USB Gamepad for Supertuxkart for Windows 7

USB Gamepad for Supertuxkart for Windows 7

Postby SupertuxkartDriver » 05 Nov 2014, 18:56

Hallo.
Als erstes verzeih mein schlechtes Englisch. Ich habe es mit Google übersetzen lassen.

Ich spiele Supertuxkart unter Windows 7.
Ich möchte mir ein Gamepad kaufen.
Da ich keinen Gameport Anschluss mehr habe, ein Gamepad mit USB.

Welches USB Gamepad würde mit Supertuxkart funktionieren unter Windows 7 ?

Danke.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello.
First, forgive my bad English. I have to translate it with Google.

I play SuperTuxKart under Windows seventh
I want to buy a gamepad.
Since I do not have a game port connection more, a gamepad with USB.

Which USB gamepad would work with SuperTuxKart under Windows 7?

Thank you.
SupertuxkartDriver

Re: USB Gamepad for Supertuxkart for Windows 7

Postby Tuxfan » 05 Nov 2014, 23:45

Hallo SupertuxkartDriver!
Ich selbst nutze zwar nicht Windows als Betriebssystem, empfehle trotzdem aber den Xbox-360-USB-Controller: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_Controller#mediaviewer/File:Xbox-360-Wired-Controller.jpg
Er ist gut verarbeitet und liegt gut in der Hand und wird sehr wahrscheinlich unterstützt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi SupertuxkartDriver!
I do not use Windows as operating system, but nevertheless recommend the Xbox 360 controller. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_Controller#mediaviewer/File:Xbox-360-Wired-Controller.jpg
It is well build, lies comfortably in the hand and is very likely supported.
Tuxfan

Postby Anon » 06 Nov 2014, 01:30

I've been using the Logitech F310 and F710 gamepads under Linux, so they should work perfectly in Windows. If I'm not mistaken, the XBox controller is around $50 (same as the F710), and offers similar features to the F710 (vibration, wireless connectivity). However, STK doesn't seem to use vibration at all, so the F310, F710, and XBox controller should be pretty identical in terms of the experience offered. The only difference is price, in which way the F310 wins with its cost of $35-ish.

So unless you absolutely must have wireless connectivity or the XB controller's layout, I'd say to pick up a F310. Otherwise, go for the XBox controller or the F710 depending on what layout you prefer.
Anon

Postby onpon4 » 06 Nov 2014, 01:49

Anon {l Wrote}:Logitech F310 and F710

I'm familiar with the former; I used to have one before it spontaneously stopped working properly and I tossed it. (This happened to another Logitech controller I once had... I'd have to strongly recommend against Logitech controllers, given my experience.)

In fact, these controllers are exactly the same as XBox 360 controllers in XInput mode, and are recognized as such by software. The only difference is the controller's physical characteristics.
onpon4

Postby hiker » 06 Nov 2014, 05:31

There are some issues with controllers in 0.8.1, e.g. our default deadzone was too small for xbox controller (and others probably).

We have significantly improved this for 0.8.2 (esp. on windows) - for example we have started to add proper names for buttons (no more button 2; now it will be A, X, .. ). So if you should experience some issues with 0.8.1, please wait for our beta (or even better: compile stk yourself ;) ).

We also need feedback from the community (see thread viewtopic.php?f=17&t=5962) to further improve gamepad support.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby Akien » 06 Nov 2014, 09:25

I just received a (cheap) controller that I bought on amazon.de, CSL C180, for something like $15. It feels correct for its price, but I don't expect it to be functional for years; I just wanted to give controllers a first try since I wasn't sure of how well they would be supported on Linux.

Turns out this one works out of the box on Linux, though some buttons are messed up in the driver mapping (0, 1, 2, 3 are assigned to triangle, round, square, cross when most games expect it to be cross, round, square, triangle). It can be remapped with the jscal software (available in RPM based distros as linuxconsoletools and in Debian based distros as joystick).

At first I had to change the buttons in STX 0.8.1, but after remapping them with jscal, I could revert to the default mapping. The only issue I have in STK 0.8.1 is that I can configure only the left axis OR the dpad for movement, while I'd like to have the choice to use both.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby onpon4 » 06 Nov 2014, 12:37

Akien {l Wrote}:some buttons are messed up in the driver mapping (0, 1, 2, 3 are assigned to triangle, round, square, cross when most games expect it to be cross, round, square, triangle).

Every controller has a different button configuration. It's true that the configuration you describe (which I would prefer to describe with directions, "up, right, left, down") is unusual, but the XBox 360 controller layout is hardly a standard; I don't think many controllers that don't try to straight-up mimic the XBox 360 controller use that layout. In my experience, the most common one is left, down, right, up. Up, right, down, left is another fairly common one.
onpon4

Postby Akien » 06 Nov 2014, 13:15

onpon4 {l Wrote}:Every controller has a different button configuration. It's true that the configuration you describe (which I would prefer to describe with directions, "up, right, left, down") is unusual, but the XBox 360 controller layout is hardly a standard; I don't think many controllers that don't try to straight-up mimic the XBox 360 controller use that layout. In my experience, the most common one is left, down, right, up. Up, right, down, left is another fairly common one.

That sounds sensible. The main issue is that most games that I tried seemed to expect a XBox 360-like mapping, at least Trine 2, The Cave, Race the Sun.
Godot Engine project manager and maintainer.
Occasional FOSS gamedev: Lugaru, OpenDungeons, Jetpaca, Minilens.
Akien

Postby SupertuxkartDriver » 07 Nov 2014, 17:45

Tuxfan {l Wrote}:Hallo SupertuxkartDriver!
Ich selbst nutze zwar nicht Windows als Betriebssystem, empfehle trotzdem aber den Xbox-360-USB-Controller: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_Controller#mediaviewer/File:Xbox-360-Wired-Controller.jpg
Er ist gut verarbeitet und liegt gut in der Hand und wird sehr wahrscheinlich unterstützt.

Hi SupertuxkartDriver!
I do not use Windows as operating system, but nevertheless recommend the Xbox 360 controller. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_Controller#mediaviewer/File:Xbox-360-Wired-Controller.jpg
It is well build, lies comfortably in the hand and is very likely supported.

Danke.
Ich werde heute abend den Kabel Controller bestellen (ohne Wifi).
http://www.amazon.de/PC-Xbox-Controller-Windows-schwarz/dp/B004JU0JSK/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1415378530&sr=1-1&keywords=Microsoft+xbox+360+usb+controller

Werde dann nächste Woche bescheid geben ob es funktioniert hat.
SupertuxkartDriver

Postby Tuxfan » 08 Nov 2014, 00:36

Beachte bitte noch den Post von Hiker. Er ist der Projektleiter und meinte, dass im kommenden Supertuxkart 0.8.2 Controller besser unterstütz werden. Vermutlich kommt die neue Version im Dezember raus.
Tuxfan

Postby SupertuxkartDriver » 17 Nov 2014, 21:57

So,

habe mir den Xbox-360-USB-Controller ohne Wifi geholt.
Funktioniert einwandfrei :-)
Bestelle mir die Tage noch einen zweiten :-)
SupertuxkartDriver

Postby dany777 » 02 Dec 2014, 13:42

It IS possible, i have a Logitech gamepad F310, is like an Xbox 360 controller, and works 100%
Hexley, the best character in STK, and probably very few people uses him
dany777