Music to be Added/Replaced?

Re: Music to be Added/Replaced?

Postby Totoplus62 » 04 Dec 2013, 10:16

Auria {l Wrote}:
0zone0ne {l Wrote}:I found some music I must have made a while back (I think I was originally going to ask if it could replace the Subsea music but never got round to asking), and fixed it up a little to perhaps fit with the Lighthouse track. It doesn't sound anything like any of the the examples you posted, in fact it went in a completely different direction, but I think it still fits. :D If you do really want me to go in the sailor music/sea shanty direction, I can try that as well.
Let me know what you think. ;)

This song is very good, but I think it doesn't really fit the mood of lighthouse. However I was thinking, what do you folks think about using this in minigolf? minigolf still uses the old 8-bit chip song from tuxkart

+1
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Image SuperTuxKart Popularity
Totoplus62

Postby Funto » 05 Dec 2013, 00:14

+1
Funto

Postby Auria » 07 Dec 2013, 18:08

Okay, I have applied this song to minigolf, thanks :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 07 Dec 2013, 22:26

Auria {l Wrote}:Okay, I have applied this song to minigolf, thanks :)
I'm really sorry to come in late like this, but if you want a new song for Minigolf, I will happily make a new, similar one. In my opinion, that music just doesn't fit Minigolf. At all. The instrument palette isn't right, and it sounds far too grand(?) rather than just being bouncy and happy. Apologies for not saying this earlier, before it was applied. :oops: I know I may be the only one with this opinion, but I want to see if I can make something that everybody agrees fits before we put it in the game.
Last edited by 0zone0ne on 08 Dec 2013, 00:25, edited 1 time in total.
0zone0ne

Postby 0zone0ne » 07 Dec 2013, 23:35

While making the music for Minigolf, I found myself (subconsciously) using many tropical-sounding instruments (marimbas, steel drums, etc), so I thought maybe I could kill two birds with one stone and create music to fit both the Minigolf and Island/Beach track.
But first, how do people feel about the current Island music? I personally like it as a piece of music, although don't think it really fits that track very well (it was perfect for Hacienda, in my opinion). What do you think of the idea? (Assuming you're with me on replacing the Minigolf music again... :think:)

Edit: Attached music sample (very rough)
Attachments
beach_test.ogg
(302.41 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
0zone0ne

Postby chronomaster » 08 Dec 2013, 01:22

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:To be honest, I don't really know what I can do make the farm music seem more "western". I mean, it has all of the necessary instruments, and as far as I know there isn't any real specific way of composing to make it sound western (for example, using special scales, chord structure, etc), so what do you think, specifically, is missing?

And gosh, people really seem to want the jungle music replaced. I thought that it was relatively new?

hi
you said you dont know of characteristics for western, so i was trying searching youtube in vei for some western fast paced music, to no vein. most popular music of western is some romatic stuff.
so i made myself one.

maybe if you will mount some samples to it instead of midi it will sound good enough (also its not quite instrumental complete. so...) ,and/or maybe will give you ideas. use it freely.
the midi is designed to repeat itself basically...so put it on repeat the first time you hear it.

if you know music theory a bit, then the charactaristics for western music (i mean...in a steryotypical way) is using the first Degree, then the fourth, then bac to first, then again fourth the fifth...and so on.
also, search youtube for the banjo battle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8
Last edited by chronomaster on 17 Dec 2013, 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
chronomaster

Postby samuncle » 10 Dec 2013, 02:06

Hello

Your music is cool chronomaster :). It can be a good inspiration for Ozone to make a great western music.

For the lighthouse soundtrack, we agree to use an "old" sailor song. Maybe we can use the "drunken sailor" melody (it's in the public domain) and adapt it to stk :).
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby Funto » 10 Dec 2013, 09:07

Having the people of STK record their voices and then mixing them so that a choral would be singing the song? :p
Funto

Postby Totoplus62 » 10 Dec 2013, 10:54

http://youtu.be/qGyPuey-1Jw
Funto {l Wrote}:Having the people of STK record their voices and then mixing them so that a choral would be singing the song? :p

I love this idea but i don't think my english accent is really good :p ^^
Perhaps there are talented singers in the Stk team :) .
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Totoplus62

Postby GunChleoc » 10 Dec 2013, 12:40

I think a mix of accents in the chorus wouldn't be rather fun.

I'm up for it, if you can use a female voice. We would need the instrumental background first though, so we will agree on speed and pitch.
GunChleoc

Postby NeonKnightOA » 10 Dec 2013, 15:52

Your themes for Shifting Sands are okay. Your first theme had one part at ~1:16-~1:29 where the theme could do well without that part IMHO. Also, some less emphasis (or perhaps volume) on the drums and the bass, and some more emphasis on the other instruments could do well into the song. And, perhaps, some extra instruments (percussion, for example) to add to the athmosphere of the theme.

Your theme for the overworld is pretty upbeat. The current Story mode theme isn't that upbeat (especially coming after Gran Batalla), but rather a quiet tune, which considering the plot of the game (GNU was kidnapped and his friend Tux goes to his rescue) fits the overall mood.

I still have to listen to the other themes.

"Practice good sportsmanship. You were a n00b once, too." - UT3 advice
"The ratio of critics to creators is something like 10,000:1. The ratio of good critics to bad: 1:10,000." - Fast Eddie
"The ones who speak loudest, are usually the least productive" - Skillz, UTFiles admin
"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" - Bill Cosby
NeonKnightOA

Postby 0zone0ne » 11 Dec 2013, 05:30

I think I'm trying to do too many things at once now (I mostly blame myself), and I've gotten a bit confused... :x Is it more important that I finish mixing music that I've already composed (eg. Overworld), or should I continue writing/re-writing other music (eg. Harvest/Lighthouse)?
0zone0ne

Postby Arthur » 11 Dec 2013, 06:48

I would say I agree with NeonNight's assesment when it comes to the new overworld music, but I haven't kept up with the other track music so can't comment yet on that. Keep up the good work though - I know I tend to like your work a lot. :)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Funto » 11 Dec 2013, 23:36

I would say that you should focus on finishing something if it's unfinished and is likely to become part of the game in the end: better get one thing done than two unfinished :)
BTW, one of the things I like in your work too is that it's consistent: it would be great if we could have some consistency in the musical style of STK :)
Funto

Postby 0zone0ne » 12 Dec 2013, 08:35

Funto {l Wrote}:BTW, one of the things I like in your work too is that it's consistent: it would be great if we could have some consistency in the musical style of STK :)

That's good to hear. :) That's pretty much my main goal right now while writing this music.

Attached are two newer versions of Overworld, each in a different key: One is in G major, like the other version I posted, while the other is in F major. To me, the one in G sounds cheerful, while the one in F sounds more neutral/serious, closer to what NeonKnightOA suggested. Which one of these do you guys prefer/think fits the Overworld better?
Attachments
overworld2_2_g.ogg
(G major)
(2.12 MiB) Downloaded 285 times
overworld2_2_f.ogg
(F major)
(2.12 MiB) Downloaded 325 times
0zone0ne

Postby Totoplus62 » 12 Dec 2013, 10:37

NeonKnightOA {l Wrote}:Your themes for Shifting Sands are okay. Your first theme had one part at ~1:16-~1:29 where the theme could do well without that part IMHO.

I agree with that.

NeonKnightOA {l Wrote}:Your theme for the overworld is pretty upbeat.

I disagree with that :p , the current one is better imho.
Totoplus62

Postby Auria » 13 Dec 2013, 01:15

0zone0ne, I know there are a lot of opinions out there, so it can be a bit overwhelming. I would simply suggest investing energy on the pyramid song. The overworld song is already pretty good and in my opinion it is not in need of immediate attention :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 14 Dec 2013, 00:33

Ok then. To avoid confusing both myself and everyone else (but mostly myself), from this post onwards I'm only going to focus on one piece of music at a time, until it is in the game, at a state that everyone agrees with.

NeonKnightOA {l Wrote}:Your first theme had one part at ~1:16-~1:29 where the theme could do well without that part IMHO. Also, some less emphasis (or perhaps volume) on the drums and the bass, and some more emphasis on the other instruments could do well into the song. And, perhaps, some extra instruments (percussion, for example) to add to the athmosphere of the theme.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, but I'm afraid that I disagree. Here is my reasoning:

The section at 1:15 is pretty important in that it acts both as a resolution for the previous section, and leads into the next section. It also brakes up the music and stops it from being too similar all the way through. It's basically like a bridge passage. What I can do is swap a few of the instruments around so that it contains more of the instruments from the rest of the piece. It might seem to fit more.

I can understand why the drums may seem too loud/emphasised, but I do that deliberately. Most the the music I make has loud/pronounced drums and it to be honest it's really just part of how I make music. To me, they sound the right volume.

I can't, however, understand why bass seems too loud. What are you listening to the music through? If you're listening to it through average, built-in computer speakers, I can almost guarantee that the music doesn't sound as it is intended.

I will have a go at remastering the music to make it a bit more adaptable to different kinds of speakers.
0zone0ne

Postby hiker » 14 Dec 2013, 09:03

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:Ok then. To avoid confusing both myself and everyone else (but mostly myself), from this post onwards I'm only going to focus on one piece of music at a time, until it is in the game, at a state that everyone agrees with.

*grin* Sorry, that won't work - I mean the latter part of your statement - you will never get everyone to agree or even happy ;) But one of us devs will put your version in when it is good enough in our opinion, so no worries ;)

But otherwise I totally agree, focus on one piece. You (and others) get a lot of useful feedback here in the forum, but it can be a bit overwhelming.

Thanks a lot for your help!
Joerg
hiker

Postby 0zone0ne » 16 Dec 2013, 00:49

Now it should generally seem mixed better, although it may be extremely subtle (if not inaudible) if you're listening to it through quality speakers/headphones.

I have a question regarding how the music is played in-game. Is it possible to have a short audio file that plays an intro when the race starts, and then have another file containing the loopable music? It would nice addition, I think, and it would allow for less sudden and possibly jarring starts to music during races.
Attachments
egypt3.ogg
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 352 times
0zone0ne

Postby Funto » 17 Dec 2013, 09:09

It just needs to be done, but doesn't seem very hard to do :)
Funto

Postby Auria » 18 Dec 2013, 01:16

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:Now it should generally seem mixed better, although it may be extremely subtle (if not inaudible) if you're listening to it through quality speakers/headphones.

I have a question regarding how the music is played in-game. Is it possible to have a short audio file that plays an intro when the race starts, and then have another file containing the loopable music? It would nice addition, I think, and it would allow for less sudden and possibly jarring starts to music during races.

Thanks, I am committing your changes.

And regarding a song intro, it's doable, just not really a priority when we have massive tasks upon us like improving graphics and adding networked play, I hope you understand :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 20 Dec 2013, 00:15

So, Shifting Sands is finished now. :D

On to a new subject: is this a good start for Snow Peak? :p
(The Tux Racer arrangement is at about 0:24 to 0:38)
Attachments
snow_test.ogg
(1.15 MiB) Downloaded 337 times
0zone0ne

Re: Merry Christmas

Postby 0zone0ne » 20 Dec 2013, 21:35

I really, really like it! :D

In order to keep STK's music in a consistent style, which is kind of my main goal in this thread, I wonder if you would be happy for me to remix your theme little bit? I'll try not to do anything that you, as the composer, aren't happy with. If you're ok with this, are you able to export the music as a midi file?
0zone0ne

Postby Auria » 20 Dec 2013, 23:58

Krobonil: your little tune is awesome :) I think maybe it could be tweaked a little to make instruments sound a little more real, but otherwise the composition work is top-notch

0zone0ne: that's not bad, but I find it kind of not-snowy-enough : too much percussions IMO, and perhaps not quite melodic enough (the first few seconds for instance sound a bit too hard for a now feeling IMO). The tux racer remix is quite cool, but I'm frankly not too convinced by the pizzicato strings, which don't blend in that well. Hope I don't come across as harsh :) The last third of the song, in my opinion, is much closer to what we'd like
Auria
STK Moderator