I'm back! (+ some questions)

I'm back! (+ some questions)

Postby tavariz91 » 21 Apr 2015, 19:31

Hi everyone!

First of all, I wish to thank all contributors, the new version of STK is MAGICAL! I really really love it!

As you can see, I'm "back". I had no more time to try to make contributions, and tons of things to do IRL. Its always the case now. I have to deal with 3 jobs (soon; 2 for now), a youtube channel, aso. About the channel, I wish to make a let's play in french, trying (hard) to win he game. Before that, I have some questions:

1) I've noticed what I want to call "texture artifacts". Here is an example, I've added red lines to show what I'm talking about, it's particularly visible on the road, with tons of lines that should not be there.
This happens with shadows fully enabled. Is there a workaround?

2) I've noticed "popping" trees in the Egyptian track.
Is there any way to change the clipping distance, so those trees are already loaded when I see them?

The goal is for sure to show "the best of the best" of STK, visually (as I'm not a so good player :cool: )

config: core i7 4771, 8Go Ram, Nvidia GTx760 with 2Go Vram (proprietary drivers in use), 2560x1440 display, the game is totally smooth (30-40 fps with full settings on ! :D)

I know, the beta stage is over, but it's better late than never :P

Greetings!

Tav' (aka Cyberpangolin now)
"I do not agree with what you say, but I will fight up to death so that you have the right to say it"
- Voltaire
tavariz91

Re: I'm back! (+ some questions)

Postby Auria » 21 Apr 2015, 23:12

Hi,

the lines you notice are an unfortunate artifact that is hard to get rid of, this is due to inaccuracies in floating-point numbers I believe. For the moment we don't have a solution, but improvement at a later point is always a possibility! Also, note that similar artifacts are sometimes spotted in AAA titles ;)

As for the popping, indeed this is a weird case : this palm tree is used in the jungle track (where the is a very high density of trees) and in the desert track (with a very low density of tree). In the jungle, with such a thick vegetation, reducing the level of detail for trees that are far away is mandatory to get good performances; however, in the sparse vegetation of the desert track, it's a lot easier to spot. Maybe in the future we can add options to tweak that
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby tavariz91 » 22 Apr 2015, 14:50

ok, thanks :)
"I do not agree with what you say, but I will fight up to death so that you have the right to say it"
- Voltaire
tavariz91

Postby samuncle » 22 Apr 2015, 18:07

2) I've noticed "popping" trees in the Egyptian track.

As for the popping, indeed this is a weird case : this palm tree is used in the jungle track (where the is a very high density of trees) and in the desert track (with a very low density of tree). In the jungle, with such a thick vegetation, reducing the level of detail for trees that are far away is mandatory to get good performances; however, in the sparse vegetation of the desert track, it's a lot easier to spot. Maybe in the future we can add options to tweak that

So it means I have to add a massive jungle in a desert ? :P
We will probably add more stuff in the track so it looks less obvious. Like houses, papyrus, etc. I don't really want to start to have two similar palm trees that have different lods setting. That would add confusions etc. This track is one of the old one that was just upgraded instead of being replaced by a complete new one.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby tavariz91 » 28 Apr 2015, 21:11

Thanks for this complement.

By the way, my first video about STK is here: http://youtu.be/xtFYITNgwSk
(might come in some minuts, It's currently under processing =p)
please note: It's in french, and i don't want to change my speaking-language for now. My apologies in advance for all non-french-speaking people.
- Voltaire
tavariz91

Postby samuncle » 30 Apr 2015, 00:38

@tavariz I just saw you video :). Well done, I answered in the comment section about some misconception. Please do another one. I also like to see how you react and comment the new tracks.
samuncle
STK Moderator