GUI Brainstorming

Re: GUI Brainstorming

Postby qubodup » 18 Jul 2011, 16:30

This gauge is gorgeous! I made a little (not perfect) remix to have a double bar: http://opengameart.org/content/gauge-bar-double
Also I love the orange gui bar at the bottom

- It would be great to have a complete GUI in that look ("Peach" comes closest to this right now).
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby hikari.to.yami » 18 Jul 2011, 17:50

Awesome! I like the way it looks, looks simpler and intuitive, and it's very good looking too. But I think the Quit button should be pushed to the right bottom corner. I mean, I think it should be near the edge. Since STK won't ask you "are sure you wanna quit?" everytime you click it you don't wanna accidentally click it right?
hikari.to.yami

Postby hiker » 19 Jul 2011, 01:15

hikari.to.yami {l Wrote}:Awesome! I like the way it looks, looks simpler and intuitive, and it's very good looking too. But I think the Quit button should be pushed to the right bottom corner. I mean, I think it should be near the edge. Since STK won't ask you "are sure you wanna quit?" everytime you click it you don't wanna accidentally click it right?

Hmm - not entirely sure. This way the 'message' bar (which is already a bit overloaded with the language selection, which is missing in this picture) becomes even more 'misused', and less space for the news message.

The dual bar might be interesting, with 0.8 we might have more to display (skidding might give you a boost, which could be displayed there). On the other hand, I prefer to have more 'in game' clues for things like that instead of adding this to the HUD to make it more complicated.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Arthur » 19 Jul 2011, 01:22

Well language selection would fit well into the 'User Interface' tab in the options, so it could be moved there. But I agree, four buttons down there would be too much. The 'Quit' button could stay there, if it was moved a little more to the right as hikari.to.yami said.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby hikari.to.yami » 19 Jul 2011, 05:40

hiker {l Wrote}:
hikari.to.yami {l Wrote}:Awesome! I like the way it looks, looks simpler and intuitive, and it's very good looking too. But I think the Quit button should be pushed to the right bottom corner. I mean, I think it should be near the edge. Since STK won't ask you "are sure you wanna quit?" everytime you click it you don't wanna accidentally click it right?

Hmm - not entirely sure. This way the 'message' bar (which is already a bit overloaded with the language selection, which is missing in this picture) becomes even more 'misused', and less space for the news message.

:shock: I forgot about the language selection.
News message? How about additional smaller bar below that bar?

hiker {l Wrote}:The dual bar might be interesting, with 0.8 we might have more to display (skidding might give you a boost, which could be displayed there). On the other hand, I prefer to have more 'in game' clues for things like that instead of adding this to the HUD to make it more complicated.

Cheers,
Joerg

Skidding? Did you mean we get another boost from skidding? Hmm... that reminds me of drift runners 2

Arthur {l Wrote}:Well language selection would fit well into the 'User Interface' tab in the options, so it could be moved there. But I agree, four buttons down there would be too much. The 'Quit' button could stay there, if it was moved a little more to the right as hikari.to.yami said.

Ya, I agree about language selection part to go to he options menu. Hmm... come to think of it you guys are right, it is kinda crowded there. IMHO, I think the setting button must get out of the bar.
hikari.to.yami

Postby Yannick Richol » 10 Aug 2014, 13:17

hello, is it possible to make a list of icons like Mario Kart, here's a little montage:
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=547DAC1B
If so, give me tutorials, examples or advice thank you
Yannick Richol

Postby Yannick Richol » 10 Aug 2014, 14:36

hello, is it possible to make a list of icons like Mario Kart, here's a little montage:
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... e=547DAC1B
If so, give me tutorials, examples or advice thank you :)
Attachments
STK22.png
12.png
Yannick Richol

Postby Auria » 14 Aug 2014, 00:09

Yannick, I don't really understand your mockups. You seem to be using a very old version of STK, most of your suggestions are already this way in STK
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Yannick Richol » 14 Aug 2014, 01:07

Well I know I'm not very good at explaining but the version I use is 8.1. I just wanted to know how you did to change the gui or interface of the game.
Yannick Richol

Postby Yannick Richol » 14 Aug 2014, 01:16

For example, you see in mario kart 64, there is the list icon to the left.
There are 4 boxes for each character in the race while there has 8 kart total
Attachments
Mario-Kart-64.jpg
Yannick Richol

Postby Yannick Richol » 14 Aug 2014, 01:18

I wanted exactly the same thing with SuperTuxKart.
Do you have any advice for me please? :)
Yannick Richol

Postby Auria » 14 Aug 2014, 01:45

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you want, STK is not exactly identical but it's pretty similar
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 14 Aug 2014, 04:25

Do you want the square images back? To be honest, we don't have any intentions of going back there, so you would need to program that yourself.

Or if you mean limiting the number of icons shown on the left - we do this already.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Yannick Richol » 14 Aug 2014, 13:09

Ok, but one last thing, Dakal, how you do that?
Attachments
course_exemple.png
course_exemple.png (280.15 KiB) Viewed 8758 times
Yannick Richol

Postby Dakal » 14 Aug 2014, 13:17

I'm sorry Yannick it's just a mockup. A fake picture to expose an idea.
Actually you can't have this GUI in the official repository.
Dakal

Postby Yannick Richol » 14 Aug 2014, 13:29

Ok, I almost believe this picture but it does not matter. ;)
Yannick Richol

Postby samuncle » 14 Aug 2014, 19:44

Well to be honest I would love to see this design implemented in the game (a bit modified).

Because the current design to display kart's performance isn't thaaaaaat cool. It's a bit fuzzy.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 14 Aug 2014, 22:58

samuncle {l Wrote}:Well to be honest I would love to see this design implemented in the game (a bit modified).

Because the current design to display kart's performance isn't thaaaaaat cool. It's a bit fuzzy.

The main issue of the gui is split screen - whatever design we chose it needs to work with 4 karts being shown ... unless we give each player a separate screen.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker