Music Contribution to SuperTuxKart

Music Contribution to SuperTuxKart

Postby KrisHarmony » 12 Oct 2016, 04:49

Hi everyone,

I have read the Music and SFX guidelines and I think that some of my compositions may fit the style of the game.

Specifically, "Kazakely, the Kool and Kind Kakebesola" and "Drinking Malagasy Rum" I feel are potentially good candidates for inclusion in the game, if others agree. Here are the links to the two tracks: https://soundcloud.com/kris-harmony-sa/ ... a-lifetime & https://soundcloud.com/kris-harmony-sa/ ... a-lifetime

Please feel free to give both of the tracks a listen and let me know if the style of either fits the game.

If there is positive feedback about including the music in the game, I am willing to make adjustments to allow for better looping and also faster paced variations for final lap scenarios.

Thanks, kind regards and also tsiky tsiky lava (always smile)
Kris Harmony
KrisHarmony

Re: Music Contribution to SuperTuxKart

Postby Auria » 14 Oct 2016, 02:34

Hi,

OzoneOne and Krobonil would be the best ones to comment, but since they don't seem to be around I'll just chime in with my 2 cents, hopefully this is constructive criticism.

Those are nice songs, but I'm not sure they quite fit in a racing context? Our songs usually have a slightly faster tempo and a bit more percussion/rythm (yours are fairly quiet songs, may work well in the background for something quieter than a racing game). Also, and I know how hard it is to get right, but at times the use of synthesizers is a bit obvious, the instruments don't sound quite natural.
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby KrisHarmony » 14 Oct 2016, 05:09

Hi Auria,

Thank you for your response and also for taking the time to listen to my music, it is much appreciated. Your feedback has also been well received.

I had listened to some of the music present in the game on YouTube and heard more down tempo songs (like 'Jungle' by mmg, 'On the River' by Bluepiano and 'Underwater' by Kämmerer). Though, I downloaded the latest snapshot of the game from SVN and heard that some of the music I had heard is no longer present and that the current soundtrack is much higher tempo than my provided musical pieces.

With that being said, is there room for compositions in the style of what I submitted? Except, of course, being more uptempo, using an expanded percussion set and also higher quality synthesis and samples.

Regarding the sound of the tracks, just as an aside, I had wanted to use the Roland SC-55 patch set for those particular arrangements, which does have a very synthetic sound but also a level of nostalgic value.
KrisHarmony

Postby Auria » 19 Oct 2016, 00:00

There may be room for a few quieter songs, but it's important to note that OzoneOne and Krobonil have already done a lot of work on STK's soundtrack, and a few more songs are in progress, so we don't have many tracks left that need a new soundtrack at this time. So contributing would probably need to be a lot more specific, for instance making music for a specific agreed upon track that no one else is already working on. Maybe our musicians can shime in
Auria
STK Moderator