INDEX

Click the song titles to download
Week 1: Ravenbridge Mansion
Week 2: Nolok's Fortress (Fort Magma)
Week 3: Overworld
Week 4: Miniature Motoring (???)

ORIGINAL POST

Hello everybody!

As some of you may already know, Krobonil and I have been working hard creating lots of new music for STK. We were going to wait until everything was complete until we released it, but the whole process is taking much longer than expected, so I've decided to share a bit of what we've done so far. I'm not sure how things are going to work out at the moment but it's likely I'll post a new preview each week until we run out of finished music.

Please note that the music you will hear is intended to be heard in-game; these have been meticulously mixed and tested in-game to balance with the sound effects and blend in as seamlessly as possible. (When we release the final OGGs I will also release .music files with correct volume settings.) On this thread I will be sharing high-quality MP3s with fadeouts added to the ends.
When more in-game music has been completed we will work on special extended versions made for proper listening... but more on that later. ;)

The recent announcement of the new mansion track means this is a good time to show off our haunted-house themed music. This one takes inspiration from classic halloween themes as well as circus music.
Ravenbridge Mansion (Click to download)

I hope you enjoy the music! :D
Last edited by 0zone0ne on 01 Aug 2015, 23:38, edited 4 times in total.
0zone0ne

Re: New Soundtrack Previews

Postby charlie » 10 Jul 2015, 00:59

It is very good!
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 10 Jul 2015, 01:39

The song is nice and fits the track, but, thank you (ironic mode on): now I can't repeat the Julius FucIk theme on my track "Circus" ! :twisted: :p
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 11 Jul 2015, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby ArDanWol » 10 Jul 2015, 03:03

Love it!
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby Auria » 14 Jul 2015, 01:57

This is very good, keep up the good work! Looking forward to hearing the finished work
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby 0zone0ne » 17 Jul 2015, 11:13

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! I'm glad that you like our music so far! :D

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:now I can't repeat the Julius FucIk theme on my track "Circus" ! :twisted: :p

Don't worry, I'm sure you can think up something original. ;)

This one is our new music for Fort Magma. It's largely an arrangement of the Fortress theme from SuperTux (composed by Wansti), with extra saxophones, solos, and a double kick drum thrown in for good measure. :cool: Use headphones with proper bass!
Nolok's Fortress (Fort Magma) [Click to download]
Last edited by 0zone0ne on 01 Aug 2015, 23:37, edited 3 times in total.
0zone0ne

Postby XGhost » 18 Jul 2015, 00:13

Damn, this is absolute fantastic! Awesome music and coherent melodies (I like the amazing guitar riff)! Fits perfect for the last and final race against Nolok.
Stunning work, congratulation to both of you!
Impressive, Genius! Can go happily to bed now...
XGhost

Postby capricom45 » 18 Jul 2015, 00:27

the fort magma song is pretty loud - even at 50% volume.

Don't get me wrong, I like the track, but it's loud.
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45

Postby 0zone0ne » 18 Jul 2015, 03:40

XGhost {l Wrote}:Damn, this is absolute fantastic! Awesome music and coherent melodies (I like the amazing guitar riff)! Fits perfect for the last and final race against Nolok.

Thank you!

capricom45 {l Wrote}:the fort magma song is pretty loud - even at 50% volume.

I assure you, it's far under the standard volume of most commercial music. The fortress music should be roughly the same loudness as the mansion music.
Last edited by 0zone0ne on 01 Aug 2015, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.
0zone0ne

Postby 0zone0ne » 25 Jul 2015, 00:48

Since the Overworld is basically equivalent to a level selection menu, we decided to arrange and extend the Track Select Menu music from the original TuxKart (composed by Matt Thomas) for the new Overworld theme. Hopefully a few of you will recognise the first half of the tune.
This one is quite different from all the other music we've done for the game: Usually we try to fit as many different musical ideas into as little time as possible, developing an idea as thoroughly as we can before moving onto the next. The Overworld theme is the opposite of this; it is slow-paced with a less clear direction. We also tried to do something a little more interesting with the looping, with a short anacrusis (an unstressed beat or two before the beginning of the music) to make a smooth transition into Story Mode from the main menu.
Overworld (Click to download)
Last edited by 0zone0ne on 01 Aug 2015, 23:38, edited 4 times in total.
0zone0ne

Postby Akien » 25 Jul 2015, 11:17

Ravenbridge Mansion is really cool; the mix between halloween themes and the classical circus theme do well for a cartoony haunted mansion. It's not too creepy for the smaller children, and still has a very nice taste to it. I particularly like the bells/glockenspiel :)

I love how you rearranged the Fortress song with the saxophones, overdrive and the piano of course; I'd like to hear a bit more piano in it, but that's mostly because I'm a pianist I guess, not necessarily that it would be fitting for the track :P

The Overworld theme is a really nice take on rearranging TuxKart's Track Select Menu, I was not really familiar with the tune but I jumped back and forth between the two themes and the references are pretty nice. I think the overall atmosphere with strings and bass will fit the overworld nicely. It reminds me a bit of some musics of Neverball/Neverputt too :)

0zone0ne {l Wrote}:When more in-game music has been completed we will work on special extended versions made for proper listening... but more on that later. ;)

I'm really looking forward to it, I could very well listen to a STK album from time to time :) But I agree that the focus should be on integrating music in the game first, I can't wait to play the tracks with your new pieces :)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby 0zone0ne » 01 Aug 2015, 03:10

It's taken a long time, but the new music for samuncle's Math Class track replacement is finally done! Most of you should recognise a small part of the melody from the old track's music. The old song has become a classic and is known by most STK players, so I hope we've done it justice!
Miniature Motoring (???) [Click to download]

Because we don't really know much about the new track, or even its name, the song's title is not necessarily final and small adjustments may have to be made in the future.

Additionally, all three of the other songs I've posted on this thread have been updated with cleaner mixing and mastering. Most people shouldn't notice a difference, but if you're interesting in keeping the latest versions, you can go back to the links earlier in this thread and they should now send you to the newer songs.
Last edited by 0zone0ne on 01 Aug 2015, 23:40, edited 3 times in total.
0zone0ne

Postby charlie » 01 Aug 2015, 12:14

That's really good stuff. Perhaps you could put all the links in the first post of the thread too as some sort of index.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby ArDanWol » 01 Aug 2015, 12:56

Wow, this is all really good stuff! We have such good composers on our team! Keep it up!
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
ArDanWol

Postby 0zone0ne » 01 Aug 2015, 23:31

charlie {l Wrote}:Perhaps you could put all the links in the first post of the thread too as some sort of index.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've added an index to the OP.
0zone0ne

Postby HarJIT » 06 Aug 2015, 14:55

It's probably worth mentioning that while "TuxKart: Track 7" (tk7.mod) states in the MOD description that it is for the track selection menu, it was actually used for Shifting Sands (the track selection menu was silent until STK0.4).

TK7's last appearance was in STK0.5, as one of a pair of alternate soundtracks for Shifting Sands.
While I do not intend to offend, I might offend those who do not know me well, either by accident or due to my occasionally blunt disposition going too far or else not translating well to a text-only medium. I do accept polite explanations of what I am doing wrong, and I do try my best.
HarJIT

Postby 0zone0ne » 09 Aug 2015, 01:46

HarJIT {l Wrote}:It's probably worth mentioning that while "TuxKart: Track 7" (tk7.mod) states in the MOD description that it is for the track selection menu, it was actually used for Shifting Sands (the track selection menu was silent until STK0.4).

TK7's last appearance was in STK0.5, as one of a pair of alternate soundtracks for Shifting Sands.

That's interesting... Do you know if it was used for the Shifting Sands track in the original TuxKart as well? Since the MOD descriptions seem to be untrustworthy, does anyone know where each song plays in the game?

There isn't going to be a new song this week, the one I wanted to post isn't ready yet. I'm currently testing it in-game to balance the volume of each instrument. It'll be ready next week.
0zone0ne

Postby HarJIT » 10 Aug 2015, 09:17

In the original TuxKart, the menu was in fact silent (at least, it is in my self-compiled copy of TuxKart 0.4.0). The soundtracks were assigned thusly:

TuxKart: Track 2 (tk2.mod):
  • Tux Tollway [i.e. Classic Tollway]
  • Geeko Peak [became Snow Peak]

TuxKart: Track 5a (tk5a.mod):
  • Gowns Bow

TuxKart: Track 7 (tk7.mod):
  • Shifting Sands

Boom Boom Boom (Boom_boom_boom.mod):
  • Oliver's Math Class

Tux-AQFH Recomposed (tuxr.mod):
  • BSODs Battlements [became Fort Magma]

The MOD soundtracks were the only soundtrack until OGG support was introduced in STK0.4. As of STK0.3, the above tracks' soundtrack associations were not changed and the following associations were added for the newer tracks:

TuxKart: Track 2 (tk2.mod):
  • Around the Lighthouse

TuxKart: Track 5a (tk5a.mod):
  • Little Volcano [became Crescent Crossing]
  • Race Track [not the stadium, its predecessor]
  • Star Track

Boom Boom Boom (Boom_boom_boom.mod):
  • On the Beach
  • The Island
  • Volcano

Tux-AQFH Recomposed (tuxr.mod):
  • Sub Sea [i.e. Classic Subsea]
While I do not intend to offend, I might offend those who do not know me well, either by accident or due to my occasionally blunt disposition going too far or else not translating well to a text-only medium. I do accept polite explanations of what I am doing wrong, and I do try my best.
HarJIT

Postby ArDanWol » 12 Aug 2015, 13:43

Could you post the properly looping versions of these tracks please? I'd like to test them on existing tracks in-game.
Thanks! :)
ArDanWol

Postby HarJIT » 12 Aug 2015, 17:07

I trust that you don't need me to post Boom Boom Boom.

All are originally from the original TuxKart, composed by Matt Thomas (not me), and available under the GPL.

Edit: Upon rereading, I get the impression that you weren't talking to me... never mind.
HarJIT

Postby ArDanWol » 12 Aug 2015, 18:09

HarJIT {l Wrote}:Edit: Upon rereading, I get the impression that you weren't talking to me... never mind.

Ya ;)
ArDanWol

Postby 0zone0ne » 17 Aug 2015, 06:25

Unfortunately I'm going to have to bring this project to a halt for the time being... Not sure when it'll start again, but it will be at least three weeks. Sorry everyone
0zone0ne

Postby ArDanWol » 17 Aug 2015, 13:18

:(
ArDanWol

Postby Arthur » 17 Aug 2015, 16:20

Life happens, just try to continue once you can. :)
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby HarJIT » 19 Aug 2015, 09:39

ArDanWol {l Wrote}:Could you post the properly looping versions of these tracks please? I'd like to test them on existing tracks in-game.
Thanks! :)

I have derived properly looping versions for the following, via Audacity, for precisely the reasons you state and I suppose I might as well post it here:
Attachments
ravenbridge.ogg
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 256 times
motoring.ogg
(1.62 MiB) Downloaded 259 times
fortress_stkr.ogg
(1.48 MiB) Downloaded 268 times
HarJIT