Nostalgia

Nostalgia

Postby Ludsky » 09 Jul 2014, 20:05

I like this track addon >> "Nostalgia" : A mash-up of 13 tracks from early versions of the game.

Possible to have (old) 13 tracks separate in addons ? (they are not all in addons)
Ludsky

Re: Nostalgia

Postby samuncle » 09 Jul 2014, 22:31

Hello :)

The addons nostalgia is very cool :) however I don't fully understand your question.

If you are asking if it's possible to have all old tracks in addons yes it's possible if someone port them. Here at core team we are focused on the future and making new awesome tracks. I won't port old tracks but you are welcome to do it.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby Ludsky » 10 Jul 2014, 09:16

samuncle {l Wrote}:Hello :)

The addons nostalgia is very cool :) however I don't fully understand your question.

If you are asking if it's possible to have all old tracks in addons yes it's possible if someone port them. Here at core team we are focused on the future and making new awesome tracks. I won't port old tracks but you are welcome to do it.

"If you are asking if it's possible to have all old tracks in addons yes it's possible" >> Yes !

I would like try to transfer but i don't know how make ? and i don't find old track ?

PS : It will be great to make a mash up with a new tracks ^^
Ludsky

Postby samuncle » 13 Jul 2014, 03:21

Hello

I would like try to transfer but i don't know how make ? and i don't find old track ?

The first step is to find the old tracks blend. I have no idea were they are. Maybe in the old SVN revision. That would be a first step.
The second step is to convert the blend to the new track format. That shouldn't be too complex. It takes time but it's a straight forward task.

However
If you want to help us I suggest to start with a current track and start to modify the track. Add/remove stuff, play with it, try to make your own version. You will learn a lot doing this. I also suggest to not spend time on old tracks. Yes they were great but now we have to move forward. They are outdated.

Take the blend of a recent track like stk enterprise or lighthouse
Add your own objects. Try to modify stuff, learn how to use blender how to make texture.
Make your own version of lighthouse. I made exactly the same step 4 years ago with Hacienda. I started with farm and I add objects etc. At one point farm wasn't farm anymore but hacienda.

Probably not (or maybe we should have data streaming and that would require a lot of work on coding side). The problem with new tracks is the polycount and the amount of different objects and texture. They are a lot more complex and if you put them together you will probably end up with an unplayable track that is lagging.

This will be a problem with the next gen overworld.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby Ludsky » 13 Jul 2014, 09:36

samuncle {l Wrote}:Hello

The first step is to find the old tracks blend. I have no idea were they are. Maybe in the old SVN revision. That would be a first step.
The second step is to convert the blend to the new track format. That shouldn't be too complex. It takes time but it's a straight forward task.

However
If you want to help us I suggest to start with a current track and start to modify the track. Add/remove stuff, play with it, try to make your own version. You will learn a lot doing this. I also suggest to not spend time on old tracks. Yes they were great but now we have to move forward. They are outdated.

Take the blend of a recent track like stk enterprise or lighthouse
Add your own objects. Try to modify stuff, learn how to use blender how to make texture.
Make your own version of lighthouse. I made exactly the same step 4 years ago with Hacienda. I started with farm and I add objects etc. At one point farm wasn't farm anymore but hacienda.

Probably not (or maybe we should have data streaming and that would require a lot of work on coding side). The problem with new tracks is the polycount and the amount of different objects and texture. They are a lot more complex and if you put them together you will probably end up with an unplayable track that is lagging.

This will be a problem with the next gen overworld.

Ok, have you got a tutoriel (is in french is possible) ? (How Import track ..... ?)

PS : I wait also STK Trck Editor ^^
Ludsky

Postby Ludsky » 17 Jul 2014, 12:25

Possible to help me ?
Ludsky

Postby Anon » 19 Jul 2014, 01:53

Hi, I'm the maker of the Nostalgia track.

To start, try checking out the links in the Artwork Section of the Get Involved page. Particularly useful is the Track Maker's Guide, which contains links that go over all the steps setting up and making a track, as well as documentation for the track making tool. One of these links tells you how to install all the tools you'll need to edit a track. The newest version of the tools seems to be incompatible with the current stable release of supertuxkart, so make sure you download the zip containing all required files, instead of getting the files from the media repository.

Once you have everything installed, you have to find a way to get the old versions of the tracks. Some of them are in old revisions of the media repository (change the number in the url to change the revision you're viewing (around 4000 seems to have the most of the old tracks)), but a lot aren't. For these tracks, I downloaded an old version of the game itself and imported the various files required to piece together the tracks models. The models are stored as .ac files though, so you'll have to find a way to open these with Blender. I have an addon of unknown origin that will do this.

When you've got the track models into Blender, you'll have to fix the textures. All the textures in the old version of Supertuxkart were stored as .rgb images and should be converted before they're used. The mogrify command in ImageMagick should be able to convert an entire folder of files at once (mogrify --format png *.rgb). Also, a lot of the textures in the Blend files reference locations from the original developers' computer, which you won't have. Replacing each image with its corresponding converted png will fix this.

The last main step is to add nitro and items. The locations of these are stored in .loc files, found in the data directory of the Supertuxkart game. I have a script that will automate part of the process of reading the locations and adding items.

Of course, there's also a lot of smaller things that you should be aware of. For example, some tracks have a unique sun/ambient light colour, and some materials will slow down the kart when driven on.

If you have any questions about any part of the process, feel free to ask me.
Anon

Postby Ludsky » 19 Jul 2014, 12:28

Anon {l Wrote}:Hi, I'm the maker of the Nostalgia track.

To start, try checking out the links in the Artwork Section of the Get Involved page. Particularly useful is the Track Maker's Guide, which contains links that go over all the steps setting up and making a track, as well as documentation for the track making tool. One of these links tells you how to install all the tools you'll need to edit a track. The newest version of the tools seems to be incompatible with the current stable release of supertuxkart, so make sure you download the zip containing all required files, instead of getting the files from the media repository.

Once you have everything installed, you have to find a way to get the old versions of the tracks. Some of them are in old revisions of the media repository (change the number in the url to change the revision you're viewing (around 4000 seems to have the most of the old tracks)), but a lot aren't. For these tracks, I downloaded an old version of the game itself and imported the various files required to piece together the tracks models. The models are stored as .ac files though, so you'll have to find a way to open these with Blender. I have an addon of unknown origin that will do this.

When you've got the track models into Blender, you'll have to fix the textures. All the textures in the old version of Supertuxkart were stored as .rgb images and should be converted before they're used. The mogrify command in ImageMagick should be able to convert an entire folder of files at once (mogrify --format png *.rgb). Also, a lot of the textures in the Blend files reference locations from the original developers' computer, which you won't have. Replacing each image with its corresponding converted png will fix this.

The last main step is to add nitro and items. The locations of these are stored in .loc files, found in the data directory of the Supertuxkart game. I have a script that will automate part of the process of reading the locations and adding items.

Of course, there's also a lot of smaller things that you should be aware of. For example, some tracks have a unique sun/ambient light colour, and some materials will slow down the kart when driven on.

If you have any questions about any part of the process, feel free to ask me.

Thanks You :)
Ludsky

Postby Ludsky » 21 Jul 2014, 09:16

I wait the next version of STK for begin.
Ludsky