Contributing music

Re: Contributing music

Postby 0zone0ne » 09 Dec 2014, 00:56

I can't really put my finger on it... The new one sounds a bit too cartoony, maybe. A bit too bouncy. Maybe if you take off the emphasis of every quaver note and only emphasise crotchet notes, it might sound different? I'm not too sure at the moment, sorry. :(
0zone0ne

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Dec 2014, 20:59

The updated and (maybe) finished file with sound effects included:
Attachments
Mysterious House .ogg
(661.48 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 09 Dec 2014, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby 0zone0ne » 09 Dec 2014, 22:59

You went a little overboard with the loudness here...
That distortion you hear at 00:02 (mainly in the right ear) is what happens when you amplify the audio so much that some of it gets cut off.

You can see this by looking at the waveforms (through Audacity):
mysterious_house.jpg

In comparison, this audio does not have cutoff distortion:
gran_paradiso_island.jpg

There are two ways to fix this. One is to not make the music quite as loud (but don't make it too quiet either). The other is to apply dynamic compression. All this does is makes the louder parts of the audio quieter (it can also be used to make quiet parts louder), effectively evening out the waveforms. If you use Audacity, this is very easy to do. There's a manual for it here: http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/compressor.html

I hope this helps!
0zone0ne

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 09 Dec 2014, 23:36

Thank you. This can help a lot.

I'm not a very frequent user of Audacity. I use it only when I finisih my projects to show for someone.
By the way: what's your opinion about the new updated song with the effects?
GeekPenguinBR

Postby samuncle » 10 Dec 2014, 04:13

I would rather suggest effects like ambient, doors opening etc should be done with sound effect in the track so they correspond to something.

For instance in the track cocoa temple when you drive close to a waterfall you ear the sound of a waterfall
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 10 Dec 2014, 04:31

I would have put ambient noises, rather than noises that relate to a specific action. For example, you wouldn't hear a door opening while on the outside section of the track. Sounds that would fit would be crickets chirping, since the mansion would be small enough for you to hear crickets outside, and/or a cold dry wind.
0zone0ne

Postby samuncle » 10 Dec 2014, 06:43

yep I kinda agree. But I tend to prefer to use the ambient noise system of stk. So for instance crickets are only present outside or near certain stuff. I think it gives more depth and realism to the track.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 10 Dec 2014, 20:00

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:I would have put ambient noises, rather than noises that relate to a specific action. For example, you wouldn't hear a door opening while on the outside section of the track. Sounds that would fit would be crickets chirping, since the mansion would be small enough for you to hear crickets outside, and/or a cold dry wind.

Hi!

I agree with both (Samuncle and OzoneOne) that the effects of door and steps don't fit the event, since the track starts outside the house, but that was not the intention. My goal was to write a simply song able to create the "emotional climate" proper for a misterious environment like a "creepy" house and it outside. There's a lot of example of iconic movie scenes with song tracks that have nothing to do with the events shown on the respective scenes, but have to do with the idea behind the history of the movie.

First, I asked to Auria if you have already the final version of the new track; so, I could try to fit the melody, effects and everything according to the dynamic of the events andt she told me that the track is not completed yet, but the attempt would get wrong, for sure. If this was the goal, my song wouldn't serve anyway, because the melody starts with an organ (organs stay inside the houses) and the track starts outside.

In other words, I had not the purpose to fit the song with events in real time, what is virtually impossible since every player experience the same events in different times (and not due to the Einstein's relativity, but due to their own skills, PC perfromance, etc.) of course.

I prefer the effects of the game linked to places and objects instead effects in the song, but IMHO, since it is necessary. My project "Port" needs this, because most time the karts drive on the dockyard, near warehouses, etc.. but they passes at long the wharf; so, I need effects like seashore, cranes moving, etc. but other sounds like seagulls, ships' horns, etc. can be heard anywhere the port. So, I can put them in the song.

In this case (Mansion's track) I don't see the necessity of night effects rigorously linked to specific events. I see a misterious environment and I would like to hear a compatible song. So, I see no problem if the effects are in the song (even if it's better to have them as ambient noise),since most time you drive outside the house. But, this is my point of view.

So, as sugested by OzoneOne, I changed the house effects by night sounds, This is just an experience and I hope you like
the idea. I liked!
Attachments
Mistery House 03.ogg
(653.71 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 11 Dec 2014, 01:33, edited 2 times in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby Arthur » 10 Dec 2014, 20:42

Another reason to have sound effects not embedded inside the song is if we later want to replace it with something even better - then all environmental ambience will be removed as well.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 10 Dec 2014, 21:33

Arthur {l Wrote}:Another reason to have sound effects not embedded inside the song is if we later want to replace it with something even better - then all environmental ambience will be removed as well.

Yes. That's right. Here's a more "Bach's" (only music and no sound effect) version of the song:
Attachments
Mistery House 4.ogg
(742.83 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
GeekPenguinBR

Postby 0zone0ne » 18 Jan 2015, 00:23

Here is my new music entry for XR591:
alien.ogg
(972.15 KiB) Downloaded 305 times

alien_fast.ogg
Final Lap version (+10 BPM, alternate loop)
(901.65 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

Lossless files:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/32mzby6skrrc ... NvmNa?dl=0
(WAV, 24-bit, 44100 Hz)

MP3 version (download is 320kbps):
https://soundcloud.com/0zone0ne/supertuxkart-xr591

"alien" is not the title of the song, just the filename. Feel free to give it the name you want.
0zone0ne

Postby Auria » 21 Jan 2015, 00:16

Sounds pretty good, 0zone0ne :) Is it complete, or did you plan to extend it some more?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 21 Jan 2015, 03:04

I'm glad you like it. :) Yes it is complete for the current version of the track. I don't know what's in the future for XR591, but I can always make changes to the music for future releases if needed.
0zone0ne

New XR591 Music

Postby eltomito » 21 Jan 2015, 15:34

Hi! I like some parts of the new XR591 track - the ones with the strange happy-sad tension - but overall, I like the old XR591 tune from 0.8 better. It gives me more driving hype. Just me 2 cents.
eltomito

Postby samuncle » 28 Jan 2015, 00:55

The alien music is very cool :). I love it. It might be used in one of the trailer (I would like to do it when the track XR will be converted to next gen).

However it feels a bit short. Maybe you can make it a bit longer.

Thanks for your work
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby vlj » 28 Jan 2015, 16:52

At 00:40 it reminds me the Wipeout 2097 music "Body in Motion" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BWhUqV ... D4CDFB9E7E) at 00:47
vlj

Postby woolookologie » 12 Apr 2015, 22:46

Hey all,
I am very interested to make music for STK in the future! :)
Greetings, Woolookologie
woolookologie