Can run STK on debian linux after building

Can run STK on debian linux after building

Postby Alangi » 18 Nov 2014, 16:40

After building on my Debian linux OS, i wanted to test the built version by playing it but i have some problems with the IrrDrivers that can't initialise. But dispite all these, the build is successful and everything is working so far but now the only problem is to run the build and test.
Here is a pastebin link to my glxinfo: http://pastebin.com/eKJUw4EF
and another link for errors while trying to run the built stk: http://pastebin.com/s8pkQpa4
I have discussed on the channel and i was told to wait for Auria, that i might use the old pipeline before it work. So Auria i need you help please
Alangi

Re: Can run STK on debian linux after building

Postby Auria » 19 Nov 2014, 01:29

Hi,

your glx says you only support OpenGL 2.1. Latest STK is designed to run on OpenGL 3, so your setup may be getting a little old to run games. Maybe check if you can upgrade mesa? You are using mesa 8 but the latest version is mesa 10 I think.

In latest git, I've added a little more debug logging which should slightly help debug what is going on, but basically your system is unable to create a recent enough OpenGL frame, even OpenGL 2.1 seems to fail when we attempt to create one.

Does SuperTuxKart 0.8.1 run correctly? STK 0.8.1 still used OpenGL 1, this may mean that your system only supports OpenGL 1 properly. I am not sure what we can do, even OpenGL 2 is pretty old now, if your system cannot create an OpenGL 2 frame it will be pretty hard to do anything about it on our side
Auria
STK Moderator

Re: Can run STK on debian linux after building

Postby deve » 19 Nov 2014, 07:09

On Debian Wheezy it's not possible to upgrade mesa without creating mess in the system. If you have intel card to make mesa 9 work you need to upgrade at least libdrm and kernel. Radeon drivers needs also other dependencies as I remember.

To force to use old pipeline you can edit config file in $HOME/.config/supertuxkart/0.8.2/config.xml and change "enable_dynamic_lights" to "false". You can change also other effects to false. But if your drivers can't create OpenGL context, then this rather won't help.

Edit:
I noticed that you have mess in the system anyway ;) You can try to compile mesa from source. You don't need to override system mesa. You can compile only urgently needed drivers (probably --with-gallium-drivers=r300 --with-dri-drivers="" or something similar) and then use LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variables. Newer mesa drivers are useful also for other applications.

You can also try to run STK without root privileges. Also look at the xorg log if there are no errors (sudo cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep EE)
deve