SuperTuxKart 0.8.2 Beta2

Re: SuperTuxKart 0.8.2 Beta2

Postby ArDanWol » 07 Mar 2015, 17:31

I had a crash this morning at the end of a 5 kart race in Cocoa Temple.

{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
---------------------------
SuperTuxKart crashed :/
SuperTuxKart crashed!
Please hit Ctrl+C to copy to clipboard and signal the problem
to the developers on our forum: http://forum.freegamedev.net/viewforum.php?f=16

Call stack:

<no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 pthread_setcanceltype
 cexit
 beginthreadex
 BaseThreadInitThunk
 RtlInitializeExceptionChain
OK   

This is the first crash I've had with beta #2

I also had another crash this evening on a 5 kart race in Blackhill Mansion.
SuperTuxKart crashed!

Call stack:

<no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 pthread_setcanceltype
 cexit
 beginthreadex
 BaseThreadInitThunk
OK   

Overall, beta #2 is a lot more stable and performs much better than beta #1. Great work team!

My PC info:
Model: HP TouchSmart Laptop
CPU: Intel Core i3-3120m @2.5GHz (dual core)
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000
RAM: 6Gb
Last edited by ArDanWol on 14 Mar 2015, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
I'm know pretty much everywhere else on the internet as "Kpenguin"
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
"That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!"
ArDanWol

Postby NowhereMan » 09 Mar 2015, 03:39

Found a hole in Blackhill Mansion:
mansion-2015.03.08_21.10.15.jpeg
Oh no! I found a hole!

Here's a shot as I come up to it:
mansion-2015.03.08_21.14.32.jpeg
I'll get you and your pesky hole, too!

And here I was driving quite slow as I go down it again:
mansion-2015.03.08_21.14.39.jpeg
Konqi go down the hole...!
NowhereMan

Postby NowhereMan » 10 Mar 2015, 04:53

I think I've discovered one of the reasons karts are getting stuck in walls. Or at least a lead for that reason. I discovered this while playing Minigolf, so I'll use that track to illustrate.

Note: do not use Adiumy. I could never get that kart stuck, no matter how I tried. I believe it should work for all four-wheeled karts, though I haven't tested all of them. It also works with Gnu, which you'll see in the screenshots.

In Minigolf, on the helix bridge, take the low path.
minigolf-2015.03.09_22.07.58.jpg

Come to a stop near the bottom.
minigolf-2015.03.09_22.08.08.jpg

Now, nudge yourself into either wall at an angle. You don't have to go fast. Sometimes, you can even let your kart slide into the wall on its own.
minigolf-2015.03.09_22.08.48.jpg

minigolf-2015.03.09_22.09.26.jpg

Once your kart starts bouncing around a bit, that should mean its stuck. I can usually get it in the first try, but sometimes it takes two or three.

This doesn't happen on all parts of the track. For example, I can't reproduce it on the high bridge. This leads me to think that it's a track design mistake. Maybe the boundary for the wall and track aren't properly connected. Or maybe it's the angle at which the track and wall meet. (The angle is acute for the low bridge and obtuse for the high bridge.)

Of course it could be something else unrelated to the track, but this test doesn't point in that direction.

Also, I'm not sure why Adiumy is immune to the effect. Maybe that kart requires being more accurate with the angle at which you hit the wall, something I just never achieved. Or maybe because it's less stable for-to-aft, that instability allows it to pitch more easily when it gets to the problem spot, rather than getting stuck like other karts. But that's all just guesswork on my part.

Any case, hope this helps!
NowhereMan

Postby hiker » 10 Mar 2015, 22:07

NowhereMan {l Wrote}:I think I've discovered one of the reasons karts are getting stuck in walls. Or at least a lead for that reason. I discovered this while playing Minigolf, so I'll use that track to illustrate.

While I haven't figured out the exact details for the crash, I've fixed a work around I've implemented quite a while ago.

Could you see if in current git this problem is gone?

Thanks!
Joerg
hiker

Postby CT_GIMPER_101 » 12 Mar 2015, 16:15

Hi STK Staff - i tryed to play the STK 0.8.2 Beta2 i still get a error when i try to play a game. and it still is not Fall Screen Play. i hope this helps you out. i love STK 0.8.1 I still play it i hope to see the new game soon so don't rush the game out. i tell all my friends about STK & how it's Free and better then Mario Kart. if there is more beta's coming out i will test them for you if you like me too. please reply CT_GIMPER_101 :) :heart:
CT_GIMPER_101

Postby ArDanWol » 13 Mar 2015, 02:29

Had two more crashes:

SuperTuxKart crashed!

Call stack:

<no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 pthread_setcanceltype
 cexit
 beginthreadex
 BaseThreadInitThunk
OK   

SuperTuxKart crashed!

Call stack:

<no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 <no symbol available>
 pthread_setcanceltype
 cexit
 beginthreadex
 BaseThreadInitThunk
OK   
"Profanity is one language all computer users know" - Murphy's 50th Law of Computers
Software bugs are impossible to detect by anybody except the end user - Murphy's 31st law of software
Each computer code has five bugs, regardless of how many bugs have been already found - Murphy's 50th law of software
ArDanWol

Postby ArDanWol » 14 Mar 2015, 15:40

I'm having a weird issue with this beta. Whenever I put it in fullscreen mode, it gets very dark after the "ready, set, go!" sequence starts. This only happens in fullscreen mode and none of the other graphics settings affect it. When it's not in fullscreen mode, it's dark before the "ready, set, go!" sequence (note the underlines). I have no idea why this happens, and it's very frustrating because I have such a small field of view in windowed mode. Any ideas on why this happens or what causes it? :?
ArDanWol

Postby Arthur » 16 Mar 2015, 21:51

Hmm that's strange indeed. Maybe there's a shader behaving differently in windowed vs fullscreen on your card, i.e. a driver bug. I know it seems like we always blame drivers but from experience they are very fickle beasts, and we often have to work around them because they break in interesting ways. I have a card that can't handle a certain feature, which makes it think I don't have enough graphics memory (I have 1 GB), and I am so far the only one experiencing this. But yeah it's very strange that no graphics setting seem to change anything in your case - not sure how to debug this any further. :(
Hey pal, I took an oath for justice! "In happy days or tightest tights..." or something like that.
Arthur

Postby ArDanWol » 17 Mar 2015, 00:16

I checked for driver updates for my card and there was none. I have a pretty common card (Intel HD Graphics 4000). Is there anything else I can do about it? Does anyone else have this problem?
ArDanWol

Postby Anon » 20 Mar 2015, 06:08

I think I remember reading somewhere that HD 4000 support is patchy because the developers don't actually have any machine to test it on.
Anon

Postby tetriser016 » 21 Mar 2015, 12:29

I've a problem playing this beta, I've stuck to the loading screen for a long time on my PC (when trying to play a track), even on the lowest graphics level.

Does my PC able to play this beta?

My PC specs:
- Windows 8.1 x64
- 1.70GB out of 2 GB of usable RAM
- AMD A8-6410 APU with AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (2GHz)
tetriser016

Postby hiker » 23 Mar 2015, 07:14

ardanwol {l Wrote}:I'm having a weird issue with this beta. Whenever I put it in fullscreen mode, it gets very dark after the "ready, set, go!" sequence starts. This only happens in fullscreen mode and none of the other graphics settings affect it. When it's not in fullscreen mode, it's dark before the "ready, set, go!" sequence (note the underlines). I have no idea why this happens, and it's very frustrating because I have such a small field of view in windowed mode. Any ideas on why this happens or what causes it? :?

The 'dark before ready' is a known bug, but we can't reproduce the other one. Do you get any
messages to stdout.log? Unfortunately the hd* drivers are causing us a lot of headache :(

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby ArDanWol » 23 Mar 2015, 15:37

hiker {l Wrote}:Do you get any messages to stdout.log?

Where do I find it? In 0.8.1, I have a little box that looks like terminal in Linux that displays errors and stuff, but not in 0.8.2. Is that what you're talking about?
ArDanWol

Postby hiker » 25 Mar 2015, 02:19

ardanwol {l Wrote}:
hiker {l Wrote}:Do you get any messages to stdout.log?

Where do I find it? In 0.8.1, I have a little box that looks like terminal in Linux that displays errors and stuff, but not in 0.8.2. Is that what you're talking about?

Check:
http://supertuxkart.sourceforge.net/FAQ ... ig_file.3F
the stdout.log file is in the same directory.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby athlon » 26 Mar 2015, 13:47

Hi
yesterday i downloaded new version of supertux (beta)

why did you switched to new engine? It's barely noticeable except new level design (old levels are more easier for eyes), Shaders, sprites...
i thought that the point is to have free game that is supported and optimized for most systems (lightweight)
was it impossible to implement multi player with old engine and make it even more optimized?
Supertux have excellent gameplay and its playable for most people that are not experienced in gaming.
I think that you would have more audience (players) this way.
i'm not criticizing anything i just need some explanation

thank you
athlon

Postby Auria » 29 Mar 2015, 02:45

athlon {l Wrote}:Hi
yesterday i downloaded new version of supertux (beta)

why did you switched to new engine? It's barely noticeable except new level design (old levels are more easier for eyes), Shaders, sprites...
i thought that the point is to have free game that is supported and optimized for most systems (lightweight)
was it impossible to implement multi player with old engine and make it even more optimized?
Supertux have excellent gameplay and its playable for most people that are not experienced in gaming.
I think that you would have more audience (players) this way.
i'm not criticizing anything i just need some explanation

thank you

Hi,

if you don't notice the difference it must be because you are playing on a low graphical settings; on higher graphical settings the difference is much more noticeable.

As to why a new engine was required, it's simple that STK 0.8.1 still used OpenGL 1, which is now very outdated. The new engine uses OpenGL 3 (which is not even the latest version). We tried to keep compatibility with lower-end or older setups, but if we want to eventually stop looking like a game from 10 years ago, we had no choice but to increase minimum requirements a bit. Of course the game does not yet fully use the potentiel of the new engine; new releases should continue improving karts and tracks to make increased used of the new potential
Auria
STK Moderator