Easy way to start creating a track

Easy way to start creating a track

Postby zequinha » 01 Aug 2014, 22:55

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how to create tracks on SuperTuxKart. I've come across several tutorials and realized that, eventually, the best way to start is to create a simple boring 2D plane on blender, and then export it as a .b3d file so that I can use it on STK. How do I import the .b3d file into the game so I can actually drive over this boring plane? Thanks

Cheers
Zeca
zequinha

Re: Easy way to start creating a track

Postby Auria » 01 Aug 2014, 23:46

Hi,

have you taken a look at
http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Ins ... he_tools_2
http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Tra ... %27s_Guide

The final step is to export in the /data/tracks/<trackname> folder in the game's data files, as described on http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Tra ... #Exporting
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby zequinha » 02 Aug 2014, 14:51

Thank you Auria,

where can I download a blender file of a simple track to start tweaking?

Best
zequinha

Postby Anon » 02 Aug 2014, 15:49

Try the Media Repository.

If you don't have svn, you can browse it online and download it with "Download Snapshot". Be warned, however, that this will probably take a while
Anon

Postby Arthur » 03 Aug 2014, 20:02

It's probably best to just download each track folder individually, so you don't have to wait for it to download all.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby samuncle » 04 Aug 2014, 04:30

Hello

Also it's a very good start to look inside a real track and see how it's done. You can try to move objects and then add your own objects so it will eventually become your own track :).
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby zequinha » 06 Aug 2014, 08:41

Thanks guys for all the replies, I have tried to download a few tracks from sourceforge (i dont even know what svn is) but I could not find them! Where are they? Could anyone post the link? Thanks
zequinha

Postby Arthur » 06 Aug 2014, 15:30

Try this link, select the track folder you want and then in the black bar you can "Download snapshot". For example, green-valley. Don't become discouraged by the amount of stuff in the tracks - when you are starting, you should keep it simple and figure how the basic things needed are done. Also, feel free to ask questions - there are no stupid ones, although for general modelling there are good learning resources out there. Everything related to the game you can find in our wiki or by asking us. :)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby cand » 07 Aug 2014, 08:13

The track editor beta is expected in a week or two.
cand

Postby Auria » 10 Aug 2014, 01:43

To clarify, we will have 2 ways of making tracks :

[*] In blender, that will be used for highest-quality tracks. This is what has been described so far
[*] A second, less powerful but much simpler to use editor has been in developement, to allow anyone to make tracks. It's this one cand was referring to

I will let you decide which editor is most appropriate for you!
Auria
STK Moderator