My opinion about STK and suggestions

My opinion about STK and suggestions

Postby tux » 07 Jan 2016, 19:40

Hi. I would like write opinion about SuperTuxKart. I was your fan of STK. My favorite version is 0.6.2a. This is the best version of STK. 0.6.2a version have following advantages:

1.Very fast version (also for slow computers)
2.Great music
3.Great challenges which are NOT selected by difficulty

Current version (0.9.1) have following defects:

1.Impossible to run on slow computers
2.I can't understand Graphical Effects Level
3.Challenges have difficulties
4.Bad music
5.Very slow version
6.You don't support Windows XP (in official installer)

I love playing 0.6.2a version. You created the best version of STK (0.6.2a)... but now (0.9) I see a lot of defects. My suggestions:

1.Please return to 0.6.2a version.
2.Create add-ons for 0.6.2a version (karts and tracks)
3.Release new version of 0.6.2a (0.6.3) with new features like add-on download etc.
4.Please return classic challenges (without Story Mode) or add this function
5.Please add to Linux repositories old versions of STK (for example: 0.6.2a - supertuxkart-old)
tux

Re: My opinion about STK and suggestions

Postby Akien » 07 Jan 2016, 19:48

Just download 0.6.2a and play it. Most of us particularly aim for living in the past - but the past is still there for you to grasp, and I'm sure the old 0.6.2a binaries run on WinXP.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 07 Jan 2016, 20:06

Hi!

Speed
Sorry but, no way the old versions were faster. The current one is by far faster than the previous.

Songs
I agree (in part) about the old songs: the songs available now are good, but there was 3 or 4 songs that should be kept in the game, since their composers are developers|contributors until today.

Graphics
Graphics now are WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY better, but this have a price: more memory and more demand of gpu. Unfortunately, not all the old PCs have enough graphic power to run the current version, but I think they need to improve even more the graphics until the game looks like the best commercial kart games. However, I agree that the new tracks could have a 0.8.1 version for everyone who can't play the game with the new (and "heavy") features. Then, we could have two versions of STK on the same website: 1. the current, with all graphic effects and 2. an alternative version (with Story mode and all the modern tracks) for those who can't run the first. The problem is the amount of work to export all the new tracks to the previous version. So, they (the developers) should have another person with enough knowledge and time to upload the new tracks in a less powerfull version, and I can't believe that someone will do this.
Last edited by GeekPenguinBR on 08 Jan 2016, 23:57, edited 5 times in total.
"Making cool harmless games makes the world a better place".
GeekPenguinBR

Postby onpon4 » 07 Jan 2016, 20:08

If you want to see version 0.6 further developed, take the source code to that version and start making the changes you want. SuperTuxKart is libre, after all. The STK development team is obviously going to work on what they want STK to be, and it seems clear that this diverges from what you want.
onpon4

Postby deve » 07 Jan 2016, 21:08

@tux this basically means that you are used to 0.6 version and every minor modification will be wrong for you ;) I know people that have for example nokia 3510 and they say that it is best phone ever and every other phone is bad.

What is the disadventage of having Story Mode? It's because you lose few seconds for driving to the right place?

WinXP is more-or-less supported. The main installer requires Windows Vista and newer, but we also provide the package for XP (without an installer, I was too lazy). You can also easily compile STK for WinXP, even in 64-bit version.

Unfortunately I must agree that our new engine is too demanding :( I know that it's not a problem in US or Germany, but it other countries there is really a lot of people, which have only OpenGL 1.4/2.1 graphics cards with hardware: Pentium 4 + Radeon 9550 or Celeron 1,7 Ghz + intel i965 (gen 4), or at best intel ironlake (gen 5) or nvidia 310m. I know such people personally. And these people have doughters or sons, which would like to play STK, but they can't.

But it has been discussed a lot of times and we can't really support everything (including 15 years old hardware) if we want to make good-looking game.
deve

Postby 0zone0ne » 08 Jan 2016, 00:03

@tux
Can you point out your favourite songs from the old game that aren't in the current game?
0zone0ne

Postby tux » 08 Jan 2016, 10:41

@0zone0ne,

MayDayMayhem
Hip-Hop
Old version of Snowy, Amazon Jungle, Sub Sea
ChillCarrier-Druckverlust
SymphonyNo5
The Dead Rocks - One Million Dollar
The Dead Rocks - Green Secret From Amazonia
Dance Cleopatra
tux

Postby charlie » 08 Jan 2016, 12:42

"Dear unpaid developers, please abandon your hundreds of hours of hard work on STK and do what I want instead."

Nice way to endear yourself to the team. I think you missed the boat in terms of affecting project direction from the 0.6.2 release.

Hey, it's open source, feel free to fork it and improve 0.6.2 yourself. I'm sure you can port some of the add on features with a bit of elbow grease.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Re : Topic - My opinion about STK and suggestions • STK Gene

Postby tux_peng » 09 Jan 2016, 06:36

tux {l Wrote}:2.I can't understand Graphical Effects Level

How is this the developers fault?

Sent from my samsung Samsung Galaxy S5 Using Ez Forum for Android
If you would like info about my STK servers, http://playstk.net
Superposition 720p Low Desktop 15031 | Laptop 7484
glmark2 Score: 9272
tux_peng

Postby tux » 11 Jan 2016, 22:45

@tux_peng

I mean that in STK 0.9.1 is the option "Graphical Level" (1-6, with a lot of custom settings). In 0.6.2 version graphical settings is basic (resolution+full screen).
tux