Graphics Problems After Windows 10 Upgrade

Graphics Problems After Windows 10 Upgrade

Postby MTres19 » 17 Aug 2015, 20:46

I suppose I should begin by posting the specs for the laptop I use for STK.

Model: Toshiba S55T-B5223
CPU: Intel Core i7 4710HQ (64-bit Quad-core with 8 logical processors, 2.5 GHz with "TurboBoost" up to 3.5 GHz)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600
RAM: 16 GB

The laptop came with Windows 8.1 installed, and until I upgraded it to Windows 10, SuperTuxKart 0.9 worked as well as I could ask for without a dedicated graphics processor. After the Windows 10 update, however, STK began crashing as soon as any even slightly 3D-intense procedure started (e.g. Story Mode or a complicated track in Single Player). In fact, "Oliver's Math Class" was one of the few tracks that didn't cause the game to crash on the "Loading..." screen. Here is the window I received upon the game crash:

SuperTuxKart crashed!
Please hit Ctrl+C to copy to clipboard and signal the problem
to the developers on our forum:
forum.freegamedev.net/viewforum.php?f=16

Call stack:

DvrSetLayerPaletteEntries
RegisterProcTableCallback
<no symbol available>
<no symbol available>
<no symbol available>
<no symbol available>
<no symbol available>
asCreateLockableSharedBool
BaseTreadInitThunk
RtlSetCurrentTransaction
RtlSetCurrentTransaction

After one or two graphics driver updates, the crash has become a bit less frequent, but now "Around the Lighthouse" seems to be affected by a strange phenomenon of lightning flashing far to close and causing the entire game to slow to a crawl.

My question is is this a driver problem, or a problem with STK itself?

Should I try reinstalling STK, or perhaps compiling from source? I don't have much experience with compiling, but I might be able to manage.

Thanks,
-Matthew

Postscript: I have not been able to test SuperTuxKart 0.9 on Linux, since another computer with Linux Mint 17.2 and Debian 8.1 has only a Radeon HD 3200 GPU (integrated), which is of course far too weak to run STK 0.9, though 0.8.1 runs fine.
MTres19

Re: Graphics Problems After Windows 10 Upgrade

Postby Auria » 18 Aug 2015, 00:44

Hi,

I tested STK on a Windows 10 machine and everything worked fine for me, so I don't think there is a fundamental issue there. Have you checked if your drivers are using the latest version, and if there exists a Windows 10 driver for your GPU? This is only a guess, but I would guess that your driver hasn't been updated for Windows 10 yet
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby MTres19 » 19 Aug 2015, 19:50

I'm quite sure the driver is for Windows 10, since I updated it soon after the upgrade and I remember that Intel's download page claimed Windows 10 support. However, it seems there's an update available, which I'm downloading right now, so that might fix the problem.
MTres19

Postby MTres19 » 19 Aug 2015, 20:48

The update says it's "not validated." I'll just wait and see on driver updates.
MTres19