[important] The music for the trailer :)

[important] The music for the trailer :)

Postby samuncle » 25 Feb 2015, 21:29

Hi everyone

While searching for the perfect music for our trailer on Jamendo I suddenly realized we have some very good soundtrack maker so why not making an original song for the trailer.

I can't disclose yet the whole script of the trailer because I'm still working on it but basically:

[the introduction] There should be between 10 and 15 sec where the music start very calm and slowly building up (since there will be a special thing in introduction).
In the introduction we see the classical Stk dev team presents, probably graved in a metal glossy plate
then this
trailer-intro.jpg

I can't show you more unfortunately. It's still work in progress however you can contact me (private forum msg or on IRC, freenode.net chan #stk). Of course the trailer will be rendered using stk's engine (not cycle like in my preview, these are just test).

[the second "part"] Then a mix between pure action where we will show races and more calm passages yet epic to show the beautiful landscape of our world.

The composition should be something like that
intro (max 20 sec) -> building up to action -> the beginning of the race -> landscape -> race -> landscape -> race (then after ~1min50) we go underwater and the music might change a bit but not needed.
The music SHOULDN'T be annoying to hear (if possible make something easy to sing or remember)

I have here some example I like

The beginning is very cool IMHO
https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/1160275/feel-the-beat#
Also I love the new Alien music
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=6012&p=62104&hilit=xr591#p62071
Maybe a slightly south American mood but not during the beginning (the beginning will quite different from what we had in our previous trailer).
https://www.jamendo.com/en/track/1143803/goaaaaal

Real racing game trailer (for references)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IYOXntEFcE
(I especially love the beginning here, but in our case the intro should be smaller)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSgyJqecz-4

The total length of the trailer will be around ~2min30. So the music should aim at a similar length.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Re: [important] The music for the trailer :)

Postby 0zone0ne » 25 Feb 2015, 23:04

I'll definitely have a go at this, I'll upload some ideas soon.
0zone0ne

Postby 0zone0ne » 01 Mar 2015, 00:31

This is what I'm imagining the music during the middle of the trailer would be like:
trailer_idea1.ogg
(2.16 MiB) Downloaded 252 times
If you think this is ok I'll keep developing it, but there's only a certain amount I can do without knowing the exact timing of the video. If we could talk privately about the trailer it would be super helpful.
0zone0ne

Postby samuncle » 01 Mar 2015, 02:06

I'm not fully convinced :|

Not sure it doesn't sound epic IMHO. I prefer for instance the Alien song you did for XR591.
Maybe it's too "jazz"

For the whole script I sent in private the story behind this trailer. Maybe check your spam folder. Sometime mails sent by the forum end up there :[
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby ArDanWol » 02 Mar 2015, 17:22

The trailer for version 0.8.1 was very well done IMO. The music blended right into the video and the whole thing just made me want to play the game :) . I'm looking forward to seeing Sam and 0zone work their magic and create another excellent trailer. BTW, if you need someone to write a promotional thing for STK, I might be able to help. :D Good work STK team!
ArDanWol
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby samuncle » 03 Mar 2015, 23:58

@ardanwol thanks for your support. We are definitly trying to create something unique and not seen before.

I have spent some time trying to create an "interesting story" for the trailer. and hopefully with the music of 0zone0ne + krobonil it should be a success.

Sam
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby samuncle » 10 Mar 2015, 03:41

Hi everyone

I'm starting to make the trailer. While this is ground work to adjust things and I don't like to put deadlines or pushing people if any musician want to create this the priority is high and we need as soon as possible the music.

Now there is two ways of doing the trailer. We can create the video and then the musician can create a soundtrack that will follow the action of the clip.

The other solution is to create a music and then during filming making sure the action match the music.

I want to know what do you prefer. Creating a music or creating a music when the trailer is finished ?
I have to start to film it because we have a lot of work and if I can finish this I will be happy.

Can we set this to high priority ?

I sent to both krobonil and 0zone0ne the script of the trailer so hopefully the music should become soon a reality :)
If you feel you can't make it please contact me. This is not an issue but it will avoid to block my tasks.

Thanks for your understanding

Sam
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby samuncle » 11 Mar 2015, 15:45

Hi everyone

I have found a music for the trailer. I'm sad to say this but I can't wait any longer :(. Sorry, however if significant work was done, nothing is lost we will use in another promotional video :). (And don't panic I have another promotional video in mind).

I wanted to say thank you for everyone involved, It was a difficult decision and I have to finish this trailer. Every days add more pressure to my schedule.
samuncle
STK Moderator

Postby samuncle » 13 Mar 2015, 08:28

Well yes I agree krobonil but I don't like to put too much pressure. I tought the topic's name with the tag [important] was a friendly way to say we need it as soon as possible.

I was to be honest surprised to not see more iteration since sometimes when we don't need a music we end up pretty quickly to get an acceptable result.
So I was caught in a cycle where I was sure something will come next day so no need to hurry, nothing so they are probably working on it etc.

At the end I was unfortunately locked and I decided to move forward. IT's sad I do agree but sometime it happens.
samuncle
STK Moderator