Victorian-style bridge / steampunk track?

Victorian-style bridge / steampunk track?

Postby Binky » 04 Jan 2015, 13:09

On IRC, there was some discussion that there should be steampunk track, featuring old fashioned machines and structures, but in a more cheerful way than many steampunk creations. The era would resemble Victorian Britain, and would be described as Amelian, after Sara's grandmother.

The WIP track "luna" might be a possible starting point for such a track.

I drew a quick concept sketch, and also had a go at modelling a bridge in blender (see below) the bridge is of a style more used by railways than roads, but could work either way.

screenshot2.png
Screenshot of blender model of Victorian bridge (WIP)

screenshot3.png
concept sketch for steampunk/Victorian track
OpenPandora obsessive - You do want a pocket sized Linux PC with gaming controls, don't you?
Full root access out of the box - Full qwerty keyboard - Full battery lasts 15 hours of real work!
Binky

Re: Victorian-style bridge / steampunk track?

Postby Binky » 04 Jan 2015, 16:56

Ignoring the bridge for the moment, here (hopefully) is the .blend file for the viaduct.
There's also an abutment included but not visible.

viaduct-plain.blend.zip
(2.33 MiB) Downloaded 272 times

Textures should be packed in the blend file, but are unmodified from those distributed with stk.
Attachments
screenshot4.png
OpenPandora obsessive - You do want a pocket sized Linux PC with gaming controls, don't you?
Full root access out of the box - Full qwerty keyboard - Full battery lasts 15 hours of real work!
Binky

Postby samuncle » 04 Jan 2015, 23:44

I made for fun a metro map of the City of Lochcester with 4 lines + other details :)

metro.jpg
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby Binky » 05 Jan 2015, 00:23

Model of a small, steam-powered airship:

screenshot5.png
Binky

Postby Binky » 06 Jan 2015, 00:10

Warehouse with quay and tramway:
Using textures from here: http://www.swtexture.com/search/label/S ... 0Stones%29

screenshot6.png
Binky

Postby Binky » 06 Jan 2015, 00:16

Blender files for these models - needs cleaning up, but not too bad:

victorian-models-binky.blend.zip
(8.42 MiB) Downloaded 278 times
Binky

Postby Tiger » 06 Jan 2015, 00:53

Do you have some intention to add a Big Ben type (since the track is not placed in London, I may suppose)?
Tiger

Postby Binky » 06 Jan 2015, 15:57

I will quite likely do a clock tower at some point, although not necessarily as grand as the one at the Palace of Westminster.
Binky

Postby samuncle » 07 Jan 2015, 03:03

I made a concept art for the clocktower. It's similar to the Elizabeth Tower.
Amelia Central Station_4.jpg

The numbers are lit from inside so they glow.
The gears and mechanical stuff are visible it might be funny to see them animated.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby Binky » 08 Jan 2015, 01:37

I like the clock tower, but the buildings look wrong - they remind me of farm buildings, not Victorian industrial structures.
Northlight roofs would help, or this sort of thing.

Having said that, those examples look a bit boring - so not exactly like that ;)
Binky

Postby Tiger » 08 Jan 2015, 01:48

Good! I liked the big clock and the buildings made of bricks. This track is becoming really nice.
Tiger

Postby Akien » 08 Jan 2015, 11:23

Samuncle's buildings do look like a harbour area of the early industrial era, I could very well imagine them in the London docks.
But agree that they don't fit so well with such a rich and mighty tower, that would have been built in an upper-class business area and not in industrial docks IMO. But there is clearly some room for such industrial buildings IMO, maybe just in another part of the track and not at the foot of the tower.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby GunChleoc » 21 Jan 2015, 18:51

samuncle {l Wrote}:I made for fun a metro map of the City of Lochcester with 4 lines + other details :)

Thanks for the laugh :D
GunChleoc

Postby Binky » 27 Feb 2015, 23:37

Finally! Some progress:

Here's a idea for a track map and some screencaps of a very rough 3D model based on it:

The track goes though two buildings: one with a large single-turn helix in it, and one where the track forks into three.
I was thinking of having animated industrial hazards (e.g. big steam hammers that flatten the kart) on each of the three branches.

The high-level section of the track has a point where the player has to cross their own path on the flat - will the game engine cope with that?
Attachments
victrack2.jpg
victrack1.jpg
victoriantrack.jpg
Binky

Postby samuncle » 28 Feb 2015, 00:35

@binky. It's a very cool start :). You are making the first step in track making job. It's called blocking step and it's to see how building/landscape fit together and if it's fun to drive there or not.

I suggest to export this map just like that with very basic color and see how it's in stk, if the time to do a lap is 1min in expert difficulty (as stayed in guidelines).

When the map is working in stk (even with this basic geometry), you can remove and tweak stuff to make it fun and challenging to drive there.
samuncle
STK Moderator