Could Add mode Grand prix? get new tracks and kart

Could Add mode Grand prix? get new tracks and kart

Postby PauloBrazil » 20 Apr 2015, 15:56

5 different runs with score,
12-19 kars in the Grand Prix(Championship that already exists in the game).
Win Grand Prix open more tracks and karts.

difficulties
easy
standard
hard

could have the story mode and the championship mode
to open new tracks and karts
Last edited by PauloBrazil on 24 Apr 2015, 02:36, edited 2 times in total.
PauloBrazil

Re: Why is not the similar Mario Kart Grand Prix?

Postby Auria » 21 Apr 2015, 02:34

I don't really understand what you mean, SuperTuxKart does contain Grand Prix races
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby Tobbi » 21 Apr 2015, 10:08

This was originally posted in SuperTux. I hope I did the right thing when moving this to SuperTuxKart.
SuperTux developer.
Tobbi
SuperTux Moderator

Postby samuncle » 22 Apr 2015, 00:19

Hi

The game isn't Mario kart, nor a "free MK". If you want to play to MK, well just play to MK. Our goal isn't to copy Mario Kart. That would be useless, since you can simply get the original.

We do have a grand prix and different difficulties. So what's the problem with that ? (I don't want to be offensive :). I'm friendly I just want to understand because your post lack of detail)

Sam
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby PauloBrazil » 24 Apr 2015, 02:22

samuncle {l Wrote}:Hi

The game isn't Mario kart, nor a "free MK". If you want to play to MK, well just play to MK. Our goal isn't to copy Mario Kart. That would be useless, since you can simply get the original.

We do have a grand prix and different difficulties. So what's the problem with that ? (I don't want to be offensive :). I'm friendly I just want to understand because your post lack of detail)

Sam

could have the two options you prefer.
Grand Prix and History.
The Championships in SuperTuxKart is cool only not open new tracks and karts.
I do not like the story mode, and should have more people who did not.

19 karts is fun only has some crash bugs.
PauloBrazil

Re: Could Add mode Grand prix? get new tracks and kart

Postby tux_peng » 24 Apr 2015, 20:09

I'm not sure what you mean either. If you are complaining about not being able to unlock tracks & kartS, it is possible to unlock without completing challenges

OSX-- ~/Library/Application\ Support/SuperTuxKart/0.8.2/players.xml
Win-- C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\supertuxkart\0.8.2\players.xml
Linux-- ~/.config/SuperTuxKart/0.8.2/players.xml

Replace all occurrences of 'none' with 'easy'
If you would like info about my STK servers, http://playstk.net
Superposition 720p Low Desktop 15031 | Laptop 7484
glmark2 Score: 9272
tux_peng

Postby Akien » 24 Apr 2015, 20:54

I think what PauloBrazil is trying to say is that he'd like to be able to unlock new content by playing Grand Prix like in Mario Kart, instead of going through the Story Mode.

Personally I like the story mode, but it's true that it would be nice to unlock some more goodies when completing the Grand Prix :)
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby Wuzzy » 26 Apr 2015, 20:33

What is the goal then? Altough is is not exactly a clone, you can't deny that SuperTuxKart is clearly heavily inspired by Mario Kart. Do you want to be different just for the sake of it? There is nothing wrong in adapting a game concept. It is not even illegal to “steal” ideas. ;)

Personally I think ideas should be valued on how well they have been thought out, not on where they come from. I don't care if feature X is a direct adaption of some other game Y or if it is truly something original (which is unlikely).

Also, do I understand it correctly? Are you opposed in having something like a championship mode in STK?

Personally, I think the Story Mode is quite okay, but I think it is a bit short and also quite easy (for me). In 0.9, I managed to get gold for all Story Mode challenges in about 2 days. But to be fair, I already played STK for a while and finished Story Mode in previous versions a couple of time.
It also certainly fails to provide long-term gameplay, a lot of opportunities are missed: First there are only 4 different grand prix in the whole game by default. At least users can easily add their own grand prix now, this is a plus.
Reverse direction is not used at all which is a huge missed opportunity. Also, most tracks are only used once or twice (they re-appear in a grand prix) and the game modes “time-trial” and “follow the leader” are underrepresented in the Story Mode. I have a few other issues with Story Mode, but I don't want to write more for now. Maybe I will write a whole new thread about this.
Wuzzy

Postby dimproject » 27 Apr 2015, 18:32

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:Reverse direction is not used at all which is a huge missed opportunity.

Reverse direction for tracks - good idea if this possible to done.
dimproject

Postby tux_peng » 30 Apr 2015, 01:19

Wuzzy {l Wrote}:

What is the goal then? Altough is is not exactly a clone, you can't deny that SuperTuxKart is clearly heavily inspired by Mario Kart. Do you want to be different just for the sake of it? There is nothing wrong in adapting a game concept. It is not even illegal to “steal” ideas. ;)

It doesn't barrow more from MK than any other kart game. I always though there was a closer link to DiddyKongRacing than MK.
If you would like info about my STK servers, http://playstk.net
Superposition 720p Low Desktop 15031 | Laptop 7484
glmark2 Score: 9272
tux_peng