Maybe change the intro music

Maybe change the intro music

Postby scootergrisen » 25 Mar 2016, 16:50

When i start STK i have several times found the audio level way to high and the music to be to "hard".
It may be that i have bad control over my volume control but maybe it would still be better to have a more soft/mellow intro music that starts slowing and it not so loud and hard on the ears.

Like the sound of the waves at the beach or some birds or what ever could be fun.
scootergrisen

Re: Maybe change the intro music

Postby zequinha » 28 Mar 2016, 11:24

Totally agree! Even better than birds would be having Bieber or Perry as our intro
zequinha

Postby ArDanWol » 28 Mar 2016, 15:36

I like the current intro music a lot. I actually have it set as my phone ringtone. It can be a bit overwhelming for people if your volume is set very high. Maybe a solution would be to turn the default volume level down.
scootergrisen {l Wrote}:It may be that i have bad control over my volume control but maybe it would still be better to have a more soft/mellow intro music that starts slowing and it not so loud and hard on the ears.
Like the sound of the waves at the beach or some birds or what ever could be fun.

What you're describing reminds me of this track by 0zone0ne, our head composer: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6myiezb0djbi0o7/Overworld%20%280.9%29.mp3?dl=0 It's the challenge selection world music.
zequinha {l Wrote}:Totally agree! Even better than birds would be having Bieber or Perry as our intro

Ah, no. Not only do I hate both of those artists, but there is no way we could have their music in SuperTuxKart legally due to copyrights. Not to mention that those artists don't really fit with the theme of SuperTuxKart. Anything we include in SuperTuxKart has to be under a open license, see here: http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Licensing

Edit: It is possible to change the menu music to any track you want as long as it's in .ogg format. You need to copy the music you want to the music folder in supertuxkart data and edit the file main_theme.music. That file is also in the supertuxkart music folder. Simply open main_theme.music in a text editor like notepad, gedit, or kate, and change the file= line to the name of the music file you want. You can also change the volume of a specific track by adding or changing the line gain="1.0" and changing the number in front of gain=. A lower number is lower volume and a higher number is higher volume.
The SuperTuxKart music folder is in /usr/share/games/supertuxkart/data/music/ on Ubuntu and it's probably in C:\Program Files\supertuxkart\data\music\ on Windows. I'm not sure where it is on other operating systems and Linux distros.

Hope this was helpful!
ArDanWol
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby 0zone0ne » 30 Mar 2016, 04:59

zequinha {l Wrote}:Totally agree! Even better than birds would be having Bieber or Perry as our intro

If this isn't a joke, I'm packing up and leaving.
0zone0ne

Postby capricom45 » 31 Mar 2016, 17:03

scootergrisen {l Wrote}:When i start STK i have several times found the audio level way to high and the music to be to "hard".
It may be that i have bad control over my volume control but maybe it would still be better to have a more soft/mellow intro music that starts slowing and it not so loud and hard on the ears.

A melody that starts mellow and builds up louder from there? with a cresendo?

Huh, interesting. anything regarding style?
Socially banned since 2014, a somewhat sleepy musician
capricom45

Postby Auria » 04 Apr 2016, 22:31

Krobonil {l Wrote}:This is a joke xD

But I agree with scootergrisen that we should use a better music for the menu-theme.
Something for more fun.

Hmm I'd need to ask others but I think we really like the menu music as it is, I would not want to change it personnally!
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby XGhost » 05 Apr 2016, 14:07

Auria {l Wrote}:Hmm I'd need to ask others but I think we really like the menu music as it is, I would not want to change it personnally!

+1
XGhost

Postby 0zone0ne » 06 Apr 2016, 08:31

Really, the current title screen music is fine, it sets the correct tone and establishes the game's musical style well. As far as I know, the game is not supposed to be a quiet, relaxing game. If you're just finding the title screen music too loud, turning down your computer's audio volume should fix the problem. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
0zone0ne

Postby aaditya » 13 Apr 2016, 12:00

I like the music in SuperTuxKart too :)
aaditya