STK Editor Linux Mint

STK Editor Linux Mint

Postby johnno56 » 23 Jan 2015, 00:36

Greetings.

I and my grandkids enjoy playing STK and I would like to try my hand at creating a track.

I use Linux Mint (ubuntu based) and have downloaded the source files. And that is as far as I go. The files are meant to be expanded into the STK 'data' folder but there are no instructions on how to startup the editor. Can anyone help me out?

Regards

J
johnno56

Re: STK Editor Linux Mint

Postby Auria » 26 Jan 2015, 00:27

Hi, I'm afraid we don't have instructions yet. The editor is built with CMake, are you familiar with CMake? That's also what is used to build STK itself so the process would be similar
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby johnno56 » 26 Jan 2015, 01:02

Thanks for replying Auria. I have been watching for a reply for the last two days and was beginning to feel a bit left out... To answer your question. I have used CMake a couple of times but no, I am not all that familiar with it. In my research, I found that I need to also install, the Irrlicht Engine. Found it. Downloaded it. Another compiler nightmare. I am beginning to think that I am not destined to create tracks... *sigh*

I had even concidered running the Windows version of STK (... I am running with 32 bit Linux Mint 17.. sorry, I should have mentioned that earlier. My bad.) STK runs just fine (via Wine), but the editor, could not create the tracks. I do no beleive that the editor is at fault. I beleive it is a problem that "Windows" has trying to create files within a Linux system. It cannot write a track file because it cannot "see" the disk. imho.

The upside is, I have found heaps of tracks that others have created, and have been showing the grandkids what can be produced. Having lots of fun, but wishing I coud do more... I am not complaining about STK, by any means, I think it's great. I am just eager to create my own tracks. I am learning to use Blender so I can try my hand at creating karts as well. Lots to learn and play.

I hope that instructions can be produced soon, but in the meantime, I have some tracks to try out. Again, thanks for replying.

Regards

J
johnno56

Postby Akien » 26 Jan 2015, 09:54

As far as I can tell, to build the editor you will have to use the code at https://github.com/mcsab/stk-editor

First, clone it with git:
$ git clone https://github.com/mcsab/stk-editor

Make sure you have the needed development libraries:
- PhysFS
- Irrlicht

Then initialise it with CMake:
$ cd stk-editor
$ cmake .

If CMake does not complain about missing libraries, you're ready to compile the beat:
$ make -jX
where X stands for the number of CPU cores that you want to allow to the compilation. It's not a big project though so you can also use "make" directly to use only one core.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby deve » 26 Jan 2015, 12:24

Note that you need modified irrlicht. In theory available here:
https://github.com/mcsab/irrlicht
but in practice, you won't compile it with current mesa, so it's a bit burdensome atm.
deve

Postby Akien » 26 Jan 2015, 13:24

It built fine here against system irrlicht and mesa 10.4.2, but maybe some functionalities would be broken, I did not really try to use the editor.
IMO if an irrlicht fork has to be maintained for the editor, it would be best to use STK's Antartica engine directly.
Akien

Postby johnno56 » 26 Jan 2015, 22:05

This is the error I get when trying to install Irrlicht...

In file included from COpenGLDriver.h:25:0,
from COpenGLDriver.cpp:5:
COpenGLExtensionHandler.h:1236:3: error: ‘PFNGLBLENDEQUATIONPROC’ does not name a type
PFNGLBLENDEQUATIONPROC pGlBlendEquation;
^
COpenGLExtensionHandler.h: In member function ‘void irr::video::COpenGLExtensionHandler::extGlBlendEquation(GLenum)’:
COpenGLExtensionHandler.h:2566:6: error: ‘pGlBlendEquation’ was not declared in this scope
if (pGlBlendEquation)
^
make: *** [COpenGLDriver.o] Error 1

I have absolutely no idea what this means or how to fix it... As Pink Floyd would say, "another brick in the wall" *sigh*

J
johnno56

Postby Akien » 26 Jan 2015, 22:56

I think you need this patch which most distros used for their irrlicht package (I took it from fedora): http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauld ... iew=markup

That's one of the reasons why maintaining yet another fork of irrlicht would be ill-advised.
Akien

Postby johnno56 » 27 Jan 2015, 00:42

I do not mean to be a pain in the neck, but I am uncertain, as to what to do with the "patch". Is it meant to replace the existing COpenGLExtensionHandler.h file or to be added to the existing file? Compilling programs, of any kind, I tend not to do without instructions. I'm afraid I might "break" something... *sigh*

J
johnno56

Postby deve » 27 Jan 2015, 07:05

@johnno56 You have this error because you compile irrlicht with mesa 10 and stable irrlicht contains old gl headers (it is updated in current svn). Most distributions patched irrlicht to avoid this problem. Personally I use these two changes:
https://github.com/deveee/supertuxkart- ... f575d86834
https://github.com/deveee/supertuxkart- ... f73a5d39b4

You need to modify existing file, not replace.
deve

Postby Akien » 27 Jan 2015, 11:37

johnno56 {l Wrote}:I do not mean to be a pain in the neck, but I am uncertain, as to what to do with the "patch". Is it meant to replace the existing COpenGLExtensionHandler.h file or to be added to the existing file? Compilling programs, of any kind, I tend not to do without instructions.

If you are not familiar with patches, the easiest solution for you would be to open COpenGLExtensionHandler.h with a text editor, locate the part where changes need to be made (i.e. after "#include <GL/glx.h>" according to the patch), and the add those three lines:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
#ifndef PFNGLBLENDEQUATIONPROC
typedef void (APIENTRYP PFNGLBLENDEQUATIONPROC) (GLenum mode);
#endif

(basically so that the code snippet looks like the patch without the + signs).

You can then save the file, and try to compile again, it should work.
Akien

Postby johnno56 » 27 Jan 2015, 22:03

git cloned both editor and irrlicht. Installed the PhysFS and Irrlicht dev files. Made the appropriate changes to the COpenGLExtensionHandler.h file. Compiled Irrlicht (without the previous error); STK-Editor "cmake ." and "make" completed successfully. What's next?

J
johnno56

Postby Akien » 28 Jan 2015, 11:16

You should now have a "stk-editor" executable where you compiled the editor.
Run it with "./stk-editor", and then select your stk-assets directory, the editor should start with all available content.
Akien

Postby deve » 05 Feb 2015, 10:41

I tried to run stk-editor and atm. I get segfault on startup. I needed this change to make it working:
https://github.com/mcsab/stk-editor/iss ... t-73016471

I hope that this will be fixed soon.
deve

Postby deve » 21 Feb 2015, 12:51

I fixed the crash on startup and created slightly better build system. Now irrlicht is included in stk-editor sources and it can be compiled in the same way as in STK game. You just need physfs developer package on linux or you can force to use static physfs by using cmake option.
https://github.com/supertuxkart/stk-editor

Still good readme file is missing :P And I didn't check if it works on osx.
deve

Postby Auria » 22 Feb 2015, 01:24

If you have a readme file to contribute, a pull request is certainly welcome :)
Auria
STK Moderator