Music for Scotland

Re: Music for Scotland

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 03 Dec 2014, 20:53

Definitely, I liked. Sounds very Scottish for me and you could improve it if you find a good VST of bagpipe. Remember that the low notes in bagpipes remain for many compasses as residual sound.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GunChleoc » 03 Dec 2014, 23:14

I like the tune, but it sounds Irish, not Scottish. Their music is similar, but not the same, and locals will notice the difference.

Here are some examples of Scottish music. Listen for the "Scottish snap" in the rhythm - the second note often comes very fast.

Pipe medley

Pipe & fiddle

Puirt a beul - traditionally, they would have been performed slower.

Another song - This one is slower, but you can hear the Scottish Snap very well.

Dance music with accordion

Rock music with traditional influences

And just because: Classical ceòl mòr with smallpipes

BTW all the tunes except for the Runrig songs are traditional, so the melodies can be reused.

This tune would fit right in Or this one
Last edited by GunChleoc on 04 Dec 2014, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
GunChleoc

Postby samuncle » 04 Dec 2014, 00:03

I'm not sure what will be the future of scotland track but I'm in favor of removing a strong reference like that to a real country/region.
We might use a typical Scottish/Irish region but not a real country.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 04 Dec 2014, 00:44

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:I like the tune, but it sounds Irish, not Scottish. Their music is similar, but not the same, and locals will notice the difference.

Good to know. I said that is sounds very Scottish (Sorry for my ignorance but, at least, I'm not as wrong as people who confuse salsa, a Caribbean musical style and samba, one of the many musical styles from Rio).
GeekPenguinBR

Postby Auria » 04 Dec 2014, 01:12

I agree with samuncle, I wouldn't worry about the specific of how it sounds, as we aren't trying to represent actual places and the track is likely to be renamed anyway.

Overall the song is pretty nice! What would help it most are better soundsynths, and perhaps a little more rythm starting around 0:32 (a bit like OzoneOne added on your other songs ;) this is a racing game so can't be too soft, a little more rythm percussions usually help IMO)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 04 Dec 2014, 06:23

Since we're not worrying about how specific it sounds to a certain culture, I think this would be a really great opportunity to create music that's a mix of different styles. I'm imagining something like a fusion between celtic music and jazz-rock. For example, we could repeat one of the bagpipe or fiddle melodies, but on the second time it could play on an electric guitar instead. It would be a really unpredictable music choice but I honestly think it could work if it was done right. It would also help in making coherency in the game's music. What do you think about this idea?
0zone0ne

Postby XGhost » 04 Dec 2014, 16:55

Krobonil, I like this music very much ;) .
If you could make the background strings a little bit broader (theres like a gap between the notes).
Also I'd prefer a snare drum instead of the current one.

Keep up the good work!
XGhost

Postby tuxkartdriver » 04 Dec 2014, 18:03

-
Last edited by tuxkartdriver on 08 Jan 2016, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
tuxkartdriver

Postby Totoplus62 » 04 Dec 2014, 22:32

This is nice :) , i hope this music will be longer than the one you created for lighthouse track
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Image SuperTuxKart Popularity
Totoplus62

Postby 0zone0ne » 05 Dec 2014, 02:11

Thanks for the midi file.
It's a work in progress, but this is what I've done so far (I'm very happy with this! :D):
Attachments
celtic_test.ogg
(405.63 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
0zone0ne

Postby Akien » 05 Dec 2014, 09:12

Wow, looking forward to playing STK with this track :-D
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Auria » 06 Dec 2014, 01:07

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:Thanks for the midi file.
It's a work in progress, but this is what I've done so far (I'm very happy with this! :D):

Wow this is pretty amazing! Krobonil and OzoneOne, it works pretty well when you collaborate on songs, nice work :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 06 Dec 2014, 04:03

Here's a new version. I spent way too long programming the guitar at 00:45 - 00:54. I hope it doesn't sound too... aggressive. Now would be a good time to point out anything that doesn't quite work or should be changed.

celtic_test2.ogg
(1005.29 KiB) Downloaded 299 times

@Krobonil
I think the web folder is a great idea, it would also be a good place to put lossless masters and individual instrument tracks.

I quite like the accidental in the fiddle at 00.21. :( I think it's one of those things that seem strange at first but you get used to it after a while. If you really don't like it I will change it though.
0zone0ne

Postby Auria » 07 Dec 2014, 02:00

It sounds very good to me, nice work
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby GunChleoc » 07 Dec 2014, 23:42

I like where this is going :)

Classical Gaelic music has been put on rock and jazz instruments before, and it definitely works.

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:
GunChleoc {l Wrote}:I like the tune, but it sounds Irish, not Scottish. Their music is similar, but not the same, and locals will notice the difference.

Good to know. I said that is sounds very Scottish (Sorry for my ignorance but, at least, I'm not as wrong as people who confuse salsa, a Caribbean musical style and samba, one of the many musical styles from Rio).

I think that is a very common mistake to make when you're from a different part of the world, or haven't studied the type of music ;)
GunChleoc

Postby 0zone0ne » 08 Dec 2014, 01:09

I'm now ready to publish the final version, so if anybody wants to point out something that should be changed now is a good time.
...Or perhaps I should wait until we know more about the future of the track? Are there any ideas about what it will end up being called?
0zone0ne

Postby GunChleoc » 08 Dec 2014, 09:21

I would like to try my hand at making a pipe score for you. Pipes can't have breaks, and the volume is always flat. So they use complex gracenotes for emphasis. Also, the drones are missing. Pipe drones give a steady tone - with the Great Highland Pipe, they are tuned on the octaves, one hight, one low. On the smallpipes, you have 3 notes, and the middle one is usiially tuned to the 4th or 5th. On Irish Uillean Pipes, I dont know what the tuning is, but they can change the notes while they play - I don't know what the possible notes are here.
GunChleoc

Postby GunChleoc » 08 Dec 2014, 11:48

Here it is. The file contains:
  • Muscescore score
  • MIDI file
  • PDF printout of the score
  • Awful rendition by beginner on a practice chanter. Best stop your ears, but it might help you with understanding the gracenotes.

Note that the drones are often started before the melody begins on the chanter.

I also changed the key to fit standard bagpipe notation, you might need to transpose the tune back to your pitch.
Attachments
STK_bagpipe.zip
(377.91 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
GunChleoc

Postby 0zone0ne » 08 Dec 2014, 22:33

Ok, I changed the bagpipes to not have rests between the notes, and I made the drone notes louder so they are actually audible (They were in already, but I forgot to turn the volume up in the latest version so they were hard to hear). Thanks for the help, it is appreciated. :)

For mixing purposes, I have the chanter panned to the left and the drones panned to the right. Do you think this is ok, or should they both be panned to the same ear?
0zone0ne

Postby GunChleoc » 09 Dec 2014, 02:35

I would pan them close together - from the audience's point of view, they wouldn't come from different places.

I think you really should try to do some gracenotes - the electric guitar sounds very authentic, and it would be great if we could get closer to a real instrument feel for the pipes as well. And maybe some trebles for the fiddle?

When I play the midi file generated from my score, I hardly hear the gracenotes - they are probably too fast for the midi instrument and need to be kicked apart a bit.
GunChleoc

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Dec 2014, 04:41

Escuse me: I know this project is not mine (this is a song composed by Krobonil with a partnsership of himself and OzoneOne), but I'm tryting to give a little help.

Well, I tried to simulate a typical bagpipe using Tuxguitar and I'm convinced that it's not impossible to get the effect using MIDI instruments. Listen:

I created a track for the leading voice and a second track to insert the grace notes and that effect I called "residual sound". There's a print screen to show how I did the second track.

Is this what you had in mind?
Attachments
BagPipe TUXGUITAR.jpg
TuxGuitar
BagPipe with TuxGuitar.ogg
(187.2 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
GeekPenguinBR

Postby GunChleoc » 09 Dec 2014, 14:04

Yes, something like this - but with the gracenotes I provided. I fiddled around with them quite a lot so that I would find patterns that a piper would actually use.
GunChleoc

Postby GunChleoc » 09 Dec 2014, 15:27

Seems like MuseScore ignores the gracenotes when exporting MIDI, so I have added them again with Aria Maestosa.
Attachments
STK_bagpipe_gracenotes.zip
Bagpipe with gracenotes.
(591 Bytes) Downloaded 259 times
GunChleoc

Postby 0zone0ne » 09 Dec 2014, 21:20

GunChleoc {l Wrote}:Seems like MuseScore ignores the gracenotes when exporting MIDI, so I have added them again with Aria Maestosa.

Ah! Ok, now I know what you mean! :lol: Yes, I will surely add these.
Last edited by 0zone0ne on 09 Dec 2014, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
0zone0ne

Postby GunChleoc » 09 Dec 2014, 22:42

I have a set of smallpipes. I haven't played in a while because of RSI though, so I didn't get very far in learning :(

ETA: I found another interesting fiddle tutorial - Grace Notes.
GunChleoc