Day/night test in supertuxkart

Day/night test in supertuxkart

Postby samuncle » 20 Mar 2015, 03:03

Hi everyone

Many people asked if a day/night cycle was possible in supertuxkart. While this is not possible currently, I have made a quick test to see how difficult it would be to switch a track from a day situation to a night one. I did this quick and dirty test in less than 2h for the European 2015 eclipse.

eclipse.jpg

The main changes where:
1) The sky color
2) The IBL texture
3) The sun emission color
4) The fog

And in a little amount of time the track has been converted to a "night" version (I deliberatively avoided to make something too bluish, since during an eclipse you still have a little amount of yellow light coming).

So if we find a way to specify these values and change them we can do a day night cycle. However keep in mind this ISN'T a priority. It was only a test to see how feasible it is and how much time it takes to do the conversion.

Also special thanks to XGhost for the next gen version of Tux used in this wallpaper.

Sam
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby tuxkartdriver » 20 Mar 2015, 05:37

-
Last edited by tuxkartdriver on 08 Jan 2016, 21:47, edited 2 times in total.
tuxkartdriver

Re: Day/night test in supertuxkart

Postby Anon » 20 Mar 2015, 06:03

The problem with Blender animating lights is that the STK engine only renders the closest few lamps, so you'd have to forfeit all actual dynamic track lighting if you wanted to replace the sun with an animated lamp. But i suppose light emitting objects would be scarce in an exterior track anyways?

I actually used 6 animated lights to simulate lightning in my temple arena... although, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if they're actually close enough to the ground to have any effect...
Anon

Postby tuxkartdriver » 20 Mar 2015, 06:20

-
tuxkartdriver