Music to be Added/Replaced?

Re: Music to be Added/Replaced?

Postby Sauer2 » 24 Nov 2013, 10:57

Funto {l Wrote}:Note on MilkyTracker: raaaah that non-resizeable window!! :'(

Yeah. Also there seems to be a playback bug in race1 with MilkyTracker, so in this rare case, you maybe should use Schismtracker.

Also too bad, they both are replicas of DOS/Amiga/Atari/Whatever software with self-drawn GUIs which cause eye cancer. A free kind of renoise without the DAW stuff is really needed.
Sauer2

Postby 0zone0ne » 26 Nov 2013, 05:45

All that's left that I need to do with Shifting Sands is finish the mixing and make a few of the instruments sound less synthesised. Below I have posted my newer version of the Overworld theme, please tell me what you think of it. :) I feel that it's kind of a hugely improved version of the current music. There's also what seems to be at this point an unused track which I originally made for Bovine Barnyard/Harvest (which is complete as far as I'm concerned).
Attachments
overworld2_1.ogg
(2.1 MiB) Downloaded 297 times
farm2.ogg
(1.63 MiB) Downloaded 298 times
0zone0ne

Postby Auria » 27 Nov 2013, 00:40

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:All that's left that I need to do with Shifting Sands is finish the mixing and make a few of the instruments sound less synthesised. Below I have posted my newer version of the Overworld theme, please tell me what you think of it. :) I feel that it's kind of a hugely improved version of the current music. There's also what seems to be at this point an unused track which I originally made for Bovine Barnyard/Harvest (which is complete as far as I'm concerned).

I think the overworld music is very cool, well done!

As for the farm song, it's not bad, but I must also say that nothing in it specifically links it to a farm in my mind? The previous sound had a little western feeling, which might be good to keep. other opinions are also welcome, this is only my opinion
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby samuncle » 27 Nov 2013, 02:40

I'm already thinking about the future (farm will become harvest in 0.9). So the plot is in the great plains with corn being harvesting. A ranch, grain elevator, etc etc.

So I think it's the right place for a country music. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsPyYmeFJOw <- here is some example from the game GTA5
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby betharatux1 » 27 Nov 2013, 11:14

just an opinion, when i try your music overworld2.ogg in jungle track ... hm, i think cool too :lol:
and ozone, how with try make an awesome music for minigolf too ? ( opinion again ) :think:
"Just jumping and somersault on spring bed at mall, then great ideas come" Image
betharatux1

Postby samuncle » 27 Nov 2013, 11:41

Keep calm ;). OzoneOne isn't a super hero. Let him finish the farm soundtrack ^^ before asking another music.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 28 Nov 2013, 09:33

To be honest, I don't really know what I can do make the farm music seem more "western". I mean, it has all of the necessary instruments, and as far as I know there isn't any real specific way of composing to make it sound western (for example, using special scales, chord structure, etc), so what do you think, specifically, is missing?

And gosh, people really seem to want the jungle music replaced. I thought that it was relatively new?
0zone0ne

Postby Funto » 28 Nov 2013, 23:56

On the proposed music for overworld, I would use to describe it as "sunny" and "adventurous". Listening to that makes me feel like "hey what a great day, the sun is shining, birds are chipping;...".
I think that matches with the open space that is our overworld :)

On farm2.ogg: that sounds so "Crash Bandicoot-y" ! But I don't picture a farm at all with that one...I tend to picture levels of Crash 2 actually :)
So...great song, but maybe a bit generic? I'm not sure where it could be used?

Also, should we aim at a consistent style of music throughout the game?

EDIT: on how to make it sound more "western": I would take inspiration from Country music, which is quite fast and uses banjo-style sounds. Typically, Ricky Skaggs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uIxJFZoCxM
Violin is also very important, the rythm is particular and makes us want to follow the beats with our foot on the floor :)
On the scales, it's generally major scales, and very few variations on the chords used...
Well, no link with what you produced, maybe that's room for a brand new music actually :)
Funto

Postby Totoplus62 » 30 Nov 2013, 01:42

The new overworld music is really really cool :D !
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Image SuperTuxKart Popularity
Totoplus62

Postby 0zone0ne » 30 Nov 2013, 06:35

Updated Shifting Sands music. Now it's at the point where the only way I can improve upon it is from other people's suggestions, meaning that it's completed as far as I'm concerned. When we decide on the the version to use in-game, I can also provide a high-quality version, for archiving (and for audiophiles ;) ).
Attachments
egypt2.ogg
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 289 times
0zone0ne

Postby Totoplus62 » 30 Nov 2013, 12:46

Nice i love it ! You are very talented :)
0.8.2 is going to be the release of music and sound revolution.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Totoplus62

Postby Auria » 30 Nov 2013, 21:22

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:Updated Shifting Sands music. Now it's at the point where the only way I can improve upon it is from other people's suggestions, meaning that it's completed as far as I'm concerned. When we decide on the the version to use in-game, I can also provide a high-quality version, for archiving (and for audiophiles ;) ).

I like it, thanks a lot :) Will add it to the game
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Funto » 01 Dec 2013, 00:11

Got my approval too, nice music :) (though I was already convinced by the previous version).
Funto

Postby 0zone0ne » 01 Dec 2013, 00:19

Thank you for the positive feedback everyone. :)

Regarding licences, is there some way I can permit the music to only be used in things associated with SuperTuxKart? Or does that defeat the purpose of being open source?

Also, what do you guys think of the current Star Track music? (Edit: I mean STK Enterprise) Is it going to need new music when the new version (Planetarium) comes out? I just found some older music on my hard drive which I could easily adapt to fit the track.
Last edited by 0zone0ne on 01 Dec 2013, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.
0zone0ne

Postby SuperMat » 01 Dec 2013, 07:20

Your music is really great :)

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:Regarding licences, is there some way I can permit the music to only be used in things associated with SuperTuxKart? Or does that defeat the purpose of being open source?

I don't think, but you can create your own license, but I think that won't be Debian compatible.

Licenses acceptable in STK:
These licenses are acceptable : CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0, GPL, LGPL, Apache License, Mozilla License, Artistic, MIT, BSD License, X11 license, CC0 (Public Domain)
IRC: mt/mteufel @ freenode
SuperMat

Postby Arthur » 01 Dec 2013, 17:04

Correct - it would no longer be Free and open source according to the Free Software Foundation if it had a restriction to only use it for SuperTuxKart, and we would not be able to get the game in the Debian default repositories.

Of those SuperMat listed, CC-BY-SA 3.0 and later and GPL v2 and later are the most restrictive of the bunch already, so using any of the other licenses would grant others even more freedom to use your work as they see fit. Which in your case doesn't seem desired. CC0 actually grants everyone to do everything possible to a work under that license - they can even claim it as their own work, legally. Morally is another thing, so most wouldn't do that if they want to support open source.

DIsclaimer: I am no lawyer and as always should be taken with a healthy dose of salt. ;)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Auria » 01 Dec 2013, 18:01

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:Also, what do you guys think of the current Star Track music? Is it going to need new music when the new version (Planetarium) comes out? I just found some older music on my hard drive which I could easily adapt to fit the track.

Well, star track is no longer part of STK. In its place there is now "STK Enterprise" which IMO has a pretty good song. "Planetarium" was never completed and it's unclear when it will be, if ever, so I think it's best not to worry about this one for the time being.
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 02 Dec 2013, 04:35

Perhaps it could be used in XR591? I attached the file (headphones recommended :D ). Suggestions on how it could be adapted to fit a track in the game would be nice, but I still really think it fits STK Enterprise... and it's original. :eew:

I am also currently working on Snow Peak in between other things.
Attachments
space_test.ogg
(1.8 MiB) Downloaded 286 times
0zone0ne

Postby Totoplus62 » 02 Dec 2013, 10:59

The song of stk enterprise is really good. Then i don't really know what to think about the current XR591 song
Totoplus62

Postby Auria » 03 Dec 2013, 00:34

Hi,

this song is not bad, but IMO the current songs for XR591 and STK Enterprise are better (also, I don't think either of those needs to be replaced at all), so these may not be the best choices to work on at this time
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 03 Dec 2013, 21:02

I found some music I must have made a while back (I think I was originally going to ask if it could replace the Subsea music but never got round to asking), and fixed it up a little to perhaps fit with the Lighthouse track. It doesn't sound anything like any of the the examples you posted, in fact it went in a completely different direction, but I think it still fits. :D If you do really want me to go in the sailor music/sea shanty direction, I can try that as well.
Let me know what you think. ;)
Attachments
bay_test.ogg
(1.99 MiB) Downloaded 287 times
0zone0ne

Postby Totoplus62 » 03 Dec 2013, 21:17

Well, that's nice i think it could fit with Lighthouse IMHO :)
This music is really cheerful
Totoplus62

Postby Funto » 03 Dec 2013, 23:46

Starts like Crash Bandicoot, remembers me of RPGs, and I easily imagine racing near water/on a beach with that song...nice one again :)
Funto

Postby Auria » 04 Dec 2013, 00:24

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:I found some music I must have made a while back (I think I was originally going to ask if it could replace the Subsea music but never got round to asking), and fixed it up a little to perhaps fit with the Lighthouse track. It doesn't sound anything like any of the the examples you posted, in fact it went in a completely different direction, but I think it still fits. :D If you do really want me to go in the sailor music/sea shanty direction, I can try that as well.
Let me know what you think. ;)

This song is very good, but I think it doesn't really fit the mood of lighthouse. However I was thinking, what do you folks think about using this in minigolf? minigolf still uses the old 8-bit chip song from tuxkart
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 04 Dec 2013, 01:10

Auria {l Wrote}:This song is very good, but I think it doesn't really fit the mood of lighthouse. However I was thinking, what do you folks think about using this in minigolf? minigolf still uses the old 8-bit chip song from tuxkart

I agree that it doesn't really fit lighthouse, it's too 'bright' and friendly. Interestingly enough, I think we need tracks that fit that kind of music ;)

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker