New Track: Road works

New Track: Road works

Postby XGhost » 06 Jan 2014, 16:14

Hi everyone!

I'm working on a new track for STK. You'll drive on a road (far away from every kind of civilisation) through a construction site.
The idea is based on a track from the (old ;) ) game: "4x4 Evolution 2". Unfortunately I forget the name of the track, but here is an image:

At this time, the track is only in the planning stage (which takes a long time for me :cool: ). Here are some pictures how I imagine this track.
ImageImage
ImageImage

And now, Ladys and Gentlemens, some very bad drawings :D :
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Also, I would like to follow the Style Guidelines 2.*

Ideas and feedback are welcome!

Have a nice day
Ghost

* Is there a need, that the track is taking place in one of this Locations?
XGhost

Re: New Track: Road works

Postby Totoplus62 » 06 Jan 2014, 17:05

This project sounds interesting :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Image SuperTuxKart Popularity
Totoplus62

Postby Arthur » 06 Jan 2014, 17:20

I remember 4x4 Evo. Tried it briefly but I think that was the first version of the game. Might want to add some more polish to that turd of yours. :p

More seriously, this sounds like a good idea. If you haven't created tracks before the number one thing to remember is to make the road itself fun to drive. Everything else is second tier to that. So you need to avoid making it too narrow, too long or too steep and test as soon as you have the basic shape of the track ready. If you read the style guidelines (you're pretty much the only one referring to that ever, kudos) you already know this but it bears repeating.

Looking forward to see what you can do. :)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby samuncle » 08 Jan 2014, 10:36

Hello XGhost :)

You made several concept art and it looks promessing. I like the yellow barrier with the flickering light. It will be very cool ingame. A bit like the stop sign in the Old mine.

For following guidelines 2 it's a good idea :) You probably know now that you need tons of documentation (photos, pictures, etc). But you should be aware of some problems with guidelines 2. They are designed for the new rendering pipeline (> 0.8.1). This pipeline allow several cool things like 100% dynamic lighting etc. However it's still WIP and there is several things that might change. If you want to join us in our quest you're welcome but it might requires to remake several time your track (I have already made maybe 10 versions of harvest :P).

I suggest to take only advice from guidelines 2 and avoid for the moment the new pipeline. It's too instable for the moment. Also these guidelines are also WIP. So you if you found some issues or misunderstanding please write us.

You can try to make your own textures. I have also a texture pack stater kit if you have don't have a tablet to hand paint them.

I should write a tutorial about how to make an object for the next gen pipeline. Maybe a video tutorial.

[edit]
About fictional location: These locations are created for core tracks (tracks that will be included by default in the game). So as addons maker you are of course free to choose what you want. But be aware that we will refuse tracks that don't fit into our graphical style and universe to be included in the core package.

Currently sadly we don't have logos for these companies :(. But the idea is to give things to inspire people that want to create a track. For instance your track seems to be in a forest with trees, etc. If you read the location list there is currently 3 locations that might fit in this description.
The Jerico Natural Park
A small mountain village in Switzerland: Berglidorf
A small village in tundra in Russia: Tushka

So you choose one of this location for instance the Jerico Natural Park. It's located in United States of America. So you can look for reference about the welcome sign of a natural park in USA.You can include this sign in the track. Or a reference to this park (Jerico Natural Park entrance in 50km).
Look how a real sign in USA looks and adapt it to our universe.

During road works there is probably signs like road closed, detour signs, etc. Also it's very easy to you since you just have to see how they look in USA. Probably these heavy machines need fuel. So there is probably a tank truck. We have a fuel company called tuxel so this truck should have the name Tuxel printed on the tank with maybe a slogan. Also the guidelines says that the universe should be caricatural. So you should choose a truck that is a classical cliché about American truck.

That's designed to help you not to add more constraints. Of course I assumed that you have choose to put your track in the Jerico Natural Park. But if you choose to put it in Switzerland well you do the same process but with Switzerland related stuff.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby XGhost » 08 Jan 2014, 20:11

samuncle {l Wrote}:For following guidelines 2 it's a good idea :) You probably know now that you need tons of documentation (photos, pictures, etc).

Yep, you definitely don't have to worry about that ;) :D

samuncle {l Wrote}:But you should be aware of some problems with guidelines 2. They are designed for the new rendering pipeline (> 0.8.1). This pipeline allow several cool things like 100% dynamic lighting etc. However it's still WIP and there is several things that might change. If you want to join us in our quest you're welcome but it might requires to remake several time your track (I have already made maybe 10 versions of harvest :P).

I suggest to take only advice from guidelines 2 and avoid for the moment the new pipeline. It's too instable for the moment. Also these guidelines are also WIP. So you if you found some issues or misunderstanding please write us.

I will act on your advice, this is probably the best way for me to start. I'm well aware that I have to remake my track several times, thats the programmers life. I'm very friendly with those kind of "problems": I'm working as electronics technician (do you say "electronics technician" in english?) and next year, I'll probably study game designer. :)

samuncle {l Wrote}:You can try to make your own textures. I have also a texture pack stater kit if you have don't have a tablet to hand paint them.

A question about that: What exactly is hand painted? I usually "paint" my textures in Photoshop with a brush. For this I use a brush packet, which I've found on the internet (with license: CC BY-SA 3.0). But sometimes, I take some pictures with my cam and edit those until it is nice looking. Here is an example, from some textures I made:
Image (Painted with brushes)
Image (Photo edited with Photoshop and probably too realistic)
All Textures above are licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0

I don't have a graphic tablet (yet) and draw usually with my mouse :think: .

samuncle {l Wrote}:[edit]
About fictional location: These locations are created for core tracks (tracks that will be included by default in the game). So as addons maker you are of course free to choose what you want. But be aware that we will refuse tracks that don't fit into our graphical style and universe to be included in the core package.

Currently sadly we don't have logos for these companies :(. But the idea is to give things to inspire people that want to create a track. For instance your track seems to be in a forest with trees, etc. If you read the location list there is currently 3 locations that might fit in this description.
The Jerico Natural Park
A small mountain village in Switzerland: Berglidorf
A small village in tundra in Russia: Tushka

So you choose one of this location for instance the Jerico Natural Park. It's located in United States of America. So you can look for reference about the welcome sign of a natural park in USA.You can include this sign in the track. Or a reference to this park (Jerico Natural Park entrance in 50km).
Look how a real sign in USA looks and adapt it to our universe.

During road works there is probably signs like road closed, detour signs, etc. Also it's very easy to you since you just have to see how they look in USA. Probably these heavy machines need fuel. So there is probably a tank truck. We have a fuel company called tuxel so this truck should have the name Tuxel printed on the tank with maybe a slogan. Also the guidelines says that the universe should be caricatural. So you should choose a truck that is a classical cliché about American truck.

Thank you for that! :D You've got great ideas ;)
So it is ok when I post some own made company-logos as examples in this forum? :cool:

samuncle {l Wrote}:That's designed to help you not to add more constraints. Of course I assumed that you have choose to put your track in the Jerico Natural Park. But if you choose to put it in Switzerland well you do the same process but with Switzerland related stuff.

Jerico Natural Park, you're right! ;) I will see what I can do. :)

Many thanks for your interests, there are coming more updates soon...

Have a good one!
Tschüss zäme und schönä n'Abig allersiits! ;)
XGhost
XGhost

Postby NeonKnightOA » 29 Jan 2014, 23:11

Waiting for a playable version. =)

"Practice good sportsmanship. You were a n00b once, too." - UT3 advice
"The ratio of critics to creators is something like 10,000:1. The ratio of good critics to bad: 1:10,000." - Fast Eddie
"The ones who speak loudest, are usually the least productive" - Skillz, UTFiles admin
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" - Bill Cosby
NeonKnightOA

Postby XGhost » 04 Mar 2015, 21:11

Greetings all together

I started with this project a year ago :think: and unfortunately it had to fade a little bit into the background because of a busy rl. Certainly the project isn't dead at all. My head is full of ideas and I have still some stuff to do but I have now some more freetime to start working on this track again.

Maybe I can post a very rough mockup of the track layout soon. Who knows… :)
Some concept art for the track

I will keep you up to date ;)
Greetings XGhost
XGhost

Postby XGhost » 18 Mar 2015, 22:43

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:Do you have interest in 3D objects for your track? I have already manye objects done for my project Port and other urban tracks that I'm planning. Some can be used in your track.

Thanks for your interest in my project! I'm still busy with the new Tux kart and have a lot to do in my RL. That means I'm still in the concept phase of this track, testing some early mockups and don't contemplate about track objects at this time.
But when there are some objects already done, of course you can send me these, that would reduce some work! :D
However I'm not able to decide if I will include/need them atm ;) , sorry for that.
XGhost

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 18 Mar 2015, 22:53

XGhost {l Wrote}:But when there are some objects already done, of course you can send me these, that would reduce some work! :D However I'm not able to decide if I will include/need them atm ;) , sorry for that.

No problem.
Yes, I will export the objects as obj or blender file and put they here. I'm busy too, of course, because I want to finnish all the work of Las Dunas Arena until march 31, but I will try as soon as possible. First, I need to find an to separe all of them.
GeekPenguinBR