Installation of 0.8.2 Beta2 on Ubuntu 14.04

Installation of 0.8.2 Beta2 on Ubuntu 14.04

Postby ArDanWol » 30 Mar 2015, 16:28

Hi everyone,
I'm loving playing 0.8.2 Beta and am looking forward to the official release. I have a dual-boot computer with Windows 8 on one partition and Ubuntu 14.04 on the other. I noticed that STK 0.8.1 and programs in general run smoother on Linux than on Windows. I wanted to try 0.8.2 on Ubuntu, but there are no clear directions on how to install it. I got 0.8.1 from the Ubuntu software center, but I'm not at all sure what to do for 0.8.2. I have downloaded the Linux binary from the downloads page, now what?
Please note that I'm a relative newbie at Linux.
Thanks for your assistance
ArDanWol
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Re: Installation of 0.8.2 Beta2 on Ubuntu 14.04

Postby deve » 30 Mar 2015, 21:09

To be honest, I didn't notice that games run smoother on linux. I checked today curren version and I get exactly the same fps number on win 8 and ubuntu with nvidia graphics card. With intel or AMD you will probably get lower fps.

I think you can wait a while for upcoming release candidate version.

If you downloaded package, you need just to unpack it and run it using run_game sctipt wchich can be found in main directory.
deve

Postby ArDanWol » 30 Mar 2015, 21:20

deve {l Wrote}:To be honest, I didn't notice that games run smoother on linux. I checked today curren version and I get exactly the same fps number on win 8 and ubuntu with nvidia graphics card. With intel or AMD you will probably get lower fps.

I've got a Intel HD 4000 graphics card and I get a higher FPS on Linux. I'm able to have it on higher graphics settings than on Windows with the same FPS.
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
ArDanWol

Postby deve » 30 Mar 2015, 21:54

Ardanwol, you get higher fps with exactly the same graphics settings? Note that on linux shadows and global ilumination are disabled for intel graphics cards. And on windows high definition textures are disabled.

Were you able to successfully run beta on linux?
deve

Postby ArDanWol » 31 Mar 2015, 00:10

I have not tried yet.
ArDanWol

Postby ArDanWol » 31 Mar 2015, 20:07

It works great on Linux! I am able to have it on full graphics settings at an excellent framerate. What exactly does global illumination do, because I don't see much difference between having it on or off?
ArDanWol