New HUD design

Re: New HUD design

Postby Binky » 22 Jan 2013, 22:42

Could your rank be written inside the speedometer?
OpenPandora obsessive - You do want a pocket sized Linux PC with gaming controls, don't you?
Full root access out of the box - Full qwerty keyboard - Full battery lasts 15 hours of real work!
Binky

Postby Totoplus62 » 23 Jan 2013, 18:17

Binky {l Wrote}:Could your rank be written inside the speedometer?

This isn't what we wanted initially.

Totoplus62 {l Wrote}:Just put the nitro bar on the speedometer like in many games ;) ( And don't touch the nitro bar for the minimal race GUI)
So the speedometer will be more usefull !
Then put the number of laps under the minimap

Now you have space on the top right :) and the whole HUD is more clear.

Nfs hot pursuit for example

Then what do you think of this new solution for translations (2/20 on this picture for example) ---> Image

I forgot to say that the nitro bar currently doesn't look the best. Just think about my solution ;) :
--> there is space for big number
--> there is no more problem with translation
--> it make the game looks even more professional :cool:
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Image SuperTuxKart Popularity
Totoplus62

Postby Totoplus62 » 18 Feb 2013, 22:37

New Speedometer
I've been thinking about speedometer design since lot of time and i think the nitro bar don't look the best :o , so i spent the afternoon to make it be better :) CTTR was a good source of inspiration but this speedometer is different. 80% of the previous STK speedometer was useless; I hope you will like this one, i think it is better for kart games IMHO ! :)

So, now the nitro bar is on the speedometer, i personnaly think it looks better for nitro and now we have space for bigger number (ranking) ;)
This speedometer is a first step to improve the hud, i will work on other things (Rank etc...)
Basically you can catch 16 nitro bottle so i divided into two colors
---> the first 8 bottles:Image
---> then from 8 to 16:Image
Developper have to adjust speedometer mecanism to make it works fine ingame.

Here are few illustrations (We can change the size of the speedometer, it is maybe too much big).

You can dowload the files in this post (256*256):
Attachments
speedometer.zip
(90.46 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
Last edited by Totoplus62 on 19 Feb 2013, 11:33, edited 6 times in total.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Totoplus62

Postby Funto » 18 Feb 2013, 23:06

Interesting, but the colors are quite near and I didn't understand how the transition from the first 8 bottles to the next happen...
16 bars really don't fit? Or maybe each bar can be half-filled?
Funto

Postby Totoplus62 » 18 Feb 2013, 23:18

We can (very) easily change colors :)
Explanation: Image 8+8=16 ^^, we can easily see the transition.
16 bar don't look the best. "Or maybe each bar can be half-filled?" -This is another solution

For comparison
(in this game the blue bar is not nitro, maybe the health ?)
Last edited by Totoplus62 on 19 Feb 2013, 11:27, edited 2 times in total.
Totoplus62

Postby hiker » 19 Feb 2013, 02:30

I like this speedometer. Not entirely sure about the nitro (note that we also need to add a bar indicating the nitro level required for challenges).

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Totoplus62 » 19 Feb 2013, 11:30

Ok i will make some adjustments in the next few days :)
Totoplus62

Postby Totoplus62 » 24 Feb 2013, 17:13

With "ungraduated" nitro gauge :)

hiker {l Wrote}: we also need to add a bar indicating the nitro level required for challenges.

I did a gauge for this, the file is called "nitrotarget".

I didn't put graduation because i think it looks better without it IMHO but you can easily place them on it, even if i think graduation are useless thanks to the gauge made to indicate the level of nitro you need for challenges.
So the player directly identify the blue gauge as the nitro bar like in many games, the previous was unnecessarily far too massive :) .
Attachments
final.zip
(73.73 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Totoplus62

Postby Auria » 26 Feb 2013, 05:31

I think overall it looks good, I am just not completely sure about the number in the middle. Maybe we place the current lap in there instead of the speed?
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby betharatux1 » 26 Feb 2013, 07:42

Auria {l Wrote}:I think overall it looks good, I am just not completely sure about the number in the middle. Maybe we place the current lap in there instead of the speed?

i agree ;)
"Just jumping and somersault on spring bed at mall, then great ideas come" Image
betharatux1

Postby RaceAce » 26 Feb 2013, 16:22

Yes, that design looks quite nice, plus it compacts the needed information into a smaller area. Yes, I think that the lap number should be inside the dial, maybe in white bubble lettering?
Bananas are yummy
RaceAce

Postby Totoplus62 » 26 Feb 2013, 21:31

RaceAce {l Wrote}:Yes, that design looks quite nice, plus it compacts the needed information into a smaller area.

Exactly :)

I thought it was better to have the precise speed but your alternative with laps could be quite interesting :o
I also thought it could be interesting to place laps under/above/ or insid the minimap, in fact we can put everything we want insid the speedometer for example in Crash tag team racing this is the weapon
Totoplus62

Postby diogocampos » 15 Apr 2013, 06:34

Here are my 9 cents (mockups)

Important:
This is just a brainstorming. None of these mockups tries to be "the final version", I just got (or created) the elements and played with them. Furthermore, all elements can (or should) be replaced for equivalent versions that are more beautiful and consistent with the theme of the game. I'm not an artist, nor a designer, nor a dev, just a random guy. Is expressly permitted mixing elements of different mockups.

9-cents.jpg

The mockups are attached. The 9 in a single image.

----------

About the classes

Conservative:
Try to be as faithful as possible to the current elements and positionings, what varies most is the list of racers.

Experimental:
Uses new elements (similar to current ones) and explores different positionings.

Highly experimental:
See with your own eyes, not recommended for the faint of heart.

Individual observations

Reference:
This is only a reference image, with the purpose of showing the current state and allow comparisons.

Classic:
The list of racers shows only the first 10.

Classic Plus:
The list of racers is equal to the Classic, but with the names of the racers.

Smart:
The list of racers shows their positions. And...
When there are fewer than 10 racers it behaves like Classic.
When there are more than 10 racers it is divided into three parts - the top one shows the first three, the bottom one shows the last two, and the middle one shows those with the positions closest to you (and you, if not in none of the other two).

Smart Reduced:
The list of racers shows only the middle column of Smart.

Monster:
The orange bar is a speed meter.
The blue bar is a nitro meter.
The white bar is a "progress" meter, a substitute to the lap counter, it abstracts numbers and shows how much has already been driven/completed (and, obviously, how much remaining to end the race).
The top bar shows the avatars at a distance to each other proportional that they are in the race.

All:
In my head, all maps are rotating.

----------

By the way, my favorite is Monster.
diogocampos

Postby Totoplus62 » 15 Apr 2013, 11:56

Good work,
If i have to choose one, it should be smart reduced conservative :) with some ohter new small elements (like the current circle around player's character icon, the shader you forget behind the speedometer...), the speedometer a bit bigger. Another font like "Hand Drawn Shape" with the same back outline --> http://www.dafont.com/fr/hand-drawn-shapes.font

Then something behind weapon icon --> Currently the icon is alone, it's a little weird

And my greatest wish -> Big numbers for ranking (take a lookthe beginning of the thread)
I don't like the design of the blue and orange speedometer
Last edited by Totoplus62 on 15 Apr 2013, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Totoplus62

Postby GunChleoc » 15 Apr 2013, 11:59

I'd like Smart Reduced (conservative) but with the position and lap info moved to the top.
GunChleoc

Postby jymis » 15 Apr 2013, 14:55

Good !

In the Clean Sword experimental, I think that the "x number" of current weapon would be better placed inside the circle, with weapon's icon. Otherwise we don't know immediately what it is.
jymis

Postby tavariz91 » 15 Apr 2013, 15:47

Smart Reduced (conservative) for me too :)

It's not a so big change for the player but a good improvement. I don't think the player wants to know which AI is currently winning while he is 7th. Maybe it could be an idea later for networking game...

The "Clean" map looks good for me, especially when the track is big.
"I do not agree with what you say, but I will fight up to death so that you have the right to say it"
- Voltaire
tavariz91

Postby hiker » 16 Apr 2013, 01:53

Auria {l Wrote}:I think overall it looks good, I am just not completely sure about the number in the middle. Maybe we place the current lap in there instead of the speed?

We got a patch from 'nixt', a potential GSoC student for this, which I have already applied.

Thanks for the new design here, and to nixt for the patch!

Yes, we should see if we can put something else in the middle - items or laps or ranking?

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby leiget » 16 Apr 2013, 02:03

Whatever you do, I recommend smoothing out the corners of the numbers like "1" and "7". Makes it look better.
leiget

Postby tavariz91 » 16 Apr 2013, 10:41

hiker {l Wrote}:Yes, we should see if we can put something else in the middle - items or laps or ranking?

Maybe let the choice to the player in the option menu. I really really prefer the speed instead of anything else in the middle.

IMHO what could be cool:

When in user interface option, instead of minimal race GUI option you get 4 checkboxes. You check the item(S) you want to see in the middle of your counter. the unchecked items are set on the HUD at their default places. If more thaan one item, they are disposed on a line or a triangle (dependig on the number of items)

You have a default choice, but you can easily change it and get a better HUD for YOU.

(Note: By Item I mean time, lap, speed, gift you have...)

I live in switzerland, so the other thing could be: make a vote! :cool:
"I do not agree with what you say, but I will fight up to death so that you have the right to say it"
- Voltaire
tavariz91

Postby Totoplus62 » 16 Apr 2013, 11:52

hiker {l Wrote}:Yes, we should see if we can put something else in the middle - items or laps or ranking?

When i did this i was thinking of the speed insid the speedometer but it could be everything we want in this space.
We don't currently put big number for ranking, maybe the ranking could be a nice solution.. or laps ? I don't know
Totoplus62

Postby WillemS » 16 Apr 2013, 12:59

hiker {l Wrote}:We got a patch from 'nixt', a potential GSoC student for this, which I have already applied.

Thanks for the new design here, and to nixt for the patch!

That's nice, it looks beautiful :cool:

However, the nitro bar is now a little bit strange when using the minimal race GUI: it is very small, I first didn't even notice that it was there ;)
WillemS

Postby E-Dragon » 16 Apr 2013, 16:07

WillemS {l Wrote}: However, the nitro bar is now a little bit strange when using the minimal race GUI: it is very small, I first didn't even notice that it was there ;)

I guess you should enlarge the nitro bar or maybe you can write nitro or only nit into or next to the bar. ;)
This might solve this.
Personaly I like the new design :D.
However the HUD is here to give you Information about your speed and your nitro, so I wouldn´t prefer an HUD which gives me little Information about those.
E-Dragon

Postby Totoplus62 » 16 Apr 2013, 20:50

WillemS {l Wrote}:That's nice, it looks beautiful :cool:

Good ! :cool:

@E-dragon : The speed is a lot more clear with this new speedometer IMHO, i also know lot's of other game where the nitro bar is even finer ^^ this is because you still have the habit to look the left side of the screen i think :think: .
But if you think this is a real problem, i have a simple solution that could maybe be a nice effect and make the speedometer more clear:

--> when you press nitro key, the nitro bar look brighter while using nitro --> This shows... you use/burn nitro :) (i joined this brighter nitro)
Attachments
bright.zip
(13.91 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
Last edited by Totoplus62 on 19 Apr 2013, 00:00, edited 2 times in total.
Totoplus62

Postby tavariz91 » 16 Apr 2013, 22:35

:) :) :) Excellent idea! These kind of details can make the difference between something good and "the est racing kart game ever" :cool:
- Voltaire
tavariz91