A few problem (bug reporting)

A few problem (bug reporting)

Postby audreyevgeny » 23 Jul 2014, 01:16

hello, I am quite new here and I don't realy post a lot, but I was playing thegame recently and was having a very hard time in supertux difficulty, the computers are not forgiving, even at expert, they are hard, I am happy with most of the add-on, but I never tried the arena right now, I wish I could have, but I am alone,

Hoverer I doubt there is more problem then I have, I have problem with 3 tracks.

First, Kingdom of fire, in that one, all CPU end up lost under the track and my cart always get stuck in the end of the track, with no way out, I may uninstall it too.

then there is what a mess, well, this track is a mess, not because is not pretty, because I did not even saw it, when I select it, the game crash before starting the race, So I uninstalled it, I can't do anything with it.

Finally, there is nostalgia, well made map, bug buggy in the dark part, I use linux mint 17, but, may also be my graphic card.

Edit I just tried Minecraft and man, that do not work at all.

the others map have some hard detours like the village, but they are not unlayable, although I did miss a crucial turn twince and lost my race.. :(, i can live with that...

well, this is all my complains, thank for reading.
audreyevgeny

Re: A few problem (bug reporting)

Postby Anon » 23 Jul 2014, 04:03

Hi, I'm the maker of the Nostalgia track.

The lag you experienced is an issue that I know about. It's caused by the extremely inefficient way in which I created the black fog. In the next version of the track, I should be able to fix it, or at least improve it by a considerable amount.

As for the other tracks, since almost all of the addons are made and uploaded by players, it's unlikely that there will be any action taken from the development team to fix any issues with them.

EDIT: Can you specify what GPU you have and what FPS you get in Nostalgia? It would give me a target increase in FPS to aim for.
Last edited by Anon on 23 Jul 2014, 04:27, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Postby Arthur » 23 Jul 2014, 04:24

Well you are in luck today because I'm the author of What a mesh, although it was my first attempt at a track and I didn't care to spend much time on it and I haven't really updated it since. Last I checked it worked, however if anyone could confirm it's broken (other than gameplay wise, I realize that), I might just remove it completely since it's really not any fun to play anymore.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Anon » 23 Jul 2014, 04:33

I just tested What a mesh and started in the air. I think that since version 0.8.1, this will cause a crash for anyone who doesn't have artist debug mode enabled. Same thing with starting on an untextured face. This bug also made the Circle of Friends arena unplayable.

Please don't remove it though. It's a track that's completely unique in its gameplay. Maybe that's for a good reason, but I actually found the challenging gameplay a bit refreshing.
Anon

Postby audreyevgeny » 23 Jul 2014, 05:06

Anon {l Wrote}:Hi, I'm the maker of the Nostalgia track.

The lag you experienced is an issue that I know about. It's caused by the extremely inefficient way in which I created the black fog. In the next version of the track, I should be able to fix it, or at least improve it by a considerable amount.

As for the other tracks, since almost all of the addons are made and uploaded by players, it's unlikely that there will be any action taken from the development team to fix any issues with them.

EDIT: Can you specify what GPU you have and what FPS you get in Nostalgia? It would give me a target increase in FPS to aim for.

no, I did not pay that much attention, but yeah, it make sense, I had slowdown in other games, due to the same effect. and it is normal, I quite like the concept.
audreyevgeny

Postby hiker » 23 Jul 2014, 06:28

Hi,

As Anon has already written, we can't support addon tracks. With some luck the designer might read your message and do something about it.

The good news is that we hope to have some bug reporting features for addons in the future plus to give designers a chance to fix their tracks. This is a GSoC project, see our blog for current status: http://supertuxkart.blogspot.com.au/201 ... ddons.html

The next release will also support voting for addons in game as well, which will hopefully avoid disappointment by players,

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Arthur » 25 Jul 2014, 03:01

Anon {l Wrote}:Please don't remove it though. It's a track that's completely unique in its gameplay. Maybe that's for a good reason, but I actually found the challenging gameplay a bit refreshing.

Okay, you convinced me; I am fixing the track. ;)
Though I am widening the road as well since with AI it's almost impossible to even pass them since nowadays they don't merely drive in the middle of the road all the time, as they used to. I made the track so narrow by mistake, but decided to keep it that way as a protest against the notion that tracks needed to be wider. However, since the AI improved so much I do agree that there needs to be more room than it used to.

Maybe I'll finally add some trees as well...
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby Arthur » 27 Jul 2014, 02:07

Okay, I tried uploading a new, fixed revision of What a mesh, though I got this from the addons website:
Some images in this add-on do not have dimensions that are a power of two. This may cause display errors on some video cards.
You uploaded a track with version 6 of the track format.
This new format is not yet supported by stkaddons. The stkaddons developer is working on distributing add-ons in a sort of "main package/dependency" manner to save internet bandwidth for users by sharing resources. The developer is using the format change to ensure STK 0.7.x can still access their own addons without disruption.
Thank you for your patience. The developer hopes to have this finished before any "beta" versions of STK 0.8 are released.

So not sure when it will eventually be available.
Arthur

Postby Anon » 27 Jul 2014, 02:24

I think "version 6 of the track format" means that the track files were made with export scripts from a recent svn.

If so, then it might work if you use the scripts for Supertuxkart 0.8.1.
http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Installing_the_tools_2#Getting_the_scripts
Anon

Postby Arthur » 28 Jul 2014, 02:31

Yeah you're right, I used 0.8.1 scripts now and that uploaded but instead I got another error:
Failed to update the name record for this add-on.

(Also STK 0.8 is old now... I'm sure Stephen must have meant 0.9 or so ;) )
Arthur

Postby Anon » 28 Jul 2014, 03:18

I got that same error when I tried to update my track, but wasn't sure if it had failed because it also said my addon was uploaded successfully.
Anon

Postby Arthur » 28 Jul 2014, 03:31

New revision is up now, please confirm that it works like it should (changes: made the track wider, fixed drivelines, added some trees).
Arthur

Postby sj04736 » 28 Jul 2014, 03:35

@Arthur: I have removed the check prohibiting "version 6" tracks from addons. I had some plans of adding package dependencies to fix the problem of addons being way too big to upload in a reasonable time, but never got around to it. Maybe next version :)

Anon's issue should be fixed too.

Stephen
Stephen
Role: STK-Addons Developer

sj04736

Postby Arthur » 28 Jul 2014, 03:38

Ah ok, well it's better this way anyway since it works with 0.8.1 and the git version as well. :)
Arthur

Postby Anon » 28 Jul 2014, 04:06

Arthur {l Wrote}:New revision is up now, please confirm that it works like it should (changes: made the track wider, fixed drivelines, added some trees).

I just tested the track, and mostly everything seems to be in order.

However, the entire track feels as if it's slanted outwards slightly.

EDIT:
I've also posted the new revision of Nostalgia.
It should increase framerates by around three times, fixing most of the lag problem.
Anon