Poseidon's head (the making of)

Poseidon's head (the making of)

Postby samuncle » 17 Sep 2014, 03:42

Hello everybody

I started to make a Poseidon statue for the track Subsea. I thought it might be interesting to share with you the process of creation.

So first you need a picture as a reference to help you. Wikipedia has plenty pictures of Poseidon/Neptune.

Basically my main objective was to get the geometry and topology of the head good. Once it's done you can add details and sculpt it easily.
I started by making the nose and eyes. It's quite important IMHO to get quickly the eyes because eyes are very important for a character.

I completed the mouth

I added the whole face + I started the back of the head with some key faces to guide me. You can enable matcap to see if there is problems and how it looks with a generic material

Once the key faces are done it's just filling the gap.

Now the head is mainly finished. It's low poly, you can easily use it to add details with sculpt mode or in a third party software like Z-brush.

One of the main characteristic of Poseidon is a beard. So I corrected the head by adjusting the ratio and the proportion to be closer to the references. Then I extruded part of the mesh to make the beard.
The finish result.
The wireframe
Polycount: ~1000 poly

Now the basic geometry is done. I can focus on details and his appearance in Supertuxkart.

I hope you will find this topic interesting and let me know if you want more behind the scene like that :)

Sam
samuncle
STK Moderator

Re: Poseidon's head (the making of)

Postby konstin » 19 Sep 2014, 15:13

I'ld like more making of's, but rather as video than as text+screenshots as modelling is a graphical process. For me, something like "Creating the basics of a next-gen stk track" would be very interesting.
konstin

Re: Poseidon's head (the making of)

Postby WillemS » 21 Sep 2014, 20:07

konstin {l Wrote}:I'ld like more making of's, but rather as video than as text+screenshots as modelling is a graphical process. For me, something like "Creating the basics of a next-gen stk track" would be very interesting.

While videos are certainly interesting if you want to see the creation process in detail, I really like the current style of screenshots + text. It shows how the artist works, without needing to watch the entire video.
WillemS