live broadcasting by a fictional local TV station KMYZ (they like this kind of weird
names there), chanel 5, and the race is showed (actually,it's not, but there's just a static
screen showing the grid as if was the TV station) in real time in two big screens.

Belive it or not but I had the idea of adding a random strange radio station name (like WKZA). The idea is very good however I would rather suggest to use an acronym that mean something. Like for instance (this is just an example) WTF World's Truth Frequency :P.
It seems also you have made a mistake. It's Channel not Chanel, however this easy to fix. I see another issue with Channel 5, it's a real company. We should avoid a direct reference like that. Sometime it's not possible but in this case there is a simple solution. Just change Chanel 5 to Channel 37. It's an unused channel in many country so no station is broadcasting in this band.. So keep the logo and just change the number and correct the typo.

Harvey & Weylin
Very well done. It looks like a real logo. I hope it's not too close to a real one ^^. This logo will be definitely included in the game not sure yet where but yes that will become the official logo. An ancient old school version will be done for the track Scotland (since their headquarter are there and this uber modern logo doesn't fit with the mood track). But that's fine ^^ (a lot of other company will undergo the same treatment for particular tracks).

OPAC
It seems too simple and too basic. Someone already did a cool logo with this company. The one made by the other artist is a bit better. However the slogan of the company is awesome and we will include it in the current logo
logocouleur.png

Vaalbara
It's definitly interesting and way better than mine which was something quite basic and quickly done. I will use yours for the main public logo, and for the broadcast division mine (which has an awesome looking antenna. It might be also used in the radio mast of your radio station :). Not sure yet. We need to brainstorm about this.
vaal.png
vaal.png (68.57 KiB) Viewed 16175 times

Wegacom
It will be used as an official logo. Since wegacom (afaik) no logo.

Dizzy World
It looks cool but I see a major issue there. It's very very similar to a well known big corporation. While the logo is nice it should be changed :(. The name is already pretty close to this real life company so let's not push it further. Here is a version that was done. BTW this will be a track (in an amusement park).
dizzy.png

Nolok industries
So far nothing was done for Nolok industries. The name is currently just written in the track "The old mine" in some box. However it looks less professional compared to other :[. Sure it does the job but for instance the quality isn't the same compared to Vaalbara and

(I will continue the post later) (and btw don't take this bad ^^. You did an awesome job, it's truly inspiring to see this. The only issue is you did all of this in secrecy so some stuff where already done).
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby Tiger » 09 Mar 2015, 10:47

I liked the blimp. :)
Tiger

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Mar 2015, 10:49

samuncle {l Wrote}:WOOOOOOOW that's amazing :) I'm happy and sad (Happy because your concepts are awesome, sad because some of the brand were already done :|).

Hi! Sam.
Yes, I'm sorry, but I really didn't find the logos before making my own.

samuncle {l Wrote}:\o/ it's super cool :). You can keep it secrets sure but I suggest you to send me the track in private if you want so I can give you some advices. I have some experiences in track making so if I can help you and avoid some usual problems.

Actually I will as soon as possible, as well some renderings.

I already imagine the awesomeness of the arena with the public and all that.
I hope I will not disappoint you, because it's a bit different, but believe: this track will be very fun and excitant to drive.

Belive it or not but I had the idea of adding a random strange radio station name (like WKZA). The idea is very good however I would rather suggest to use an acronym that mean something. Like for instance (this is just an example) WTF World's Truth Frequency :P.

WTF? Really?!! :lol:
Well, KMYZ was the fisrt acronym that came to my mind and I did not a research. Now, I found a real KMYZ, that's a radio station located in Oklahoma, United States.

It seems also you have made a mistake. It's Channel not Chanel
Sorry, but I can't find the mistake. Where's the misspell?

PS. I'm experiencing some trouble with "QUOTE". bold and italic text.
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 09 Mar 2015, 11:09, edited 2 times in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Mar 2015, 10:55

samuncle {l Wrote}:I see another issue with Channel 5, it's a real company. We should avoid a direct reference like that. Just change Chanel 5 to Channel 37. It's an unused channel in many country so no station is broadcasting in this band.. So keep the logo and just change the number and correct the typo.

I really didn't know. No problem. I will do.

OPAC
Ok. I have not any intention to replace the work of another artist. I'm happy you liked the slogan. :)

samuncle {l Wrote}:
Vaalbara
It's definitly interesting and way better than mine which was something quite basic and quickly done. I will use yours for the main public logo, and for the broadcast division mine (which has an awesome looking antenna. It might be also used in the radio mast of your radio station :). Not sure yet. We need to brainstorm about this.
vaal.png

Thank you again. I'm glad to colabore. The antenna looks beautiful, anyway. I really liked it.

samuncle {l Wrote}: It will be used as an official logo. Since wegacom (afaik) no logo.

Nice to read this. Again: I'm happy to be accepted as an official colaborer.

samuncle {l Wrote}:Dizzy World
It looks cool but I see a major issue there. It's very very similar to a well known big corporation. While the logo is nice it should be changed :(.

Actually it was purposeful, as an attempt to make a funny parody of that company, but now, thinking again, it's better we don't include this in the game, because some guys loves lawsuits.:(

The Nolok's logo is not any wonder, but I may try something better if no other person have the intention to create it. What about the subsidiary company Nolok Gear parts & Motors. Do you approve that? The logo looks a bit better than the main company.

samuncle {l Wrote}:(I will continue the post later) (and btw don't take this bad ^^. You did an awesome job, it's truly inspiring to see this.

Thanks a lot, but I would like to know your opinion about the Sunshine logo and can, too.

As said above, I intend to show you some renderings until friday. I hope you like my project, because it's colorful, but it looks like a real arena for that kind of race (you will understand what I mean when you see the images). As always, I did a research and I have found hundred photos that helped me a lot.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby Totoplus62 » 09 Mar 2015, 13:23

samuncle {l Wrote}:OPAC
The one made by the other artist is a bit better.
logocouleur.png

Was it this one ?

I can still help people to create this kind of things in my spare time, if people have precise ideas it's even better.
I must admit i have less time than before

GeekPenguinBR did an amazing world
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Image SuperTuxKart Popularity
Totoplus62

Postby ArDanWol » 09 Mar 2015, 15:39

Nice work GeekPenguinBR! I love the logos you did, and the blimp looks really professional! :) You said something about a story in your first post. This isn't going to be part of story mode is it? :? I'm assuming not because we don't have AI Battle mode yet. Explanation?

Oops, it's a track. My bad. :oops:
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby samuncle » 09 Mar 2015, 18:39

Part #2 of the feedback about logos

Tuxel
afaik there was a tuxel logo in the old tux tollway track. Not sure if we can take inspiration. I feel this one is less professional compared to other :(. Maybe we can use the logo that is present on nitro barrel ? not sure.

Royal Cupcake Airway
it's a bit sad but the livery, logo, etc have been done by me, for one of the plane landing (the giant blue/pink plane). However I do agree it was done very recently and since we are busy with the beta well I didn't had the time to show more stuff (also people will discover that by themselves in game).
The cupcake remind me a picture I found on google image. Is that from you ? I'm not sure now I will try to find it.

The main issue with the livery is: It looks a bit old (like something done in the nineties). The current design in gran paradiso is a bit more modern. The other issue is the logo is too small. I know it's close to a real life airline livery but in our case we want to maximise the logo so the player is able to see it.
airbing1024.jpg

I won't change this logo/brand. However your version might be included as a "legacy plane" in a museum or something showing the story of the universe.

Sunshine Cola
Well done :). Congratulation. The result is very good. An old logo was made for sunshine cola but your version is definitely better. The old logo might be used as a "legacy version" just like Royal Cupcake Airways, in a museum or a fan art.

National Kart League
The idea is just awesome, the airship too. It looks very cool and very realistic. However creating a fictional universe isn't just finding cool names. It's also checking if they aren't widely used in [urlhttp://nationalkartingleague.com/]a real life company/federation/foundation/etc[/url].
A different name should be found. Keep the logo, the color. It's well done, we need just to find a new name :).

So now we have to find a cool name that starts with K or W. Ideally it should mean something in real life and something else in stk. WTF is a good example however it's an "insult" so it's not suitable for stk. Maybe something related to WYSIWYG

We have also to find a new name for the Kart Racing League.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Mar 2015, 20:50

To Samuncle:

I have some names in mind for TV channel: what about EMC2 (Entertainment Media Conglomerate), WKRTX (World Kart Racing Television) or WMC (World Media Conglomerate)?

For the Kart League, I was thinking something like "World Kart Racing League" or "National Kart Racing Association". Do you agree?

Unfortunatelly. There's already some WMCs. :(
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 09 Mar 2015, 21:53, edited 3 times in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Mar 2015, 20:57

ardanwol {l Wrote}:Nice work GeekPenguinBR! I love the logos you did, and the blimp looks really professional! :)

Thanks a lot, ardanwol. :D

The track is placed in a fictional United States. So, I will add some icons of the US culture (nothing with copyright, but cultural aspects in terms of graphic and cars), but I can't explain more for while. You will notice the references when the first renderings of my track be released in the next days.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Mar 2015, 20:59

Totoplus62 {l Wrote}:GeekPenguinBR did an amazing world

Thank you very much, Totoplus62. :D
As said before, I have not any intention to make an art to replace ar work created by another artist.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Mar 2015, 21:33

samuncle {l Wrote}:The cupcake remind me a picture I found on google image. Is that from you ?

No. These were my references:
https://meusdevaneiosvictoria.files.wor ... d-park.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2pdxHwJE1VI/U ... e+100.pngR

References for the golden shades:
http://webplatform.adobe.com/Demo-for-F ... upcake.png
http://www.newkidscenter.com/images/104 ... upcake.jpg

samuncle {l Wrote}:Sunshine Cola
Well done :). Congratulation. The result is very good.

Thank you very much. I tought maybe you and the rest of the team had something different in mind in terms of colors and visual project.

samuncle {l Wrote}:National Kart League
The idea is just awesome, the airship too. It looks very cool and very realistic. However creating a fictional universe isn't just finding cool names. It's also checking if they aren't widely used in [urlhttp://nationalkartingleague.com/]a real life company/federation/foundation/etc[/url].

Well, it seems I need to research better from now on. I'm really bad inventing names, but I had some ideas posted above. I was thinking about some like "World Kart Racing League", "Kart Racing League", "National Kart Racing, "Speed Kart Association", or "Grand Kart Circuit Association"

TV:
WKRTX - World Kart Racing Tux Television
WMC - world media conglomerate
EMC2 - Entertainment Media Conglomerate
wkrtxt - world kart racing tux television
wtxbtv - world tux boadcasting tv
wtxb - world tux broadcasting
wtxbn - world tux broadcasting network
wtbn - world tux broadcasting network

Kart League:
WKRL - world kart raceway league
KRC - kart racing commonwealth
GKL - Grand kart league
KCL - kart cup league
GKCA - grand kart circuit association
GPKL - grand pole position kart league
WKC - world kart commonwealth
SKA - Speedy kart association
GKCL - Grand kart cup league
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 10 Mar 2015, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Mar 2015, 23:19

What about?
Attachments
AIRSHIP A.jpg
AIRSHIP B.jpg
AIRSHIP  C.jpg
GeekPenguinBR

Postby ArDanWol » 10 Mar 2015, 15:17

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:
TV:
WKRTX - World Kart Racing Tux Television
WMC - world media conglomerate
EMC2 - Entertainment Media Conglomerate
wkrtxt - world kart racing tux television
wtxbtv - world tux boadcasting tv
wtxb - world tux broadcasting
wtxbn - world tux broadcasting network
wtbn - world tux broadcasting network

Kart League:
WKRL - world kart raceway league
KRC - kart racing commonwealth
GKL - Grand kart league
KCL - kart cup league
GKCA - grand kart circuit association
GPKL - grand pole position kart league
WKC - world kart commonwealth
SKA - Speedy kart association
GKCL - Grand kart cup league

Personally, I would like "Tux Broadcasting Network" ("TXBN") without the "World" in the front for the TV Channel. I also like "Grand Kart League" ("GKL") for the league name.
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby Tiger » 10 Mar 2015, 18:59

I liked WKRTX and WMC for TV and Grand Kart League too.
Tiger

Postby thamlett » 10 Mar 2015, 19:51

I favor the World Tux Broadcasting line of TV.... mostly because I can see it being the real network name of a tv network
As for the Kart League, I prefer GKCA
Timothy Hamlett
thamlett

Postby GunChleoc » 12 Mar 2015, 20:32

Great job on the logos :)

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:It seems also you have made a mistake. It's Channel not Chanel

Chanel é um perfume, Channel significa "canal".
GunChleoc

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 15 Mar 2015, 00:53

Hey guys!

Thank you ardanwol, Tiger and thamlett for your opinions. I have chosen "World Tux Broadcasting" for TV and "Grand Kart League".
Renderings comming soon. Maybe tomorrow! ;)
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 15 Mar 2015, 09:14, edited 1 time in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 15 Mar 2015, 00:57

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:Great job on the logos :)

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:It seems also you have made a mistake. It's Channel not Chanel

Chanel é um perfume, Channel significa "canal".

I looked at renderings again looking for "chanel" but I didn't find it. :? Actually, only reading all the text again I found the error. :)
Thank you. Obrigado!
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GunChleoc » 17 Mar 2015, 14:06

De nada, glad you found it :)
GunChleoc

Postby samuncle » 17 Mar 2015, 17:39

Hi everyone.

For the blimp I have some ideas. Why having a name like world kart racing league when actually STK just works fine. I think it's better to just put a big STK | Supertuxkart. Fictional corps are cool yep but we don't need thousand of them.

For the radio tv with w*** or k*** it would be cool to have a name that mean something in real life. It's not easy but that might be funnier

Also I did a better logo for Wegacom With the slogan your nightmare is our business
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 18 Mar 2015, 09:27

Hi! Samuncle,

I accepted he suggestions of other members based on the list with names for the kart league and the TV chanel, but, since you prefer STK itself, I'm changing the name for the definitive logo. I will be happy if you adopt it as an object for STK tracks added when necessary (eg. outdoor tracks).

This post will be used for updating my new logos and concept art. I intend to make the logo for Big Farmer, Canyon Junction Railway Corporation and Jerico Natural Park if there's no logo already.

From now, everything related to my project Las Duas Arena will be included in the new proper post for this:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6230
GeekPenguinBR

Postby samuncle » 19 Mar 2015, 03:55

Hello everyone

Sure the blimp is one of my favorite Object :). I can't wait to include it in a track.
Keep the TV channel but replace the kart racing league simply by supertuxkart as you said.

For other logos:
Canyon junction railway corporation has currently no logo. Not sure what would work for a train company.
Big farmers & Co like railway junction has no logo yet. However for this one we should try with a wheat inspired logo. It will Work just fine.
http://www.freelogowizard.com/img/logo/ ... gn_559.png

For Jericho natural park a sequoia could be used. Not sure for that one. More research need to be done
samuncle
STK Moderator