My First Track (3D Work in progress)

My First Track (3D Work in progress)

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 26 Mar 2014, 20:38

:cool: Hi, everyone!
I'm new at STK forum but, I have already a project of my own track. It's port track with a lot of pieces. The racing lines between containers are not defined yet but, I have the basic plan. This track is intended for intermediate or advanced racer but not too much hard to drive.
I have attached some images for you, so, I hope you like my idea.
Suggestions are welcome. :)
Attachments
Port 07.jpg
Obs. The trucks are not karts, but obstacles.
Port 06.jpg
Port 04.jpg
Port 02.jpg
Port 01.jpg
"Making cool harmless games makes the world a better place".
GeekPenguinBR

Re: My First Track (3D Work in progress)

Postby Arthur » 27 Mar 2014, 00:31

Hi and welcome. :)
Nice start you've got there. What program are you modelling in?
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 27 Mar 2014, 01:02

Hi, Arthur!
I'm using softwares according to my skills. I'm not an expert using Blender so, I'm using Maya LT, etc.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby samuncle » 29 Mar 2014, 01:50

Hello :)

It's a nice start however I see many problems.

You started backward. We never start by making building nor the environment.

The first step is making the shape of the road to see if it's fun to play or not. It means making many iterations (Making a small change, exporting the track, try to do some races, tweaking, etc). Of course you need to imagine where the road will go. Is it only in the harbor ? or in a ship ? which kind of ship ? a tanker ? a cruise ship ?

Then you start by blocking with very basic shapes to see where areas will be needed and if volumes are ok. Then and only then you can start making ships, etc.

I strongly recommend to work with references photos to see how things look in real life.

You can include something cool about our universe. Tuxel as the tanker's company :P.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby geekpenguin » 29 Mar 2014, 03:32

Hi, Samuncle!

"The first step is making the shape of the road to see if it's fun to play or not."

As I said ("The racing lines between containers are not defined yet but, I have the basic plan") I have the basic racing lines designed. My only one doubt have to do with the alternative lines between the containers. In other words: all the rest is ok. So, no problem here.

"Then you start by blocking with very basic shapes to see where areas will be needed and if volumes are ok. Then and only then you can start making ships, etc."

Yes. My work Is divided in 7 phases:

1.Basic plan including the racing lines - Done;
2.Research - Done;
3.Basic modeling - Done
;
4.Definitive modelling - In progress;
5.Textures;
6.Final test and adjusts; and,
7.Uploading the track as Add-0n.

So, I'm following the logic sequence, no doubt.

"I strongly recommend to work with references photos to see how things look in real life."
I have too much reference including hundred pictures, drawings, plans (I couldn't draw a port crane in details like I did if I had not references, of course), videos and a good experience in the area, since I served in the Navy working with logistics. So, my first track was not chosen because "it seems nice to build a track on port" but, because I have already knowledge in this area.

"You can include something cool about our universe. Tuxel as the tanker's company"
Yes and the tanker ship is already built and named T U X E L. The other ship is a container ship (cargo ship plenty of containers on the deck) named "N O L O K". Actually, I'm including the references to the STK universe listed in the blog and other references observed/cretade by myself to make the track less "serious" but consistent.
geekpenguin

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 29 Mar 2014, 03:37

Hi, samuncle! (ignore the first response using my other profile accidentally created)

"The first step is making the shape of the road to see if it's fun to play or not."
As I said ("The racing lines between containers are not defined yet but, I have the basic plan") I have the basic racing lines designed. My only one doubt have to do with the alternative lines between the containers. In other words: all the rest is ok. So, no problem here.

"Then you start by blocking with very basic shapes to see where areas will be needed and if volumes are ok. Then and only then you can start making ships, etc."

Yes. My work Is divided in 7 phases:

2.Research - Done;
3.Basic modeling - Done;
5.Textures;

So, I'm following the logic sequence, no doubt.

"I strongly recommend to work with references photos to see how things look in real life."
I have too much reference including hundred pictures, drawings, plans (I couldn't draw a port crane in details like I did if I had not references), videos and a good experience in the area, since I served in the Navy working with logistics. So, my first track was not chosen because "it seems nice to build a track on port" but, because I have already knowledge in this area.

"You can include something cool about our universe. Tuxel as the tanker's company"
Yes and the tanker ship is already built and named T U X E L. The other ship is a container ship (cargo ship plenty of containers on the deck) named "N O L O K".

"You can include something cool about our universe. Tuxel as the tanker's company :P."
Actually, I'm including the references to the STK universe listed in the blog and other references included by myself after years of observation playing STK, of course.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby samuncle » 29 Mar 2014, 04:02

Ok but have you tested ingame ? I said that because I was surprised since I made myself such mistakes.

2.Research - Done;
3.Basic modeling - Done;
5.Textures;

It sounds good. If you want some advices http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Style_Guidelines_2
I have too much reference including hundred pictures, drawings, plans (I couldn't draw a port crane in details like I did if I had not references), videos and a good experience in the area, since I served in the Navy working with logistics. So, my first track was not chosen because "it seems nice to build a track on port" but, because I have already knowledge in this area.

It's a very very good thing. ALWAYS use photo references :). I'm happy to know that
Yes and the tanker ship is already built and named T U X E L. The other ship is a container ship (cargo ship plenty of containers on the deck) named "N O L O K".

Cool :). I'm glad to read that. If we want to be accurate TUXEL is the name of the company. The ship has probably another name like TUXEL | MALVADIRA.
However avoid names like Nolok, gnu or tux. It sounds like a lack of imagination. I removed all references like Tux's inn, Puffy's bar etc on Scotland.
But you can use one of the fictional company name like NOLOK INDUSTRIES on containers or other cool name.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 29 Mar 2014, 04:21

"If we want to be accurate TUXEL is the name of the company."
Actually, the company's name is painted over the black paint in the ship hull (both hsides). That's the name I have mentioned, not the ship name that's is painted in the rear. The name itself will be defined but, probably, some other reference to the STK universe.
GeekPenguinBR