Missing or out-of-date .blends in the media repo

Missing or out-of-date .blends in the media repo

Postby MTres19 » 05 Aug 2016, 21:01

I've noticed while looking at the .blends of the tracks in the media repository that many of them are not finished. For example, the source .blend of Gran Paradiso Island is missing all the ferns in the rocks, and the source of Cocoa Temple has almost no palm trees.

It also seems that not all of the library objects are in all the repositories. I ran a file comparison on the objects and made a list:

Library objects in stk-assets but not in media repository:

- stklib_conifer_a
- stklib_olmec_a
- stklib_pumpkin_a_mesh (not sure if this is wanted anyway—there's no texture in that folder)
- stklib_quetzalcoatl_a

Library objects in media repository but not in stk-assets:

- stklib_barrier
- stklib_paperAsiaLamp_a
- stklib_usSignMerge_a
- stklib_wilbertCam_a

Also, stklib_bambooTorch_a exists in both the lamps and buildings folder in the media repo, but the one in buildings is just a solid cylinder.

This is very disappointing, since I rely on the .blends of the tracks to make sense of a lot of the track-making things that aren't documented, and other track makers have to be able to rely on things in the media repository being visible in-game.
Last edited by MTres19 on 06 Aug 2016, 14:35, edited 1 time in total.
MTres19

Re: Missing or out-of-date .blends in the media repo

Postby GunChleoc » 06 Aug 2016, 14:06

Thanks for working on the documentation and tracking things down :)
GunChleoc

Postby MTres19 » 06 Aug 2016, 14:43

I hope it's helpful to other track makers. (I put my track-making project on hold for this since I'm better at writing than artwork.) Hopefully it won't require as much maintenance as before since I think most of the major changes made in STK 0.7, 0.8, and 0.9 are done and hopefully there won't be too many new major changes. I think that was part of the reason why the Track Maker's Guide got so disorganized—people never had the time to completely rewrite it for each version, so things kept being removed without much information about new features being added.
MTres19

Postby hiker » 08 Aug 2016, 01:02

Hi,
MTres19 {l Wrote}:I
This is very disappointing, since I rely on the .blends of the tracks to make sense of a lot of the track-making things that aren't documented, and other track makers have to be able to rely on things in the media repository being visible in-game.

we have various ticket to cleanup the media repo, e.g. https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/issues/1525 and https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/issues/1890, which I just re-opened, since imho it was incorrectly closed.

But of course the main problem is a matter of time, and samuncle appears not to have much atm :(

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker