SuperTuxKart website (things missing)

SuperTuxKart website (things missing)

Postby samuncle » 10 Oct 2016, 14:09

Hi everyone

Our website is better now and a lot of the documentation has been rewritten. Kudos to all people involved :). However, I want to point out: I worked quite a lot of time to create a better and easiest website for dev and users. I'm quite sad to see a few of my modifications where lost and or edited/modified. While I understand that a wiki isn't static and should be modified there are quite some modifications which I don't agree. I think it's better to discuss here because I wasn't sure what were the reasons

1) We lost the How to Build page which is important for all developers who want to join us. I created a rough draft here: https://supertuxkart.net/Build_SuperTuxKart

2) The download page is strange. While previously the green bar was filling the whole space, now it is only going to the middle: https://supertuxkart.net/Download
I personally think that visually it's not very beautiful

3) I especially removed the index in the faq and put Show/Hide sections, which is IMHO better because you can read all the questions and easily toggle the answer to see which one is interesting. Now everything is gone and it's extremely difficult to check what is what: https://supertuxkart.net/FAQ

While I appreciate the dedicated and hardwork some people have put into the website I would like to know what happen to these cases in particular.

Sam
samuncle
STK Moderator

Re: SuperTuxKart website (things missing)

Postby MTres19 » 10 Oct 2016, 16:05

1) As I mentioned in my Hangouts message, konstin moved building documentation to the code repository on GitHub.

2) The green bars still take up the full width in mobile mode, but I agree something needs to be fixed on the desktop.

3) Konstin did that deliberately, according to the logs. No idea why, I think the collapsibles were better.
MTres19

Postby MTres19 » 10 Oct 2016, 16:16

The problem with the download page is built into the mw-ui-button CSS class.
MTres19

Postby jymis » 10 Oct 2016, 17:25

2) By my side it's like this:
is it what you dislike ? because currently it's not shocking me. Wider green would be like invasive to the eye, nope ?

3) Err, currently i have no show/hide (or expand/collapse as your prefer), all text is visible and i can't hide it. Btw can the text be hidden by default ? That seems logical to me: expand just what you want instead of hide all what disturb you. I say that but maybe it's obvious for everybody or it's hidden by default ^^'
jymis

Postby konstin » 10 Oct 2016, 23:40

1) The build instructions were moved to the readme in https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/pull/2611. The reason why this information should be in the git repository and not in the wiki is that the readme should tell you how to set up the project and because the readme is version controlled together with the code. If we e.g. decided to change the build system for version 1.0 and had the instructions only in the wiki, one would not know how to build version 0.9.2 anymore. FYI I explain such important changes in the mediawiki message, so you can easily find them in the logs.

2) I'd ask the author of the initial redesign to fix that, assuming he reads this thread. I prefer my initial design, but the current version is imho also a good one.

3) Removing show/hide was a deliberate decision as being required to click every single paragraph open creates a bad UX. The FAQ should be concise enough enough to not require hiding uninteresting parts. It might though be a good idea to add a table of contents.
konstin

Postby Auria » 10 Oct 2016, 23:55

I agree with moving the build instructions to github, however the website should probably provide at least a link (I've added it)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby andrewj » 11 Oct 2016, 04:03

(if you don't mind an outsider chiming in......)

konstin {l Wrote}:3) Removing show/hide was a deliberate decision as being required to click every single paragraph open creates a bad UX. The FAQ should be concise enough enough to not require hiding uninteresting parts.

I totally agree here, I would find it annoying to have to click each question to see the answer.

Also, I think a table of contents is not really necessary when you only have a few questions. If the FAQ grew much bigger, say more than 15 or 20 questions, then a table of contents becomes more compelling.

One thing I would change in the FAQ is that it's not obvious where one question ends and another begins. I think it needs a <hr> or extra vertical space between questions.
andrewj

Postby GunChleoc » 11 Oct 2016, 13:00

Not hiding has the added advantage that users can hit Ctrl-F and use their browser's search function to look for keywords on the page.
GunChleoc

Postby jymis » 11 Oct 2016, 16:01

I've thought that some people doesn't know Ctrl-f but that's true that kind of people wh owants to contribute may know that research shortcut, so indeed we can keep the text without hidding it, and a table of contents is negligible (or you cant put at the end, and a link to it at the top, as we did for GGP website).
jymis

Postby CinusMinus » 16 Oct 2016, 21:10

How about defaulting to hidden FAQ and adding an expand all button? That would solve the issue of having to click every single question but would also allow to hide them.
CinusMinus

Postby MTres19 » 16 Oct 2016, 21:45

CinusMinus {l Wrote}:How about defaulting to hidden FAQ and adding an expand all button? That would solve the issue of having to click every single question but would also allow to hide them.

Good idea. I can work on that if I have time. I've asked a friend of mine who knows JavaScript better than me.
MTres19