Super-hard track set

Super-hard track set

Postby Anon » 03 Feb 2015, 06:32

I was using the first beta of STK 0.8.2 (or 0.9... or 1.0...) to test a hardware upgrade, and I noticed that the old Minigolf track has been replaced with a newer version (probably from this thread) that's significantly easier. Honestly though, the old Minigolf was my favourite track because of how hard it was. You had to be really on point with your timing, or else you'd lose precious seconds on your final time.

So I immediately thought about trying to get the old one back as an addon. And then I thought, why not take things further? It was suggested a while back that an extra set of "Supertux" difficulty challenges for the existing tracks should be unlocked after beating Nolok in the final challenge. I'd like to suggest adding an entire set (maybe 5-6) of next-gen tracks that are designed specifically to be challenging. And by that I mean that the number one goal in designing the tracks would be to make them hard enough that they would be fun no matter how good you are at the game. So no BS. If the track could look ten times better but would have to be easier, then it would end up looking a tenth as good as it could have.

Obviously, I can't expect the dev team to divert effort towards this idea when so many of the core tracks still need remaking. And while I at first thought that I could make this set myself, that's begun to seem a bit unlikely/unrealistic (I still have the next-gen Green Valley to make for STK, in addition to personal projects and real life). So I guess I'm posting this to just gauge the response to this idea, get it out there, and see if it's worth pursuing.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
-6 tracks
   -"Supertux Set"
   -unlocked after beating nolok
   -comprise a "Nolok's Revenge" grand prix
   -designed to first be challenging and then to look pretty/make sense
      -obscenely hard
         -not impossible
         -nothing cheap
            -no excessive usage of supernarrow roads, annoying zipper placement, etc.
         -only as a means of increasing entertainment and enjoyment
      -likely should be hard enough that anyone first playing the game stands no chance
   -extensive use of magnet mode
      -"3D" maneuvering
         -turning on more than 1 axis at a time
            -simultaneous twisting, turning, and pitching
   -wilder, crazier themes than normal that almost constitute an entire universe on their own that's separate from the main STK world
      -haunted dimension
         -lots of purple
      -future era
      -subterrenean world
      -cannon track
         -bastion-style broken landmasses?
      -et cetera
   -includes "track starting in futuristic city"
   -has companion arena
      -remake of STK Mercury

-track starting in a futurstic city
   -normal + gloss mapped skyscraper windows
   -karts cannon'd to space station halfway through
      -skybox = inside of city's downtown (for skyscraper reflections)
         -city and space placed in separate sky spheres (geometry)
            -animated skies?
            -sky spheres connected with tube w/ blue-black gradient to simulate atmospheric ascension during launch
               -bent near ends, to avoid visible holes in skies
            -space placed above city
               -cannon actually launches karts upwards
      -upwards, magnetic slope right before cannon, to allow proper camera angle?
         -might not work
   -beautiful, glowing beacon of technology, human achievement, and natural (planetary) beauty
   -concepts from w/ "futuristic spaceport track"
      -spaceport by city
         -futuristic launch methods?
            -"super zipper"?
               -"volumetric" zipper texture
               -cylinder with zipper texture animated going upwards
                  -vertex paint alpha fades with height
                  -two textures going in opposite diagonal directions
                     -criss-crossing
                  -zipper repeated 3-4 times around circumference
   -concepts from w/ "extremely hard track"
      -holographic sky roads w/ magnet mode?
         -inspiration from Aperture Science Hard Light Bridge
         -too similar to rainbow road?
   -universe/story/lore ties to STK Mercury?

So what does everyone here think? If it's a welcome idea then I'll probably be able to find time and motivation to work on the tracks sometime. Or if someone else would also like take it then that would be great as well.
Anon

Re: Super-hard track set

Postby hiker » 05 Feb 2015, 01:26

Just my 2 cents: I always wanted to support 'packages' in our addon server, i.e. a set of tracks, music, GP data - all packaged together. Originally I even wanted an option to also add challenges to the overworld this way (so you could actually add challenges there by installing a package), but I was told that this was too complicated (admittedly I was thinking of a much smaller, less varied overworld at that time).

So, if you can get this kind of package organised, I'll (or someone else :p ) can try to support this.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Re: Super-hard track set

Postby Anon » 05 Feb 2015, 05:14

Great, thanks! I'll definitely have to consider spending some time on making this happen then.
Anon