Converting Old Addons Upon Release of 0.8.2?

Converting Old Addons Upon Release of 0.8.2?

Postby TuxyWuxy » 18 Mar 2015, 02:21

Hi guys!

As some of you may know, the 0.8.2 Beta version does not support the old addons from 0.8.1. Is there a possiblity that they will be able to be converted so that they are compatible with 0.8.2 upon its release?

Thanks!

OLD ISSUE

Hello all:

One of the reasons to me why SuperTuxKart is so hilarious is the text that shows up when you execute a successful attack with an item (i.e. Tux merges Elephant's face with a plunger).

Does anyone know where to locate the file that contains these lines? I wish to add some of my own.

While on the topic of this, is there anyway to extend the duration of which they are shown on the screen?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by TuxyWuxy on 20 Mar 2015, 05:33, edited 1 time in total.
TuxyWuxy

Re: Text on Item Attacks: Add Some New Ones?

Postby ArDanWol » 18 Mar 2015, 14:53

I'm not exactly sure where. They removed the text at the bottom of the screen in 0.8.2. In 0.8.1, I found some text in the "po" folder in "data". I don't think this is correct though because I changed some text, but it didn't register in game.
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby GeekPenguinBR » 18 Mar 2015, 21:04

AFAIK, the funny messages were removed since they distract the players. At least, I think that somebody wrote this in some post.
GeekPenguinBR

Postby hiker » 19 Mar 2015, 23:20

GeekPenguinBR {l Wrote}:AFAIK, the funny messages were removed since they distract the players. At least, I think that somebody wrote this in some post.

Yes, esp. if you play with many karts, those messages would be piled up on the screen. Besides, if you have time to read the messages, something boring is happening ;)

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby TuxyWuxy » 20 Mar 2015, 05:29

Thanks for the info guys. I installed the 0.8.2 Beta, and it seems pretty impressive.

Do you think there will be any way to convert the old addons to be compatible with the new version upon release?
TuxyWuxy

Re: Converting Old Addons Upon Release of 0.8.2?

Postby Anon » 20 Mar 2015, 06:17

I think there's been a couple of changes in the addon format from 0.8.1, the most notable of which is a completely new format for the materials file. However, they're limited to human-readable files (mostly xml), while the model (b3d) and texture (png, jpg) formats are still the same. So in theory, it shouldn't be too hard to manually open any necessary addon packages and update them by hand.

Personally, I'm still not sure what to do about my own addons. Since I have the sources, it's possible to either make an entire next-gen remake, do a quick conversion to use the new features, or do a conversion that attempts to preserve the appearance of the track. The same should be true of any addons with uploaded source files.
Anon

Postby hiker » 21 Mar 2015, 00:07

TuxyWuxy {l Wrote}:Do you think there will be any way to convert the old addons to be compatible with the new version upon release?

Oops, I missed the initial question, sorry for that. Of course it is possible with not too much work to port the old addons, but someone (and most likely not one of us main devs) has to do that ;) The necessary changes are documented on our wiki:

http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/Tra ... new_engine

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby TuxyWuxy » 22 Mar 2015, 23:10

Thanks for the info! Is it possible to convert Karts as well?

Also, I've noticed an issue when playing 0.8.1. I have no idea whether it's just me or not, but sometimes when I play, the FPS suddenly grinds to a near stop. I look at the log and it says

[warn] MusicOgg: Music not playing when it should be. Source state: 4116

This makes the game near unplayable.

Any help? Thanks in advance! (Sorry for all of the questions)
TuxyWuxy

Postby hiker » 23 Mar 2015, 07:08

TuxyWuxy {l Wrote}:Thanks for the info! Is it possible to convert Karts as well?

Yes, of course.
Also, I've noticed an issue when playing 0.8.1. I have no idea whether it's just me or not, but sometimes when I play, the FPS suddenly grinds to a near stop. I look at the log and it says

[warn] MusicOgg: Music not playing when it should be. Source state: 4116

This makes the game near unplayable.

Any help? Thanks in advance! (Sorry for all of the questions)

Please check again with the next release, it should improve this.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby TuxyWuxy » 25 Mar 2015, 04:34

Thanks for all of the help! I appreciate it.
TuxyWuxy