Bug or New feature. Better Sky

Bug or New feature. Better Sky

Postby tzimasr » 15 Jan 2016, 10:35

Hi in this stage Mac edition - offline mode - Single player - elephant - expert - normal race - shifting sands i saw the sky with this lines. I don't know this happened because we want. If no i think this is a bug because the sky isn't normal and beautiful and must fix it. if we programmed in this way because it is more convenient then we should improve it. This image reduces the quality of the game because the game looks amateur and this is not true.
Attachments
Στιγμιότυπο 2016-01-12, 18.44.20.png
tzimasr

Re: Bug or New feature. Better Sky

Postby bonifarz » 15 Jan 2016, 11:00

Hi tzimasr

I think this is the first time you reported an actual issue :)

Backgrounds like these typically use a skybox, and it seems something went wrong here. I've seen this problem in most of the tracks, so i guess this is not a problem with the textures, but some small bug in the engine. Usually, it is not quite noticeable, as the camera rarely uses a pitch angle that makes the top or bottom of the skybox visible. Mhm, maybe this has even already been fixed in the development version.

If you have that many "bug" reports, maybe it is a good idea to collect them in a single topic? And hey, don't tell the devs they "must fix it" each time you report something ;)
bonifarz

Postby Akien » 15 Jan 2016, 11:07

bonifarz {l Wrote}:If you have that many "bug" reports, maybe it is a good idea to collect them in a single topic?

I disagree, filing one issue per bug is a very good practice, and as bug triager in other projects I spend a big part of my time telling bug reporters to file more atomic issues, because it's hard to have a good bug fixing workflow with huge lists of issues + wishes + suggestions from end users :)

Now if it's not seen as a good usage of the "STK General" subforum, which would be understandable, I would advise the reporter to file issues on GitHub directly: https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/issues
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby bonifarz » 15 Jan 2016, 11:32

You're right, and I have just checked the issue list before I saw your reply, Akien.
So, this one has already been reported a while ago, https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-code/issues/2128, and according to the comments, it is rather a problem with the art assets than with the engine.
My single-topic suggestion was meant for people who see a lot of problems, but are not sure if those are all really bugs. I fully agree that the issue tracker is the right place to collect bug reports, given that people are sure the thing they want to report is a valid issue :)
bonifarz

Postby Auria » 16 Jan 2016, 03:11

Agreed this track has a poor skybox

This is an old track that needs to be redone, however, so eventually it should be remade better than that
Auria
STK Moderator