New Item/Powerup Idea

New Item/Powerup Idea

Postby quizywiz » 27 Nov 2014, 16:59

Hey guys, I have an idea for a powerup, at the moment called 'Roadrage'. It makes the kart into a monster truck (can be implemented as increased size?), and the ability to run over other karts (implemented as ignore collisions with other karts somehow?). Going through other karts makes them get squashed. Each kart squashed could give it a minor speed boost.
this is your kart.jpg

this is your kart on ROADRAGE.jpg

Tell me what you think. :)
quizywiz

Re: New Item/Powerup Idea

Postby Auria » 28 Nov 2014, 01:18

Hi, this is not a bad idea, though the kart model actually changing is unlikely at this point since we're pretty short on modellers. Maybe the zipper popup could give you the ability to known out other karts?

(that being said, we are getting closer to 0.8.2 release, so it's unlikely that this changes this release, it's a little too late in the developement cycle. Maybe for the next one)
Auria
STK Moderator

Postby quizywiz » 28 Nov 2014, 07:47

It could be implemented as a "juggernaut" mode perhaps, similar to the 3 strikes mode? Like in the Call of Duty games, one player would have this powerup and extra resistance to bowling balls, cupcakes etc. The kart that defeats the juggernaut becomes the new juggernaut, and the kart with most "squashes" as juggernaut wins.
quizywiz

Postby Tuxfan » 28 Nov 2014, 13:02

Hi quizywiz!
Your hand drawn illustration is really nice.
From a game mechanics perspective your idea is close to the swatter - with the main differnce that is is more easier to use.
Hence, if someone implements it, it probably should replace the swatter.
Tuxfan

Postby Anon » 28 Nov 2014, 17:49

@Auria: I would be wiling to help with making animations for this powerup if there's engine support for playing them.
Anon

Postby eltomito » 29 Nov 2014, 23:01

I think the swatter is baetter than the monster kart, because it has other functions: it gets you rid of the time bomb and it does it in a way that makes sense given the swatter being a swatter.
eltomito

Postby Tiger » 29 Nov 2014, 23:39

Personally, I hate the swatter. There is enough power ups to screw us (the players) and the swatter is one of the most annoying. Everything we don't need is more power ups to to make things easier for the karts controlled by the game and make the race even more difficult for us, who play.

The average amount of attempts (complete or aborted races) to win is already high. I need to play many times to win, because the game is unfair and everything is easier for the karts controlled by scripts. Definitely I don't like the idea of new power ups that can be used against us more than in favor of us.
Tiger

Postby Totoplus62 » 04 Dec 2014, 22:48

I see two problems:
- This is an "aggressive" powerup and there are already plenty of them. We need defensive powerup
- All the powerup are real objects; what kind of object do you want your item to be ?(the zipper is an exception and i really don't like the fact that it represents nothing)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." Features under CC-BY 3.0, CC-BY-SA 3.0 or equivalent GNU license
Image SuperTuxKart Popularity
Totoplus62