Cannot find a track in version 0.9.1

Cannot find a track in version 0.9.1

Postby bashar » 21 May 2016, 19:17

Hello,

I just upgraded to Ubuntu 16.04 and STK 0.9.1 but a track I loved in the old 0.8 version is not present.

I think is called Temple, it is the one from the link below at time 1.14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwSXCrNjTm4&feature=youtu.be&t=73

THX
bashar

Re: Cannot find a track in version 0.9.1

Postby MTres19 » 23 May 2016, 00:39

Amazonian Journey, perhaps? In SuperTuxKart 0.9 and later, it's been replaced by Cocoa Temple, but it's now available as an addon, which you can download in-game. (http://addons.supertuxkart.net/addons.php?type=tracks&name=amazonian-journey)
MTres19

Postby 0zone0ne » 23 May 2016, 05:10

The track at 1:14 in the video is Amazonian Journey. As MTres19 has said, it's now an add-on track.
0zone0ne

Postby bashar » 23 May 2016, 09:39

Thx, that's it, Amazonian Journey.

Installed the addon and works perfect.

Have a nice day!
bashar

Postby tux_peng » 25 May 2016, 21:25

We could really use an updated icetrack too
If you would like info about my STK servers, http://playstk.net
Superposition 720p Low Desktop 15031 | Laptop 7484
glmark2 Score: 9272
tux_peng

Postby MTres19 » 26 May 2016, 00:54

Updated Snow Peak or updated Northern Resort? I didn't think either were so bad, really, especially Northern Resort. (I suspect that Shiny Suburbs might be being replaced with that track that was in the 0.9.1 trailer, though.)
MTres19

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 26 May 2016, 02:05

I would like to see Icetrack again, too. Snow Peak and Northern Resort are old, but the second looks much more beautiful due to the lights and shadows.

I have a complete plan for a new Shiny Suburbs which I could finish with a few objects like buildings, a mall, buses and other things on my personal style and this wouldn't take much time to do since the terrain (the ground and hill) as well the track itself is already there, but I will not start this project until I know if samuncle or other artist plan to remake this track. I have another 8 projects to finish if there's inrterest by the side of the fans and developers.
"Making cool harmless games makes the world a better place".
GeekPenguinBR

Postby Arthur » 26 May 2016, 09:25

Just to throw my opinion in there regarding a possible successor to Shiny Suburbs: at least the road should be completely redone and be made wider, less steep and shorter.
Oh and maybe a less corny name (even though I suggested that alliteration myself). ;)

Guess we're getting a bit off-topic for this thread though?
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby tux_peng » 30 May 2016, 03:31

MTres19 {l Wrote}:Updated Snow Peak or updated Northern Resort? I didn't think either were so bad, really, especially Northern Resort. (I suspect that Shiny Suburbs might be being replaced with that track that was in the 0.9.1 trailer, though.)

http://stkaddons.net/tracks/on-an-iceberg

I don't think they have the *.blend though
If you would like info about my STK servers, http://playstk.net
Superposition 720p Low Desktop 15031 | Laptop 7484
glmark2 Score: 9272
tux_peng

Postby kmph » 07 Jun 2016, 00:04

Arthur {l Wrote}:Just to throw my opinion in there regarding a possible successor to Shiny Suburbs: at least the road should be completely redone and be made wider, less steep and shorter.

Please don't.

Well, you will do whatever you want, but...

Perhaps a feedback from a player could be welcome?

To me, Shiny Suburbs was one of the best tracks in the game. Much thanks to its narroness, steepness, and length.

You made a fun, fast, yet challenging and difficult track --> meaning a superb one.

If you redo it this way, make it less steep and wider, you'll make it less challenging -> more boring and less fun. If you make it shorter, you'll make it less fun as well. Fast and long tracks are really fun.

From my perspective, you're going to rob this track exactly of what makes it so good.
kmph

Postby Arthur » 07 Jun 2016, 13:24

Short version of my argument: Perhaps you and other hard-core players prefer those kinds of tracks. However, most people probably don't want that, as you need room for those who are not as good at playing the game. Narrow tracks can be fun indeed, but those should rather be addon downloads for skilled players to get themselves for that extra challenge.

Longer argument: About the track itself, it's very hard to overtake other karts in the steeper section, as the curves make you jump if you try to take the inner section of them (and you risk even jumping over the fence). There is not even enough room to skid comfortably in, though you might be able to skid in the last couple curves going downhill. The wider part at the end is much better in that regard.

The steepness itself can be a problem for physics, at least it used to. The steering might become stronger to the point of oversteering, and the chassis might bump into the track itself due to the suspension getting too compressed. Again, that used to be more of an issue previously, but driving in reverse might cause unexpected (to the artist) issues with steep hills.

Lastly, length does have more leeway in general. But for new tracks that go in the main game we prefer about 45 sec to a minute and a half per lap. That way it's quicker for people to learn a track, and it's not an endurance race (you can increase amount of laps for that). At the same time the track is quicker to make, needs less objects to fill it with, and the artist can spend time making it high quality. Long tracks need more playtesting to make sure every section is good, and you risk having more empty or sparse sections.

Again, all this does not mean there's not room for the current Shiny Suburbs track or similar; however they fit better as addons that experienced players can seek out for themselves rather than a "mandatory" track you need to get through to complete challenges. Remember kids also play the game, and while we don't want toddler-level tracks the goal is to make them accessible. An example of a good track when it comes to width, length and general layout is the farm track. It might be a bit easy for expert players since they are good at getting the big nitros, but I think both novice and experienced players can have fun and get a challenge playing it, especially when they select the appropriate difficulty.
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby kmph » 07 Jun 2016, 22:24

Suggestion: Why don't include tracks like Shiny Suburbs as bonus tracks, not mandatory to pass in the main campaign?

I'd rather say that it would be healthy for a game like STK to feature a full difficulty spectrum, ranging from easy tracks to challenging ones. Including extra hard levels as bonuses is a rather well established practise in game industry, isn't it?
kmph

Postby Arthur » 08 Jun 2016, 11:54

File size and maintenance/quality assurance are both things that we need to be mindful of. As addons, the community has the ability to maintain and improve things pretty much irrespective of whether it's in the game or not as long as a few simple rules (mostly about licensing) are followed.The main game should try to have a variety of track difficulties, however tracks that are simply difficult due to the road and terrain itself are not the kind we like to keep. However I'd argue there are still tracks that keep this aspect around, for example the mine track and the XR591 "martian" track. Although we did spend some time in previous releases to make those two less bumpy so you don't lose control in curves, they have largely kept their roads while graphics has been improved or tweaked.
Arthur

Postby samuncle » 12 Jun 2016, 15:33

Hi I'm the lead artist of supertuxkart

I answered here viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6995&p=69298#p69298
Because topics where similar
samuncle
STK Moderator