jymis

Re: better Shifting Sands track

Postby qubodup » 05 Jun 2012, 12:47

comparison of the egypt.png in-game:

1 http://i.imgur.com/DHFnN.jpg http://i.imgur.com/xwaNb.jpg

2 http://i.imgur.com/xC5wE.jpg http://i.imgur.com/oRmw1.jpg

3 http://i.imgur.com/Ahft1.jpg http://i.imgur.com/QHEfY.jpg

4 http://i.imgur.com/MJ55F.jpg http://i.imgur.com/PrEGm.jpg

As an outsider, I would say that 4 is good to go. (If you're not content with 4 as the artist: I would make the texture less apparent (assuming it's a 50%-opacity layer above the drawings, I would make it 25%-opacity layer.)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 18 Jun 2012, 21:41

I will have a lot of time tomorrow and probably Wednesday to work on this, and I am hoping to finish (or get very close to finishing) this track then. Could people please test and point out bugs and Ideas and could some people test in reverse mode?
thanks,
ctdabomb

P.S.@devs: would this track be able to replace the old sandtrack?
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Arthur » 18 Jun 2012, 22:15

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:P.S.@devs: would this track be able to replace the old sandtrack?

I don't decide, but if I may be so bold, I'd say that chances are pretty high if all issues are sorted out. The current sandtrack isn't exactly a gem. ;)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby ctdabomb » 19 Jun 2012, 23:50

I added the new texture, improved the waterfall and fixed most of the camel's animation but get stuck with the rest. I have also set the water to rescue karts when they hit it, but it never happens.
Attachments
sandtrack.7z
(3.32 MiB) Downloaded 250 times
Some people are like slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't help smiling when you shove them down the stairs.
ctdabomb

Postby Auria » 20 Jun 2012, 01:04

Hi,

regarding water, I don't think you are doing it correctly. Namely, in the water texture, you have only set "water splash", this doesn't trigger a rescue. To just trigger a rescue, check "Reset kart" . But for the nicer effect with a splash, make sure to check the wiki article again, for instance you need to model a seabed for the splash-and-rescue to work and this is documented

Now what is left, the main issue I think is the bumpiness at the exit of the big pyramid. I think one big problem there is that the road is not banked towards the center of the curve, see the blue note near the bottom of http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Ble ... g_Tutorial

The camel is still quite a bit walking through the floor, its feet should of course follow the ground

Good improvementss on the rest :)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 20 Jun 2012, 02:01

Auria {l Wrote}:The camel is still quite a bit walking through the floor, its feet should of course follow the ground

thats the part I am having problems with :/
ctdabomb

Postby Ludsky » 20 Jun 2012, 10:25

It's Wonderful but two bugs for :

1 - A camel (Said by Auria)

2 - Problem for the road for there Karts (The karts can't take the road to ride) :

this bug does not work all the time, Perhaps, block the karts with palm trees, statue ? (see picture) Put the statues around the road (that rises)

Ludsky

Postby jymis » 22 Jun 2012, 17:40

Ludsky {l Wrote}:this bug does not work all the time, Perhaps, block the karts with palm trees, statue ? (see picture) Put the statues around the road (that rises)

I don't agree with you about statues here. It's a shortcut, a secret passage. So if there are statues that must be discreet.

But what's about statues inside the main pyramid ?

I haven't seen this line into the license text :
egypt.png ("FreeLogographs", 2012, made with Inkscape and Gimp), by Ned J. and Lili Lith, released under CC BY-SA 3.0
can you update it ? thanks
jymis

Postby Ludsky » 22 Jun 2012, 19:11

jymis {l Wrote}:
Ludsky {l Wrote}:this bug does not work all the time, Perhaps, block the karts with palm trees, statue ? (see picture) Put the statues around the road (that rises)

I don't agree with you about statues here. It's a shortcut, a secret passage. So if there are statues that must be discreet.

But what's about statues inside the main pyramid ?

I haven't seen this line into the license text :
egypt.png ("FreeLogographs", 2012, made with Inkscape and Gimp), by Ned J. and Lili Lith, released under CC BY-SA 3.0
can you update it ? thanks

It's not a secret passage but if you put a statue, the passage will be secret :)
Ludsky

Postby jymis » 22 Jun 2012, 20:21

Err, yes. That's a problem anyway. So not just around the road for the shorcut, but before it and a little further after, on both sides of the sand road ?
jymis

Postby Ludsky » 22 Jun 2012, 22:03

jymis {l Wrote}:Err, yes. That's a problem anyway. So not just around the road for the shorcut, but before it and a little further after, on both sides of the sand road ?

No is possible
Ludsky

Postby qubodup » 26 Jun 2012, 04:12

(I will refer to the track in this thread as Sandtrack 2)

Sandtrack 2, when compared to Sandtrack, is thinner, longer and has a side-path.

Sandtrack is my favorite map to play with people new to STK. Its shortness allows to learn it quickly, the wide paths give a lot of relief (on thin paths, you have to focus harder) and while there are path visibility issues, there is no side-path, which confuses new players.

I haven't been playing STK much lately and don't remember whether there are any other easy tracks. If no, I would probably keep using Sandtrack, to introduce STK to new players.
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 26 Jun 2012, 17:32

qubodup {l Wrote}:I haven't been playing STK much lately and don't remember whether there are any other easy tracks. If no, I would probably keep using Sandtrack, to introduce STK to new players.

maybe Farm/Bovine Barnyard?
ctdabomb

Postby ctdabomb » 26 Jun 2012, 18:54

here is another update with everything fixed (what do people think about the water splash?(the wiki was confusing when telling how to do it)) except for the camel :eew: and probably the additional driveline will need to be a bit better.
Attachments
sandtrack.7z
(3.38 MiB) Downloaded 295 times
ctdabomb

Postby Ludsky » 26 Jun 2012, 20:05

qubodup {l Wrote}:(I will refer to the track in this thread as Sandtrack 2)

Sandtrack 2, when compared to Sandtrack, is thinner, longer and has a side-path.

Sandtrack is my favorite map to play with people new to STK. Its shortness allows to learn it quickly, the wide paths give a lot of relief (on thin paths, you have to focus harder) and while there are path visibility issues, there is no side-path, which confuses new players.

I haven't been playing STK much lately and don't remember whether there are any other easy tracks. If no, I would probably keep using Sandtrack, to introduce STK to new players.

Santrack 2 is good :) Hacienda & Farms are easy maps ;)

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:here is another update with everything fixed (what do people think about the water splash?(the wiki was confusing when telling how to do it)) except for the camel :eew: and probably the additional driveline will need to be a bit better.

There are still bugs, nothing has been corrected?!
Ludsky

Postby ctdabomb » 26 Jun 2012, 20:45

Ludsky {l Wrote}:There are still bugs, nothing has been corrected?!

really? isn't the road by the pyramid fixed and the water splash? etc......?
ctdabomb

Postby qubodup » 26 Jun 2012, 21:26

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:here is another update with everything fixed (what do people think about the water splash?(the wiki was confusing when telling how to do it)) except for the camel :eew: and probably the additional driveline will need to be a bit better.

I also still run into a camel on the bride in this track. Wrong file uploaded? :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby ctdabomb » 26 Jun 2012, 21:39

maybe, does that water splash?
EDIT: yes this is a/the newer version.
ctdabomb

Postby qubodup » 26 Jun 2012, 22:16

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:maybe, does that water splash?
EDIT: yes this is a/the newer version.

Yes, the water splashes (looking good).
I didn't see that you warned about cam still being 'broken'. So this is a wrong report I think :)
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Ludsky » 27 Jun 2012, 09:58

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:
Ludsky {l Wrote}:There are still bugs, nothing has been corrected?!

really? isn't the road by the pyramid fixed and the water splash? etc......?

Really for the road & pyramid
try my idea or other but block there Karts
Ludsky

Postby ctdabomb » 02 Jul 2012, 16:54

Ludsky, in your first post in this topic, you showed some cool screenshots. did you take those your self if so where did you get those files from?
ctdabomb

Postby qubodup » 02 Jul 2012, 19:40

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:Ludsky, in your first post in this topic, you showed some cool screenshots. did you take those your self if so where did you get those files from?

They are from the old thread:
qubodup
Global Moderator

Postby Ludsky » 02 Jul 2012, 19:50

ctdabomb {l Wrote}:Ludsky, in your first post in this topic, you showed some cool screenshots. did you take those your self if so where did you get those files from?

This topic >> viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1075&hilit=sandtrack
Ludsky

Postby ctdabomb » 02 Jul 2012, 19:53

yes, but which package?
ctdabomb