Multimonitor problem, kinda

Re: Multimonitor problem, kinda

Postby LiamM32 » 05 Jun 2014, 00:30

I have also experienced this multimonitor problem yesterday, with similar hardware to the first poster. I launched an self-compiled unstable version of the game in my dual-monitor setup. They were set to extend before, but the game changed my display settings to make the larger monitor duplicate the smaller one, and the resolutions available in settings were small. It wasn't fullscreen so I could change back my display settings, but I would still be playing in a tiny window because of limited resolutions available. I was running Ubuntu 14.04 with an AMD Radeon 260X, a 24-inch 1920x1200 primary monitor, and a 17-inch 5:4 secondary monitor.

You can only use resolutions provided by the engine? That doesn't make sense to me, but I don't know a whole lot about software. I've been able to set a custom resolution in Unity 3D game engine. Shouldn't it be easy with an open-source engine?
I would also like to be able to give each player their own monitor in multiplayer, or position my monitor in portrait orientation in 2-player. Supertuxkart was able to change my display settings, so should it be able to set the screen to verticle?

cand {l Wrote}:Open source games are done by small teams with no funding usually. This means they usually don't have special hw like joysticks, or two screens.

Commercial game with a big budget? They'll just buy any hw for testing, if there's >1% users who demand that.

Well then it seems strange that Wii remotes are getting support. I think it's quite a pointless feature. I was having some compiler errors about some missing Wii Remote driver, although I did succeed in the end. Don't want this to bring any more trouble though.
LiamM32

Postby hiker » 05 Jun 2014, 03:00

Hi

LiamM32 {l Wrote}:You can only use resolutions provided by the engine? That doesn't make sense to me, but I don't know a whole lot about software. I've been able to set a custom resolution in Unity 3D game engine. Shouldn't it be easy with an open-source engine?

It is easy and already support: either start stk with -s 1920x1200, or modify your ~/.config/supertuxkart/config.xml:
{l Code}: {l Select All Code}
    <Video
        width="1024"
        height="768"

I would also like to be able to give each player their own monitor in multiplayer, or position my monitor in portrait orientation in 2-player. Supertuxkart was able to change my display settings, so should it be able to set the screen to verticle?

You should be able to do that by using -s 1200x1920 - though I've never tried ;)

cand {l Wrote}:Open source games are done by small teams with no funding usually. This means they usually don't have special hw like joysticks, or two screens.

Commercial game with a big budget? They'll just buy any hw for testing, if there's >1% users who demand that.

Well then it seems strange that Wii remotes are getting support. I think it's quite a pointless feature. I was having some compiler errors about some missing Wii Remote driver, although I did succeed in the end. Don't want this to bring any more trouble though.

First of all, we got it as a contribution, and we never got a contribution for full dual screen support. As soon as we get this, we will certainly add it. Apart from that, I think actually it's a very nice and useful feature. Especially for kids the number of buttons can be challenging (I am talking of 6 yo or so - and of course it depends on the kid ;) ) Plus I hoped it would actually set STK apart from other racers, though I have to admit that most players were not as much interested as I thought they would be :(

We actually do have the beginning of a patch for running stk on dual screen by placing the players side-by-side, but it apparently didn't work on windows, and since I don't have this kind of setup, I haven't tried to fix it. Ideally we hope that someone who has this setup can provide a patch for us. Anyone interested in looking at that, please let me know and I'll point you to the existing patch.

Cheers,
Joerg
hiker

Postby cand » 05 Jun 2014, 10:12

LiamM32 {l Wrote}:You can only use resolutions provided by the engine?

FYI, the list of resolutions is provided by your driver. There is no list included in the engine.

In addition to what hiker said, the driving force in most OSS is personal interest. It so happens some devs were interested in wiimotes ;)
cand

Postby deve » 16 Aug 2014, 18:33

@ChemBroTron , @LiamM32: I added support for multiple monitors. I checked it on different configurations and window managers and it seems to work fine. Now it's enabled by default in current git.

So, now you can play STK and watch television on the second display at the same time ;) You can even run STK on rotated screen with resolution 1080x1920 (though in this case some part of GUI is wrongly scaled).

There is still not possible to choose from STK GUI on which screen do you want to run it. It would be too much of work - rewrite resolution selection screen and support it in all platforms. Now the game uses screen which is the most on left. Or the "primary" screen if you use environment on which you can choose which screen is "primary" (for example in Gnome preferences).
deve

Postby ChemBroTron » 27 Oct 2014, 22:06

A little bit late, but thank you. I saw, that STK now correctly shows the right resolutions.

P.S.: I usually use IRC, recording software and Pavucontrol on my second screen. :-)
ChemBroTron