Hackers007's first kart

Hackers007's first kart

Postby Hacker007 » 21 Aug 2014, 18:01

Images of my first Kart, Minix Tux. (for SamUncle and others)

Sorry for the zip. This is just the beginning, i am going to fix the shadow, add animations, add a better licence plate, change steering wheel, add exhaust, join tux's eyes and merge uv and textures etc.

One thing i don't understand is why i had to add a "Solidify" modifier to fix a problem were the closer faces of my kart were transparent (invisible) in stk ?

Also note i am new to 3D modeling, animation and texturing, this kart is the 3rd thing i have ever created in Blender
Attachments
minix tux kart.zip
(8.57 MiB) Downloaded 231 times
I know nothing, I see nothing, I do nothing
Hacker007

Re: Hackers007's first kart

Postby Anon » 21 Aug 2014, 18:11

I haven't looked at the kart yet, but I think I know why you had to add a solidify modifier to fix invisible faces.

Every face has a forwards and backwards direction. It's called the face's "normal". In order save on computing power, game engines will generally only render a face if it's facing the camera. So if the faces in your kart were oriented the wrong way, they wouldn't be rendered.

To check if this is the case, you can use the "Show Normals" option in edit mode. It's found on the properties panel, which you can open by pressing "N".

To fix it (in Blender 2.71), you can select the faces with incorrect normals, go to the shading tab in the left panel, and click "Flip Direction". You can also try "Recalculate" (ctrl-N), which will make Blender try to fix the normals for the current selection.

EDIT: I just looked at the pictures, and I think that the kart's really not bad at all. Textures are decent, the shape is original, and the poly-count doesn't seem that high. It's definitely a much better first model that what I started with.

The one issue that I did notice, however, is that the stripe on the side seems to have been handpainted. I'd recommend redoing it in a vector graphics program, or at least using a straight line tool in a raster editor.

Altogether though, I think this is a pretty solid kart and a great first model. :)
Anon

Re: Hackers007's first kart

Postby Hacker007 » 22 Aug 2014, 02:59

Thank you Anon :) your information is very helpful, it would have taken me a million years to figure that out on myself. I will take your advice and get inkscape to edit the texture :D
I know nothing, I see nothing, I do nothing
Hacker007