Trouble with first custom track

Trouble with first custom track

Postby atkins80 » 21 May 2015, 00:35

Hi, this is my first custom course that I made, I have the track itself, a wall barrier and a grass section on the inside, but am having trouble figuring out the driveline, I get 2 errors when exporting saying main driveline is missing and no drive line, the track is oval shaped since I am doing this as a test course, I use blender 2.74, here is a screenshot of the track.Image
atkins80

Re: Trouble with first custom track

Postby Auria » 21 May 2015, 02:15

Hi,

your question is a little vague, but have you seen http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/New_drivelines ? You need to create an object with the "driveline" type that should where to drive
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby atkins80 » 22 May 2015, 00:34

What I need is some way to export an existing track into Blender to see how everything is constructed, I downloaded a few, but all I saw were the .b3d files.
atkins80

Postby samuncle » 22 May 2015, 03:09

I don't have too much time right now but I suggest you to read this

http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Tra ... %27s_Guide

Everything you need to know about track making is there. Including where are the blend files of the current in game track
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby Auria » 24 May 2015, 01:11

atkins80 {l Wrote}:What I need is some way to export an existing track into Blender to see how everything is constructed, I downloaded a few, but all I saw were the .b3d files.

You may download the blends from the media repository : http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Media_Repo

There are tons of examples in there :) Hope this helps
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby atkins80 » 24 May 2015, 18:37

Thanks I see how the drivelines are made, I have to make a duplicate of the original track path and somehow make it transparent like I seen in the blend files of the ingame tracks.
atkins80

Postby Anon » 25 May 2015, 00:25

You don't have to make them transparent. They only show up as "transparent" (not actually transparent--- "wireframe" would be more accurate) in the official tracks' source files because they're just edges without any faces, but the documentation says that they would also work if they were filled in. Even if they were filled in though, they could still be made "transparent" by limiting their draw type to wireframe. The "transparency" is just how they're rendered in Blender, and has no bearing on how they'll be interpreted by either the exporter or the game.

The first link that Auria posted goes explains how drivelines should be structured. Basically, they should be a long chain of quads (usually w/o faces), with edges extruded from the vertices at one end to denote the start.

In your case, you should be able to do this by duplicating your track object. Then, you can delete the face immediately behind the start/finish line to make the chain non-cyclic. The next thing you need to do to prepare the driveline mesh is extrude the two vertices at the start line. Before exporting, you have to set the "Type" of your driveline object to "Driveline (main)", under "STK Properties" in the Object tab of the Blender properties panel. If this doesn't work, you can try selecting everything in your driveline mesh in edit mode, and pressing [X] to delete "Only Faces".
Anon

Postby atkins80 » 26 May 2015, 01:40

I finally did it, my first custom track, only thing is its textureless and I forgot to activate the checklines for laps, as for the textures I'm baffled, they wouldn't export, here is a screenshot of the track.Image
atkins80

Postby Anon » 26 May 2015, 04:42

Copy your track's textures' image files into the track export directory.
Anon

Postby samuncle » 26 May 2015, 17:17

and be sure to use the texture as mentioned in the documentation. STK uses different materials. Blender and cycle materials aren't supported.
samuncle
STK Moderator