Input devices are getting lost on passthrough by steam link

Input devices are getting lost on passthrough by steam link

Postby ydor » 23 Dec 2016, 00:17

I have no idea whether this has been brought up in the past, but apparently STK doesn't recognize input devices when passed through a steam link to the system.
While it works flawlessly on countless other games, STK only recognizes gamepads when plugged in locally at the pc, then it works like a charm. As soon as the gamepad is plugged into the steam link, STK doesn't recognize a gamepad being used and the pad can't be used ingame.

Using the Steam Controller it's possible to use mouse+keyboard layout to get some controls to the game, but the sensitivity is horrid as always when using keyboard controls in a racing game, and my kids would like to use the xbox controllers, but so far all attempts to make this thing work have been foiled.

Maybe someone brighter than me can figure out a solution, as it's at least somewhat likely for the popularity of the steam link hardware to increase some more in future (Gaming on a 65" HDR TV is really kickass).

Have a great and happy xmas, everyone!
ydor

Re: Input devices are getting lost on passthrough by steam l

Postby QwertyChouskie » 25 Dec 2016, 01:26

Windows, OSX, or Linux?
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby ydor » 27 Dec 2016, 11:36

Ah sorry, Linux mint 18.1.

I keep forgetting there are still people using Windows :).
ydor

Postby Auria » 02 Jan 2017, 02:46

Hi, unfortunately I do now own that hardware. We would need a developer with that hardware to take a look into it. Generally speaking though, we just use the list of gamepads provided by the OS, so if it's seen by the OS then STK should just see it
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby QwertyChouskie » 02 Jan 2017, 04:57

You could try using MoltenGamepad (https://github.com/jgeumlek/MoltenGamepad), it works great for using a Wiimote -TR on my Linux system with STK.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby ydor » 02 Jan 2017, 12:25

I'll take a look at moltengamepad, but as the gamepads work when plugged in locally at the PC a translator normally shouldn't be necessary.

Other games and the system recognize the gamepad inputs forwarded by the steam link, even non-steam games and even using WINE like skyrim can be played over steam link using the controller, so my guess was the problem being in STK, but I'll try some more and even look into moltengamepad.
ydor