Music to be Added/Replaced?

Re: Music to be Added/Replaced?

Postby 0zone0ne » 07 Jan 2014, 19:12

Arthur {l Wrote}:In my opinion we should encourage using FLAC for lossless versions as it takes less space than WAV files yet is not as lossy as even lightly compressed Vorbis.

You do make a good point there. :think:

Anyway, I think using the race tracks to name the music is fine. I'm going to be away for a couple of days, what should I work on when I get back? Also, did Krobonil's music for Lighthouse get put in-game, or does it still need to be finalised?
0zone0ne

Postby Auria » 07 Jan 2014, 23:51

Krobonil's music has been added to the game, yes, though he hasn't yet responded to my request for a lossless version of it
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 12 Jan 2014, 04:55

I think there were a few people who disliked the Amazonian Journey and Old Mine music, both of which I personally think should be replaced (not because they're bad, but because I feel that something else could fit better). Before I assume what everybody wants, could I have another short list of music priorities, like you did at the start of the topic?

In-between other things, I've been working on music for the proposed sewer track. This isn't a main project and is not a priority (since the track isn't done), but I'll put the music here just so you can listen to my progress so far. It contains an arrangement of the cave theme from SuperTux, at about 1:12 to 1:41. :p
Attachments
sewer2.ogg
(1.96 MiB) Downloaded 365 times
0zone0ne

Postby Totoplus62 » 12 Jan 2014, 16:32

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:I think there were a few people who disliked the Amazonian Journey and Old Mine music, both of which I personally think should be replaced (not because they're bad, but because I feel that something else could fit better). Before I assume what everybody wants, could I have another short list of music priorities, like you did at the start of the topic?

In-between other things, I've been working on music for the proposed sewer track. This isn't a main project and is not a priority (since the track isn't done), but I'll put the music here just so you can listen to my progress so far. It contains an arrangement of the cave theme from SuperTux, at about 1:12 to 1:41. :p

Already a masterpiece, i love it :D !
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Image SuperTuxKart Popularity
Totoplus62

Postby Auria » 12 Jan 2014, 20:28

If you are searching for music to make, I may suggest XR591. The current song we have is very good, but it's not original soundtrack for STK and furthermore its license is a bit unclear so we're not 100% sure it's actually released under an open license. So replacing it would fix this uncertainty. Be warned however that since the current song is very good, however, that we will likely be very picky on a replacement

There is also Oliver's math class song (boom boom boom), but someone else already expressed interest in updating this one, so perhaps give them some time to avoid duplicating effort
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 14 Jan 2014, 00:35

This is my WIP first attempt at music for XR591. I made the large risk of creating something that sounds very different to the track's current music. I went for a much more heavy, industrial feel, instead of the very futuristic and clean sound that the current music has. If you don't think this fits, then I can easily scrap it and start fresh.

EDIT: Made minor tweaks.
mars2.ogg
(2.34 MiB) Downloaded 274 times
Attachments
mars1.ogg
(2.33 MiB) Downloaded 244 times
0zone0ne

Postby Auria » 15 Jan 2014, 01:25

As always I welcome more opinions, I don't like being the only one commenting.

I personnally think that while this tune is pretty well done, is doesn't really fit - I would see this fix for a cyberpunk themed game, not for a colourful track like xr591
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Arthur » 15 Jan 2014, 02:11

I have to agree with Auria. It's a good tune but too dramatic for XR591 - maybe it would fit with the sewer track ctdabomb and you have been collaborating on.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby 0zone0ne » 15 Jan 2014, 03:47

Arthur {l Wrote}:maybe it would fit with the sewer track ctdabomb and you have been collaborating on.

That track already has it's own music (even though it isn't even a real track yet!).

I'll start the XR591 music again then. I'm not sure how much of a say I have in this, but I think that the music I just made also really fits the Industry add-ons track (which just used the Kart Grand Prix music last time I played it). I'll get XR591 done first, and if you like the idea of adding the music to Industry (that is, if it's ok to add music to other people's add-ons), I'll continue on that music afterwards.
0zone0ne

Postby Arthur » 15 Jan 2014, 05:11

Well to add different music to an addon you have to at least re-upload the track and unless its original uploader wants that it probably isn't worth duplicating it just to change the music.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby 0zone0ne » 15 Jan 2014, 06:18

Ok then. And of course you would need the track creator's permission, and then need them to re-upload it, and let's just forget I said it. :x
0zone0ne

Postby 0zone0ne » 16 Jan 2014, 01:22

Is this closer to what you have in mind? This one is a lot more upbeat. I want to make sure this is ok before I extend it any further.

EDIT: Updated file.
Attachments
mars2_test.ogg
(868.5 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
0zone0ne

Postby Auria » 17 Jan 2014, 01:30

I like the part from 0:25 to 0:40 :) sounds pretty alien. Less sure about the intro, the percussions are perhaps a bit too hard-rock style for STK, something a little more electronic like in the original would fit better IMO
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby hiker » 17 Jan 2014, 05:09

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:Ok then. And of course you would need the track creator's permission, and then need them to re-upload it, and let's just forget I said it. :x

Check the license of the track, I'd guess that you should be allowed to do that. And you can re-upload yourself.

Supporting music addons is still on our todo list, though ... pretty much at the bottom tbh :(

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Totoplus62 » 18 Jan 2014, 13:57

I disagree with auria about the intro, this is nice.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Totoplus62

Postby 0zone0ne » 21 Jan 2014, 23:42

I disagree about the percussion, it definitely sounds heavy but it's the main thing driving the music. I can change it if you really think it needs to be changed, but the entire song might lose a lot of its depth.

It's full length now, but there's still a bit of tweaking to do from 1:36 onwards.
Attachments
mars2_2.ogg
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 319 times
0zone0ne

Postby samuncle » 23 Jan 2014, 03:25

Hello
I'm sorry to say that but I prefer the original music. I don't like the stereotypical "alien" sound.

I really like the current music. It reminds me wipeout. I think you should go in this direction.
The alien sound is useful for an object. Like a ufo flying around.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 27 Jan 2014, 04:55

Auria {l Wrote}:I like the part from 0:25 to 0:40 :) sounds pretty alien.
samuncle {l Wrote}:I don't like the stereotypical "alien" sound.

Oh god, what do I do? :o

EDIT: I just added synthesised drums and I'll admit that it sounds better than I was expecting:
Attachments
mars2_3.ogg
(2.08 MiB) Downloaded 343 times
0zone0ne

Postby Totoplus62 » 27 Jan 2014, 22:42

I don't really understand what's wrong with the "alien sound"
Totoplus62

Postby vlj » 28 Jan 2014, 00:34

To be honest I'm not fan of this tune, but I don't really know why.
I have no idea how a SF kart track may sound like, although I think something like duck's tale Moon theme may fit well.
vlj

Postby 0zone0ne » 29 Jan 2014, 02:01

Something like the DuckTales Moon Theme would be a bit too happy and grand for the track, in my opinion. Even if it is one of the greatest video game soundtracks of all time.

I will try replacing the "alien-sounding" instrument (it's called a theremin) with a different synthesiser and see how it sounds.
0zone0ne

Postby samuncle » 29 Jan 2014, 03:42

I will try replacing the "alien-sounding" instrument (it's called a theremin) with a different synthesiser and see how it sounds.

Oh ok I didn't know that. It's interesting :). The problem with the "alien sound" is that it reminds me old alien movie in the eighties. However this instrument is strange. I discovered this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6KbEnGnymk. To be honest I love space but I prefer this kinda of video and song.

XR591 will be (when I will do the conversion to the next gen engine) a track on Mars. Something that will remind wipeout with giant ad screens etc. I think you should take some inspiration in their soundtrack http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W637xyjv3io
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 15 Feb 2014, 00:22

I just want to let you guys know that even though I've been inactive for a while, I'm still working on this. I'm currently very busy with other things, but I will continue with this as soon as I can.
0zone0ne

Postby Totoplus62 » 16 Feb 2014, 00:56

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:I just want to let you guys know that even though I've been inactive for a while, I'm still working on this. I'm currently very busy with other things, but I will continue with this as soon as I can.

The same for me, i currently don't have time to work on stuff at all :cry:
Totoplus62

Postby dany777 » 01 May 2014, 11:42

I was doing music edits, infact, im thinking on releasing my edited STK for the public, or maybe

Here is an example i did

youtu.be/vCW2GJuYmVs
Musics used:
Main menu: Sports Car GT - Supreme GT
Track intro: Super Street Fighter II Turbo - Versus
Subsea music: Ocean Dreams (EQ)
Race finish music: Super Street Fighter II Turbo - Stage end, or warever is called
Race sumary music: Supre Street Fighter II Turbo - Character Select (Loops after 30 minutes, i dont want to make the size of the ogg very big)
Hexley, the best character in STK, and probably very few people uses him
dany777