SuperTuxKart.net our new home !

SuperTuxKart.net our new home !

Postby samuncle » 22 Jun 2016, 04:13

A few months ago it was decided to create a new website for SuperTuxKart. While the old theme wasn't bad, it could clearly be improved especially regarding the fact that today most of the people use a smartphone to surf on the web.

Konstin and me where in charge of the project and I designed a new theme for media wiki that would be elegant, remind the previous theme and make things more clear (hopefully :P).

So we are ready to show you our work and we hope you will enjoy the new theme. The website is accessible on http://supertuxkart.net. We will also utilize this URL in the future because since we own the domain it's a bit sad to not use it.

As always you are welcome to test it and report bugs and your suggestions about the new website.
It's normal that some content is missing and hopefully it will be soon completed. All pages should adapt themselves to your screen resolution.

The old website will be avaliable for a moment and then disabled and become part of our history :).

Thank you everyone who helped in this project and Tom Jenkins who created the previous website which inspired this one.

Sam
samuncle
STK Moderator

Re: SuperTuxKart.net our new home !

Postby MTres19 » 22 Jun 2016, 06:30

Looks great! I haven't had a chance to see the desktop site yet, but no doubt it's great too.

By the way, I could very tentatively offer to help with the new track making tutorial. I'm currently working on my own track, (and I ported Subterranean Cave, a.k.a. Lost Chasm) so I'm not completely clueless. ;)
MTres19

Postby deve » 22 Jun 2016, 09:38

Hi Sam,

I noticed few minor issues on download page:
- The "expand" buttons are barely visible and you even don't know that you can download other versions because the click on "windows", "linux" etc starts downloading.
- When you expand "windows" or "mac osx", you see "Full game (.exe) 32-bit & 64-bit", but there is no possibility to download it. You still need to click "windows" header and not the item on list.
- The link for Debian repositories should be changed to Jessie-Backports.
- The WinXP package is not available anymore. It's IMO still usefull for some exotic configurations, such as Win7 SP0, Win Vista (there are some problems with installing VS2015 redistributable package), WINE, React OS etc. And still it has about 4000 downloads on sourceforge. Compared to OSX which has ~6000 downloads, it is quite similar number.

But finally it looks well on my phone :)
deve

Postby Knitter » 22 Jun 2016, 10:39

Looks quite nice.

The cog icon, for the tools menu, could use visual feedback when the mouse hovers it, but the rest works very well.
Knitter

Postby Lyberta » 22 Jun 2016, 15:13

It strangely lags a lot in Firefox ESR in Debian Testing.
Lyberta

Postby samuncle » 22 Jun 2016, 15:29

Thanks for your feedback I will add visual feedback and for the lag issue is it only on our website? If you disable javascript is it better?

MTres19 {l Wrote}:Looks great! I haven't had a chance to see the desktop site yet, but no doubt it's great too.

By the way, I could very tentatively offer to help with the new track making tutorial. I'm currently working on my own track, (and I ported Subterranean Cave, a.k.a. Lost Chasm) so I'm not completely clueless. ;)

Would it be possible to contact me?

I'm the lead artist of supertuxkart and I would like to collaborate with you especially regarding how to make the tutorial better

Thanks Sam
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby tux_peng » 23 Jun 2016, 19:24

Looks good. A bit cleaner.

FYI-- for quite a while I've had mirrrors of the Git https://notabug.org/tux_peng
If you would like info about my STK servers, http://playstk.net
Superposition 720p Low Desktop 15031 | Laptop 7484
glmark2 Score: 9272
tux_peng

Postby XGhost » 25 Jun 2016, 00:49

The new website looks nice and well done.
What happens now to the sourceforge website? Maybe just forwarding to supertuxkart.net?
XGhost

Postby samuncle » 26 Jun 2016, 00:17

XGhost {l Wrote}:The new website looks nice and well done.
What happens now to the sourceforge website? Maybe just forwarding to supertuxkart.net?

yes it will be done in a few days. maybe today maybe tomorrow :).

The old website will be accessible for some time but under a different URL, in case something is missing in the new one.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby Cyberpangolin » 28 Jun 2016, 21:21

Looks really nice, good job :D
Cyberpangolin

Postby QwertyChouskie » 29 Jun 2016, 15:15

Looks great, but one big problem: when you click on a link that hasn't been updated for the new domain name (which are most links across the web), e.g. http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Download, it redirects to the main page of the new site, instead of the specific page.
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby QwertyChouskie » 29 Jun 2016, 15:59

FaTony {l Wrote}:It strangely lags a lot in Firefox ESR in Debian Testing.

Is it just me, or does that seem like an oxymoron?
Contributor to/fan of STK (Upstreamed Cartoon theme, numerous random big fixes/tweaks)
QwertyChouskie

Postby onpon4 » 29 Jun 2016, 20:33

QwertyChouskie {l Wrote}:
FaTony {l Wrote}:It strangely lags a lot in Firefox ESR in Debian Testing.

Is it just me, or does that seem like an oxymoron?

No, not at all. Debian Testing eventually becomes the stable release, and Debian prefers ESR versions of Firefox. If a non-ESR Firefox was used in Testing, the package would have to be downgraded when it became stable, an unreasonable breakage (note: it would prevent people from getting Firefox security updates).
onpon4

Postby ArDanWol » 01 Jul 2016, 13:53

Like it.
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby Arthur » 01 Jul 2016, 23:01

Sorry, I recently made the blog use blog.supertuxkart.net since I think using our domain convention is a bit neater. However I originally didn't change the redirect going from stkblog to blogspot, and while it worked on my end I guess some caching issues made the double redirect fail for some people. I have now changed the stkblog address to redirect directly to blog.supertuxkart.net and that ought to resolve those issues.
Later I want to retire the stkblog domain, it was just a shorter and easier URL than supertuxkart.blogspot.com and I think blog.supertuxkart.net is easy enough to remember that stopping paying for an extra domain is reasonable.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby sst » 03 Jul 2016, 00:54

Did i can made the French version, of the new WebSite.
i help on the old website, to made some pages in French.
(sst)
sst

Postby Auria » 03 Jul 2016, 02:38

sst {l Wrote}:Did i can made the French version, of the new WebSite.
i help on the old website, to made some pages in French.

At the moment the new website is not an "open wiki" like the old one use it. Maybe we will create a new "community wiki" for user contributions, stay tuned for that, but we don't have this atm sorry
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby MTres19 » 03 Jul 2016, 02:50

Auria {l Wrote}:At the moment the new website is not an "open wiki" like the old one use it. Maybe we will create a new "community wiki" for user contributions, stay tuned for that, but we don't have this atm sorry

I'm working with samuncle on some updates to the tutorials here, and he said he liked the idea of using GitHub. Perhaps something could be set up so that the pages could be managed on GitHub and automatically be pushed to the wiki. We were actually discussing it in issue #5 and I came across this, which sounded interesting.
MTres19

Postby Arthur » 03 Jul 2016, 18:07

Why use GitHub for the wiki? MediaWiki has history revisions as well, and adding GitHub into the mix would complicate things, in my mind unnecessarily.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby MTres19 » 03 Jul 2016, 20:48

Arthur {l Wrote}:Why use GitHub for the wiki? MediaWiki has history revisions as well, and adding GitHub into the mix would complicate things, in my mind unnecessarily.

Mainly so that it could be editable by the community without looking too much like a wiki, and there's more management options than MediaWiki provides, like bug tracking and pull requests.
MTres19

Postby Auria » 05 Jul 2016, 00:22

In any case, I think the main idea is that the community-maintained wiki should be somewhat separate from the main, official, website. In the past they kind of got conflated and in the end the official website was a bit of a mess. So no matter which engine we use, I'd like a clear separation between official content and community-maintained pages
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby konstin » 05 Jul 2016, 23:48

In any case, I think the main idea is that the community-maintained wiki should be somewhat separate from the main, official, website. In the past they kind of got conflated and in the end the official website was a bit of a mess. So no matter which engine we use, I'd like a clear separation between official content and community-maintained pages

The main reason why I disabled public user creation were the many registrations of accounts never used in the old wiki. The quality of user contributions was never an issue as anyone who made significant contributions was well known in the community and had admin access anyway. Surely, the old wiki was a big mess, but that was because no one really cared about maintaining it for years. So when I started cleaning things up I had to e.g. remove an FAQ entry referring to a bug closed over 6 years ago. This is also why the website ran on an outdated and insecure mediawiki version for so many years.

I can't really see what content a community wiki would have. The only two kinds of content I can imagine are those that should be collected in the official wiki and those that should be on private pages. Therefore, I'm suggesting an altered version of the current de-facto policy: Everyone well known to the community who wants to contribute to the wiki simply asks and eventually gets an account with admin rights.

As my main focus has shifted to different projects, it would also to be important to have a maintainer for the wiki as currently I'm the one having all the passwords for the server and admin access to the wiki skin repository, which is kind of weird as don't even have write access to the main code repository.

Did i can made the French version, of the new WebSite.
i help on the old website, to made some pages in French

I really appreciate the work you did translating, but tbh it's not worth investing time for the edge case where french main wiki pages are useful. That is why the current setup doesn't support internationalization.

I'm working with samuncle on some updates to the tutorials here, and he said he liked the idea of using GitHub. Perhaps something could be set up so that the pages could be managed on GitHub and automatically be pushed to the wiki. We were actually discussing it in issue #5 and I came across this, which sounded interesting.

Using github works great if you're used to github. But the problem is it excludes non-programmers. The Open Knwoledge Foundation Germany runs a central site (http://codefor.de) that has to be edited by many people using github and jekyll and the only thing I hear is people complaining that editing is cumbersome to awful. Though, the sources of all wiki pages should be mirrored to github as an easy access and backup solution. I did this partially in the repository of the skin, but this should be automatized.

It would also be reasonable to move the wiki skin repository into the supertuxkart team on github. Due to github policies, either I need admin access in the supertuxkart team (which is unlike to happen), or I can move the skin to an admin and then he/she can move it into the team. Any admin here willing to do that?
konstin

Postby MTres19 » 06 Jul 2016, 02:41

I'm not really sure what the best solution is. Maybe just ask people who want to contribute to post on the forum. Hopefully that would stop people from opening needless accounts.
MTres19

Postby QwertyChouskie » 07 Jul 2016, 00:44

I love the new site, but also have noticed many small thing that need to be fixed/tweaked, e.g. grammar issues. I would be happy to contribute fixes, but for that to work there would need to be some sort of system for contributions.
QwertyChouskie

Postby CryHam » 11 Jul 2016, 08:11

I had a quick look.
Noticed one spelling bug (p not b), in then propably something is wrong with your compiler setup. Would be best to just use spellcheck for all.
The link to coding style guide is broken https://google-styleguide.googlecode.co ... pguide.xml.
I believe Intel Core I7 or I5 is typed i7 or i5.
Otherwise site looks good. I find the gray, black, green text and background colors a bit dull for a game, but whatever probably easier on the eyes.

BTW woah, what happened to requirements? You have them now higher than StuntRally. And I don't even want to compare both, since I would get a range overflow exception :lol:. The new tracks look great though. But yeah I see that you have adopted to the 1 min 30 game video trailers crap all games do, that are just commercials (and put even a commercial in it).

Bit sad that you moved out of tuxfamily, isn't it? I can't find a project more related to it. Yeah there is a reason to keep url short (why not just stk.org then?) but I don't see this as a reason to pay for a domain or not support tuxfamily. You'll surely find people who still can't type your new url or don't know even where to put it.
Just my opinion OFC.
CryHam
SR Moderator