SuperTuxKart 0.9 Release Candidate

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.9 Release Candidate

Postby hiker » 08 Apr 2015, 05:42

andrewj {l Wrote}:Is there a website for the Antarctica engine?

After searching around the 'net (and github), I'm not finding it, would be interested to learn more about it, and why you switched away from Irrlicht.

No, there is no web site. It is actually just a rendering backend for irrlicht. We broke backwards compatibility (e.g. removed a lot of irrlicht code that we don't use), so we don't want to give the impression that this could be a drop-in replacement for irrlicht, or that developers could get similar results to the rendering shown here by using 'vanilla irrlicht', so we needed a different name to avoid this confusion - and somehow that name stuck :P

The rendering engine atm is tightly integrated into stk (i.e. there was never a proper API developed to use it; it uses some functionality provided by stk (and not irrlicht) like file handling, ...), so it will be some work to make it useful for other games. For the release we will be a bit more explicit what this is :)

Hope that helps!
Joerg
hiker

Postby tux_peng » 08 Apr 2015, 05:44

If you would like info about my STK servers, http://playstk.net
Superposition 720p Low Desktop 15031 | Laptop 7484
glmark2 Score: 9272
tux_peng

Postby tux_peng » 08 Apr 2015, 23:14

I noticed you use *.tar.bz2 for your linux binaries, could you use *.tar.xz?
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
pixz -9 supertuxkart-0.9rc1-linux.tar supertuxkart-0.9rc1-linux.tar.xz

Save quite a bit of space
tux_peng

Postby deve » 09 Apr 2015, 07:42

tux_peng {l Wrote}:I noticed you use *.tar.bz2 for your linux binaries, could you use *.tar.xz?
pixz -9 supertuxkart-0.9rc1-linux.tar supertuxkart-0.9rc1-linux.tar.xz

Save quite a bit of space

tar.xz is much younger solution, it's because I prefer tar.bz2. For example pixz, which you mentioned is only available in testing Debian / Ubuntu 14.04 and higher. You can compare it with pbzip2 which is available in Ubuntu 10.04 and probably older versions too.

Though I see that linux kernel sources are already distributed in tar.xz packages ;)

I will look how much space it can save for our binaries.
deve

Postby Akien » 09 Apr 2015, 08:35

I don't know about pixz (it's not available in my distro it seems), but you can also use:
tar cvJf archive.tar.xz directory

or, since the J switch is relatively recent, you can use this on older systems:
tar cf - directory | xz -zf - > archive.tar.xz
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby deve » 09 Apr 2015, 10:29

'pixz' is 'xz' with multi-threading. You can of course use 'xz'. I just say that bz2 is more "mature".
deve

Postby Akien » 09 Apr 2015, 10:43

deve {l Wrote}:'pixz' is 'xz' with multi-threading. You can of course use 'xz'. I just say that bz2 is more "mature".

Thanks for the explanation about pixz :) It's true that bz2 is more mature, and LZMA is not supported everywhere yet. For example Python 2 does not support it, but Python 3 does, so if you want your archive to be usable by Python 2 applications, bz2 is a better choice (for example I had to make a bz2 tarball to include OpenDungeons 0.4.9 in the awesome gaming platform Lutris, which currently uses Python 2).
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby deve » 09 Apr 2015, 18:33

Here are some values for supertuxkart-0.9-rc1:

|  size    |  decompression time
original  |  552576  |  ---
bzip2 -3  |  417376  |  33 s
bzip2 -9  |  416028  |  45 s
xz -3     |  395652  |  21 s
xz -9     |  376696  |  21 s

We can save about 40 MB with shorter decompression time. It's quite a lot.
deve

Postby ArDanWol » 11 Apr 2015, 03:12

Hi everyone,
Still having fun with the new version and enjoying the great graphics. :) I recently tried running this new version on another laptop that ran 0.8.1 better than mine. Every time I try to play a track with any of the advanced pipeline features enabled, the game crashes and I get a message that tells me the display driver crashed. When I have the advanced pipeline features disabled, the game runs fine, but it takes a very long time to load any track. Here is the PC info:
CPU Info.png

Other than this, I have had no problems or complaints regarding this release. :D Great job and thanks for all the hard work everyone!
I asked this earlier, but no one answered my question: Is there a 64 bit version for Windows?
Thanks!
ArDanWol
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby woolookologie » 11 Apr 2015, 15:33

Hello all,
I played STK 0.9 on an firends mac and wanted to download it now on my pc. Sadly I always get this error:

Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include
incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the
installer's author to obtain a new copy.

I already re-downloaded it two times, no change.
Can someone help me?

Greetings, Woolookologie
P.S. Sorry for my english... ^^
woolookologie

Postby deve » 11 Apr 2015, 19:01

@ardanwol
- Do you have current drivers?
- Did you try to disable certain features to avoid a crash (shadows, GI, texture compression...)?
- If you are able to get backtrace of this crash, this could be useful
- Could you share your stdout.log file?

If you are able to send more information, such as stdout.log file and backtrace from debugger, please open a ticket in our bug tracker.

Is there a 64 bit version for Windows?

You won't find 64-bit version to download. You should be able to compile it if you want. I remember some patches for 64-bit compilation support.
deve

Postby hiker » 12 Apr 2015, 12:58

woolookologie {l Wrote}:Installer integrity check has failed. Common causes include
incomplete download and damaged media. Contact the
installer's author to obtain a new copy.

I already re-downloaded it two times, no change.
Can someone help me?

Did you download the copies from the sourceforge, i.e.: http://sourceforge.net/projects/supertu ... t/0.9-rc1/ ?

Which binary exactly did you download? Can you check the md5 or sha1 checksum - click on the 'i' button to see the 'right' values, and google for a program to use (if you are on windows I've found http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download ... x?id=11533, but don't have experience with, and I am sure there are others as well) to verify the checksum. If the checksum you have should be different from the ones on the SF page, let us know and we will try to find out if it is a SF problem (but afaik you are the only one having that problem).

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby laol » 12 Apr 2015, 13:03

All tracks are working, and game is stable. But i found big and very strange bug in mutli player (at one PC). All info (speedometer, time, rank, weapons and even the plunger-mask) about top player - at the bottom. And all info about bottom player - at the top.
laol

Postby woolookologie » 12 Apr 2015, 22:43

Hey there, first, thanks for the reply. :)
hiker {l Wrote}:Did you download the copies from the sourceforge, i.e.: http://sourceforge.net/projects/supertu ... t/0.9-rc1/ ?
Which binary exactly did you download?

Exactly. I've downloaded the exe for windows.
hiker {l Wrote}:Can you check the md5 or sha1 checksum - click on the 'i' button to see the 'right' values, and google for a program to use (if you are on windows I've found http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download ... x?id=11533, but don't have experience with, and I am sure there are others as well) to verify the checksum. If the checksum you have should be different from the ones on the SF page, let us know and we will try to find out if it is a SF problem (but afaik you are the only one having that problem).

The first thing I have to do is to find out what checksums are, google is my friend in this case. :D
I can say one more thing, I tried to install it today on another PC (with an horrible graficcard) and there I get no error. :/

Cheers, woolookologie
woolookologie

Postby charlie » 12 Apr 2015, 23:51

woolookologie {l Wrote}:checksums

They are simply a way of verifying that a downloaded file has downloaded correctly. If the checksum of the downloaded file is different to that stated by the provider, then something has gone wrong e.g. the download got interrupted and you have an incomplete file.
Free Gamer - it's the dogz
Vexi - web UI platform
charlie
Global Moderator

Postby hiker » 13 Apr 2015, 00:26

Gee, sorry for the delay in answering.

ardanwol {l Wrote}:Wow! I'm amazed. :shock: :o All the tracks look amazing! This is an awesome release. Good work everyone!

Thanks ;)

I'm still having the problem where everything gets very dark after the "Ready, Set, Go!" sequence starts when it's in fullscreen mode. I get the following error message to stdout.log:
[error  ] GLWrapp: Error when linking these shaders :
[error  ] GLWrapp: data/shaders/slicedscreenquad.vert
[error  ] GLWrapp: data/shaders/rhpassthrough.geom
[error  ] GLWrapp: data/shaders/rh.frag
[error  ] GLWrapp: The geometry shader uses varying uv_in, but previous shader does not write to it.

Do I remember correctly that you are on an intel hd4000 card? What graphical settings do you use? Can you try to reduce the graphical settings (go into the details to select them individually). If you can identify one particular setting that make it go away, we can disable that feature for this type of card (also of course check if you are using the latest driver)

One more question: Is there a 64bit edition for Windows?

No one of us had time. We should be able to compile in 64 bit mode, and someone made a dependency package, but we have never tried to actually use it ;)

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby tux_peng » 13 Apr 2015, 06:11

I installed kubuntu on my mac (specs first page), I get a slower, but acceptable 36fps on each track (ran with --demo-mode=1 to test) at 1440x900 fullscreen with all GFX (5) except outlines. Tracks such as mathclass zipped along at 75fps
tux_peng

Postby ArDanWol » 13 Apr 2015, 17:14

hiker {l Wrote}:Do I remember correctly that you are on an intel hd4000 card?

Yes, that's right. ;)
hiker {l Wrote}:What graphical settings do you use? Can you try to reduce the graphical settings (go into the details to select them individually). If you can identify one particular setting that make it go away, we can disable that feature for this type of card (also of course check if you are using the latest driver)

Here are my normal graphics settings:
Advanced Pipeline: Enabled
Shadows: Low
Bloom: Enabled
Ambient Occlusion: Enabled
Glow: Disabled
Motion Blur: Disabled
Image Based Lighting: Enabled
Light Shaft: Enabled
Global Illumination: Enabled
Anti-Aliasing: Disabled
Depth Of Field: Enabled
Weather Effects: Enabled
Animated Scenery: Enabled
HD Textures: Enabled
Animated Characters: All Enabled
Texture Filtering: Trilinear

I tried disabling everything one at a time, and then all together, but nothing other than fullscreen affects this, not even disabling advanced pipeline. :o I also have the latest drivers. One thing that's interesting to note is that I don't have this problem on the same computer on Linux. I mentioned on another topic that I'm able to get better framerates at higher graphics settings and resolutions on Linux rather than Windows. Not sure why this is. :think: :?

@deve regarding my issue with another laptop.
deve {l Wrote}:- Do you have current drivers?
Yes
deve {l Wrote}:- Did you try to disable certain features to avoid a crash (shadows, GI, texture compression...)?
Yes, I did. I have to have advanced pipeline completely disabled in order to play at all.
deve {l Wrote}:- If you are able to get backtrace of this crash, this could be useful
How do I do this?
deve {l Wrote}:- Could you share your stdout.log file?
Sure, I'll submit it as soon as I can.

Another question: How do I read the framerate? I get a number such as 8/8/10 (my typical Cocoa Temple race framerate on Windows) in the framerate box. How do I interpret this?

Thanks everyone!
ArDanWol
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby woolookologie » 13 Apr 2015, 19:28

Hello! :)
charlie {l Wrote}:
woolookologie {l Wrote}:checksums

They are simply a way of verifying that a downloaded file has downloaded correctly. If the checksum of the downloaded file is different to that stated by the provider, then something has gone wrong e.g. the download got interrupted and you have an incomplete file.

Thanks for the info!
Here the checksums:
MD5:01FC33C94DB26DC34A759E4DDD0D81DB
SHA1:DAA29FCD0B6D165EDC80EB505DFA3955F2BD7B80

I hope this helps.
woolookologie

Postby hiker » 13 Apr 2015, 22:57

woolookologie {l Wrote}:Here the checksums:
MD5:01FC33C94DB26DC34A759E4DDD0D81DB
SHA1:DAA29FCD0B6D165EDC80EB505DFA3955F2BD7B80

They are certainly wrong (as I've said, click on the black circled 'i' next to the executable on the SF download page), the are:
SHA1: 246a94555d2029d7d14440a8255448ea09eb56b0
MD5: 44eee258d53903ee5d5c7d80bb7afc4c

So I can only suggest to download again (perhaps from a different mirror), that's either a problem with your internet or SF, I can't tell.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby hiker » 14 Apr 2015, 00:45

Just to list the enabled from your list:
ardanwol {l Wrote}:Advanced Pipeline: Enabled
Bloom: Enabled
Ambient Occlusion: Enabled
Image Based Lighting: Enabled
Light Shaft: Enabled
Global Illumination: Enabled
Depth Of Field: Enabled
Weather Effects: Enabled
Animated Scenery: Enabled
HD Textures: Enabled
Animated Characters: All Enabled
Texture Filtering: Trilinear

There's lot enabled for a graphics card that's not exactly high-end (for the record, I have hd3000, bare minimum). I would be surprised if you get a decent framerate (at least on the heavy tracks like Cocoa and Gran Paradiso).

I tried disabling everything one at a time, and then all together, but nothing other than fullscreen affects this, not even disabling advanced pipeline. :o I also have the latest drivers.

That's a pity :( Not sure there's much we can do about it, since we can't reproduce the problem. I found a somewhat similar report here: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questi ... -mode.html (note that while this is a nvidia+hd4000 setup, my understanding is that the intel one is used).

One thing that's interesting to note is that I don't have this problem on the same computer on Linux. I mentioned on another topic that I'm able to get better framerates at higher graphics settings and resolutions on Linux rather than Windows. Not sure why this is. :think: :?

Yes, the linux driver is apparently much better than the windows driver, I've seen similar things on my hd3000.

Stack trace: ideally it should be displayed in case of a crash on windows, but we know that this doesn't always work (and don't know why atm). So, if you see a nice stack trace, post it (ideally in the tracker).

Another question: How do I read the framerate? I get a number such as 8/8/10 (my typical Cocoa Temple race framerate on Windows) in the framerate box. How do I interpret this?

That's minimum, average, and maximum frame rate.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby woolookologie » 14 Apr 2015, 09:47

Hey, I just tried to install an exe I downloaded on my other PC, and it works! \^-^/
Anyway it's strange because I tried to download it with IE too. (I work with Firefox in common).
Cheers, Wooloo :)
woolookologie

Postby tux_peng » 16 Apr 2015, 00:05

Runnig great :-) I just set up my DS3 with the accelerometer for steering, it's interesting

<gamepad name ="PLAYSTATION(R)3 Controller (34:C7:31:10:58:08)" deadzone="4096" desensitize="0" analog="1"
         enabled="true">
    <action name="steerLeft" id="4" event="2" character="0" direction="0" range="0" />
    <action name="steerRight" id="4" event="2" character="0" direction="1" range="0" />
    <action name="accel" id="13" event="3" character="48" />
    <action name="brake" id="14" event="3" character="48" />
    <action name="nitro" id="10" event="3" character="48" />
    <action name="drift" id="9" event="3" character="48" />
    <action name="rescue" id="12" event="3" character="48" />
    <action name="fire" id="8" event="3" character="48" />
    <action name="lookBack" id="11" event="3" character="48" />
    <action name="pauserace" id="3" event="3" character="48" />
    <action name="menuUp" id="4" event="3" character="48" />
    <action name="menuDown" id="6" event="3" character="48" />
    <action name="menuLeft" id="7" event="3" character="48" />
    <action name="menuRight" id="5" event="3" character="48" />
    <action name="menuSelect" id="13" event="3" character="48" />
    <action name="menuCancel" id="14" event="3" character="48" />
</gamepad>
tux_peng

Postby samuncle » 16 Apr 2015, 02:03

mr_Spoon {l Wrote}:Thanks for the update! Good work all!
:)

We've just given this latest version a whirl & noticed a few things.

The driver selection screen shows unequal bar lengths. Screenshot here:
bar-length.png

A couple of other things we noticed is on the Egypt map, when nearly exiting the top of the right-hand tunnel, it usually slows the car down, which it didn't do on earlier versions. Screenshot here:
egypt-tunnel-end.png
I think I read on the forums about driving upside-down being a new feature, so suspect this might be related to that. My brother also said in the Subsea map that he was driving up-side-down on the ceiling of one of the tunnels breifly, I didn't see it though. ;)

And the sides on this brige could do with being clearer, they're quite easy to miss & drive straight into, screenshot here:
egypt-bridge.png

We also noticed a bit of slowdown on the Maths Class map. My system is a pretty powerful i5-4570, 8GB RAM, SSD, 2GB nVidia 750Ti (nVidia driver v346.47). Slackware 14.1 (64-bit miltilib). Using STK maximum graphics level 5. We had 8x AI plus 2 humans. The graphics also weren't rendering correctly for some of the objects in it, they were solid blocks of colour. Screenshot here:
maths-class.png

Also to begin with we thought the player selection screen was failing to allow the 2nd user to add themselves by pressing fire when they should but eventually managed, it, not sure if there's an issue here or it was user error as we haven't been able to reproduce it.

Sorry if any of these things have already been highlighted.

Can you provide the texture of xue ? I would like to include it. The sign is a nice touch
samuncle
STK Moderator

Will there be a Solaris Port again?

Postby Vermilion » 18 Apr 2015, 21:16

Please make again a Solaris Port, working on Solaris 11
Vermilion